The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Red Sabers.....

Spymaster

How so? You mean through polotics? Well that's likely not many of them, so I'll continue do assume most are playing dark. Regardless though, I'm correct in that the color does have signifigance, in this game.

Hello,

I'm not sure what you mean by polotics.

A character who is not strongly aligned to either light or dark can wield a red saber in this game. And since you are speaking of this game, having red sabers in Jedi hands is quite common and a part of our lore.

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what you mean by polotics.

Sorry I meant diplomacy. LoL.... too much time on these boards :eek:

A character who is not strongly aligned to either light or dark can wield a red saber in this game.

Oh ok, I don't use them so I didnt know that. Thanks.

And since you are speaking of this game, having red sabers in Jedi hands is quite common and a part of our lore.

Our characters are not lore.

Edited by Spymaster

Oh ok, I don't use them so I didnt know that. Thanks.

Our characters are not lore.

Hello,

You cannot specify aspects of the game as evidence and then discard the game when it is inconvenient to your point.

In game or out, Red crystals can be wielded by anyone. They are factually used by at least some Jedi in multiple eras. We can't know anything about the thousands of Jedi not mentioned anywhere. You have an absence of evidence. You do not know the percentage of red crystal using Jedi in the game. You have no way to conduct a survey. You also do not know the percentage of red crystal using Jedi in Lore, as you also have no way of conducting a survey.

The vast majority of Jedi have no specific information written about them.

Anywhere.

There is no directory of light sabers, no census of Jedi. Every Jedi ever written about, when combined, fail to amount to more than a miniscule sampling of all Jedi who must have existed in the History of this universe.

Your opinion is nothing more than that, and wishing and hoping and willing your opinion to be more will never make it so. You find red sabers to be emo or unfashionable or too liberal or not conservative enough. Maybe you are upset because all the kids are wearing baggy pants and nose rings, when that never used to be common.

In either case, I hear your laments. You are entitled to them. But I will never support making your personal preferences into a game mechanic, and I will not be silent as you attempt to evangelize against red or slander people because they happen to use red weapons.

Edited by Shaddaq

wow... last i saw this thread it was only at 16 pages... Almost all of the comments had been repeated several times... i'd hate to imagine how many times everyone has repeated each other now...

Spymaster, you might aswell just find a different server now, people will keep posting here if you keep replying. stop replying and they stop provoking you, simple as that :D

Edited by Ithilwen

Hello,

You cannot specify aspects of the game as evidence and then discard the game when it is inconvenient to your point.

In game or out, Red crystals can be wielded by anyone. They are factually used by at least some Jedi in multiple eras. We can't know anything about the thousands of Jedi not mentioned anywhere. You have an absence of evidence. You do not know the percentage of red crystal using Jedi in the game. You have no way to conduct a survey. You also do not know the percentage of red crystal using Jedi in Lore, as you also have no way of conducting a survey.

Anywhere.

There is no directory of light sabers, no census of Jedi. Every Jedi ever written about, when combined, fail to amount to more than a miniscule sampling of all Jedi who must have existed in the History of this universe.

Your opinion is nothing more than that, and wishing and hoping and willing your opinion to be more will never make it so. You find red sabers to be emo or unfashionable or too liberal or not conservative enough. Maybe you are upset because all the kids are wearing baggy pants and nose rings, when that never used to be common.

In either case, I hear your laments. You are entitled to them. But I will never support making your personal preferences into a game mechanic, and I will not be silent as you attempt to evangelize against red or slander people because they happen to use red weapons.

*single tear*

Bless you.

Wookiepedia says that the Jedi Order used lightsabers of all shades and colors.

The Jedi using green and blue lightsabers didn't become a convention until after the Battle of Ruusan, which happened over 2000 years after the events of this game.

Aesthetically I would rather Red be exclusive to Empire and Blue exclusive to Republic but there is nothing inherently wrong with a Jedi using a red lightsaber during the period of the Old Republic.

Sure I can. It depends on the validity of the evidence in question and the argument in place.

In the game the colors DO have significance... so when I see them used IN THE GAME I know what they mean. That's a fact.

Our characters are not lore however. That's another fact.

Just because something in the game means something in game terms doesn't suddenly mean you can make this huge jump and demand I accept everything in the game as lore.

Why do you keep saying this as if it has any meaning to my point?

I don't need specific information about unknown Jedi to tell you what is true about the known ones.

My point is that of the KNOWN Jedi, red is rare. Continually repeating that I don't know every Jedi ever doesn't effect the factual knowledge we do have.

Edited by Arzhanin
Rude comments

wow... last i saw this thread it was only at 16 pages... Almost all of the comments had been repeated several times... i'd hate to imagine how many times everyone has repeated each other now...

Spymaster, you might aswell just find a different server now, people will keep posting here if you keep replying. stop replying and they stop provoking you, simple as that :D

Good advice but I'm enjoying myself at this point.

I mean yeah, the whole "change servers" thing pretty much solved my problem long ago (was that you? if so, thanks again) and the other guy who talked me into just picturing that they're not Jedi at all... that was great... but that doesn't mean I can't defend the postiion from a lore point as well.

