My GPU reached 106 celsius! (222f)

Johnholliday

It's obvious that the manufacturer of your GPU did not put good enough cooling on your GPU to handle high loads.

A GPU should be able to stay within nominal temperatures even under 100% load.

The manufacturer of your GPU is at fault for not putting good enough heatsink/fan on the GPU so it can handle high loads.

That or they forgot to put thermal paste on or theres not a good seat between the chip and heatsink on it or the fan on it died.

Edited by iResist

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it plays quite well considering. shocking i know

aside from the heat which i think i will resolve by re applying therm paste to the gpu . its old i dont even want to know what it looks like inside.

BOUT TO FIND OUT!

yes i use arctic silver 5 paste. its teh shizz

Oh yeah. Artic Silver is great thermal paste. I don't think I've ever had to replace the thermal paste on my GPU before. Only on my CPU when swapping MOBOs or something. The GPU gets replaced too quickly to worry about the paste, he he. Worth a shot though! Let us know if that does anything.

9800 heats up a lot compared to many cards.

I was running 9800x2 in SLI quite some time back, and once they reached 140 C each. Needless to say they burned up shortly after that.

Still it used to go to 90+ very often, even in a super vented/cooled tower.

Im now on GTX 580 and i dont think ive seen them go over 55 C

lulz that is hot.

are you certain the fan is even running on it? I had a 9800gt that i had to open the case and put a box fan on. lulz

second is the airflow to your case... these cards pull the air from within the case, so if that **** is hot then its just going to get worse and worse.

i'm using a reference 6950 2gb and it's been oc'd @ 1.150v, adjusting fan profiles it idles at 43C and never sees more than 58-59C.

somethin is going on man, its not hard to trace that **** out

didn't even read your post. I have to call shennanigens on this. there is no way in hell that it reached 106 celsius. maybe 106f which is around 36c but not 106c. nice try though.

Uh there are GPUs that can reach 120c

Computers run hot bro, my gtx 560 averages about 65-75c when I play this game, it gets higher if I have AA on and I'm in an area with lots of other players

Which means my card averages between 149F and 167F when I play. Considering his card is fairly old and he might have a very poorly ventilated case, 106c isn't farfetched, especially since when I had my fan turned way down without realizing the other day my card got up to 90c

I suggest the Corsair H60 for a low end water cooling and even if you have a lot of fans and so forth, the direction of the air flow is more important...

I say this because I had a friend with a few 120mm fans but none of them where actually positioned to blow air out of his tower...

I typically sit at around 35C at idle and 42C under load now with the H60...Sometimes a little higher...but not by much...And Youtube is a great source for tutorials when removing and installing new heatsinks and compound..I definitely recommend Artic Silver or whatever the hell its called for a thermal paste!

Ummm nope. A full bag of no actually. He he. 106c is considered overload for a GPU. 70 C is considered at load for most GPUs, with 90 C for high end cards. 106 C is not too far fetched. Sorry man but you are mistaken.

^ this.

my gtx 465 runs ar 95º cels when the game is fully demanding. other games don't demand as much as swtor tho, i am sure there is something not yet properly refined in the graphic engine.

i'll probably watercool it before this summer tho.

^ this.

my gtx 465 runs ar 95º cels when the game is fully demanding. other games don't demand as much as swtor tho, i am sure there is something not yet properly refined in the graphic engine.

i'll probably watercool it before this summer tho.

DAMN! I think the most my temps get now with the H60 is 50C..I use Speedfan to monitor my temps

I suggest the Corsair H60 for a low end water cooling and even if you have a lot of fans and so forth, the direction of the air flow is more important...

I say this because I had a friend with a few 120mm fans but none of them where actually positioned to blow air out of his tower...