Sure I can. It depends on the validity of the evidence in question and the argument in place.

In the game the color's DO have significance... so when I see them used IN THE GAME I know what they mean. That's a fact.

Our characters are not lore however. That's another fact.

Just because something in the game means something in game terms doesn't suddenly mean you can make this huge jump and demand I accept everything in the game as lore.

Hello,

I believe your interpretation of Lore is flawed. However, that no longer matters.

You have made it clear that items and characters in game have no relation to Lore, one way or the other.

So this argument is over. By your standard.

It no longer matters what Lore says. The game is its own entity, and your opinion is only your aesthetic preference in a game, worth no more or less than anyone else's. You can no longer produce evidence to prove any point you may have had. There is no way to show that there "ARE TOO MANY" red sabers in the game.

Cheers,

Because some people can't just admit that this goes against the StarWars setting for game mechanic reasons and move on.

Hello,

The only violation of the Star Wars setting is in assigning alignment restrictions to crystals.

But again, it no longer matters.

The game is its own entity

It doesn't fit the setting based on other established lore.

The only violation of the Star Wars setting is in assigning alignment restrictions to crystals.

And the lack of rarity of colors that are rare, which matters if you want to fit the setting.

Edited by Spymaster

Because it is factual.

I don't care if 1,000 people come in here and say I'm wrong. Jedi using red sabers is not a common thing in Star War historys.

A million people saying something wrong is still wrong.

1 Person saying it's right doesn't fly either. In this case however, Mr. Lucas didn't chime in against it, so, its not shot down either. umadbro?

1 Person saying it's right doesn't fly either

Unless he's right. Which is the case here.

George Lucas doesn't need to tell us that in all known Star Wars lore, red is rare for Jedi, because that lore is already known.

umadbro?

Nope.

Edited by Spymaster

We all know this?

Yes, you do. Anyone who knows anything about Star Wars lore would admit that red is rare for Jedi throughout the known lore, if they weren't just here to argue that is.

I have no evidence to show the paucity of red crystals in Jedi sabers in this era.

I said OTHER KNOWN TIME PERIODS..... NOT THIS ERA. Please, can you just stop twisting what I say in every line and respond to my ACTUAL words?

Edited by Spymaster

Yes, you do. Anyone who knows anything about Star Wars lore would admit that red is rare for Jedi throughout the known lore, if they weren't just here to argue that is.

I said OTHER KNOWN TIME PERIODS..... NOT THIS ERA. Please, can you just stop twisting what I say in every line and respond to my ACTUAL words?

Hello,

So there is no reason to believe there should be a paucity of red Jedi sabers in this era. No evidence pointing to it.

Other eras do have stated color tendencies, although these tendencies are not universal.

This era, however, might have any color trend, fashion, or custom. Or a lack thereof.

So there is no reason to believe there should be a paucity of red Jedi sabers in this era. No evidence pointing to it.

Not true. There is no knowledge of colors during this time, but there is evidence in all other known lore that red is rare fopr Jedi, and that is reason to believe this time period would be more likely to follow the others.

With that said, it's always possible that this is one of the few groups of Jedi who don't follow the patteren of known lore, and a large number of them go with red.... but saying it's possible is not the same as saying it fits the setting of Star Wars.....

so again..... for like the 100th time....

Yes, it's possible that during this era a large number of Jedi used red lightsabers, but no, it doesn't fit into the establised Star Wars setting to have that happen.

Other eras do have stated color tendencies, although these tendencies are not universal.

This era, however, might have any color trend, fashion, or custom. Or a lack thereof.

I've said this from the start.

They "might" have pink unicorns.... that doesn't mean unicorns fit the setting this game is supposed to belong to.

Edited by Spymaster

Pink Unicorns might not fit the setting but Jedis using red lightsabers does.

"For millennia, the Jedi Order lit lightsabers in every color and hue imaginable. However, following the Battle of Ruusan, the hues of most available crystals had been limited to either blue or green."

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber_crystal

The battle of ruusan happened over 2000 years after the events of this game.

Edited by PurpleMagick

Not true. There is no knowledge of colors during this time, but there is evidence in all other known lore that red is rare, and that is reason to believe this time period would be more likely to follow the others.

With that said, it's always possible that this one of the few groups of Jedi who don't follow the patteren of known lore, and a large number go with red.... but saying it's possible is not the same as saying it fits the setting of Star Wars.....

so again..... for like the 100th time....

yes it's possible that during this era a large number of Jedi used red lightsabers, but no, it doesn't fit into the establised Star Wars setting to have that happen.

I've said this from the start. They "might" have pink unicorns.... that doesn't mean unicorns fit the setting this game is supposed to belong to.

Hello,

'Pink Unicorns' is a straw man. However, as you said in a round about fashion, absence of evidence is NOT evidence of absence. You can not extrapolate into this era the trends in other eras. This is especially true when discussing something like color, which has no Lore mechanic. Any year, decade, or century might bring the time when red crystals became fashionable or common. The subsequent year, decade, or century might see them fall out of favor.

You have no evidence to support your position. You only have opinion. You don't like the idea of red sabers, but have zero evidence to show that red sabers are wrong in any quantity here and now.