I typically sit at around 35C at idle and 42C under load now with the H60...Sometimes a little higher...but not by much...And Youtube is a great source for tutorials when removing and installing new heatsinks and compound..I definitely recommend Artic Silver or whatever the hell its called for a thermal paste!

man, a cpu cooler isnt going to help his GPU temps though...

there are some closed loop watercool'd graphic card solutions but if he's still rocking a 9800gt, then he is not interested in watercooling.

the point is, the card shouldnt run like that unless something has failed... either its the fan on the card or its the fresh air intake for your whole case.

9800 heats up a lot compared to many cards.

I was running 9800x2 in SLI quite some time back, and once they reached 140 C each. Needless to say they burned up shortly after that.

Still it used to go to 90+ very often, even in a super vented/cooled tower.

Im now on GTX 580 and i dont think ive seen them go over 55 C

Yeah i have burned through 2 sli'd 9800s as well, those babys always ran hot. Aww man i remember when those cards were the ****... spent like 300 bucks a piece on them. I bought two more as replacements about a year and a half ago, but they are both still running. My buddy uses them in a PC i helped him build, and he can still run most games on high settings with decent frame rates.

But yeah, 9800s = fire in my experience. Oh and this was in a full tower with six fans and low ambient temps.

man, a cpu cooler isnt going to help his GPU temps though...

there are some closed loop watercool'd graphic card solutions but if he's still rocking a 9800gt, then he is not interested in watercooling.

the point is, the card shouldnt run like that unless something has failed... either its the fan on the card or its the fresh air intake for your whole case.

Yea I get it now...Im a take a look tonight to see what temp my GPU is hitting...Speedfan is a good free prog to monitor temps and as long as you see blue check marks next to all the temps, you are right where you need to be...Air Flow is definitely huge!!! Got to make sure its flowing in and right out...Some people who have installed their own fans have them blowing air at eachother and the hot air just sitting inside the tower...Def check your fans directions...

Ugh, yeah I'm dreading the summer. My most recent build included the EVGA GTX570 SC Edition. I live in Alberta, Canada so it's pretty much winter all year. But when its hot, its hot. Ha ha. I bought it in October so it was decently cold out. It hasn't even seen hot weather yet, so I'll have to wait and see how the ambient temp. handles with it. Currently it averages about 76 C when playing games on high load. I turn the fan speed down too if I want a completely silent gaming experience (I have a Hyper Plus 212 on my CPU which I replaced the fan on... it runs at about 22 decibels so I barely hear it, and my PSU is a Thermaltake 850 X2 unit which runs at about 25 dec. which I also can not even really hear. It's the GPU that gets loud. Ha ha. If it does, then I bring the speed down which usually takes the 76 C up to about 90 which is still fine for that card).

3 people on this forum know what thermal paste is. While I can appreciate your knowledge it needs to be kept "simple."

Kids will be breaking their graphics cards left and right with butter knives. lol.

airflow will help a couple degrees, but only if you turn on the air conditioner.

I have to have my house at 64 degrees in order to maintain a 4.8Ghz benchmark with my chip. Ambient tempreture matters a lot. with or without water cooling.

Your sig alone set you up for fail good sir. Please come speak with me when you are cooling systems with LN2 and benching at 5.5ghz and higher.

As far as keeping it simple; Thermal paste isn't a ridiculously complex install. There is such a thing as a "google" if you ask the "google" to find things it does. I asked the "google" for a 9800 Thermal paste how to and it gave me this. How to clean and re-thermal your 9600 GT The numbers aren't the same, but it doesn't say to eat the paste so it's a step in the right direction.

As far as kids with butter knives bricking their video cards.... Let them. I warned in my original post if you weren't familiar with it to just leave it alone. However, if they never tried to do anything outside of their comfort zone they'd never learn. I'm sure none of us ever took apart remotes, or rc cars as kids....

My card hit 105c. Was a hunk of junk anyway. The fan on the gpu quit spinning. I cleaned it out real well, and it didn't get that high again, but the damage had been done. Two days later it died.

I then went to a shop and bought a used GeForce 8800 GT overclocked for $20 and now I can run this game on close to max settings. No lie.

Your sig alone set you up for fail good sir. Please come speak with me when you are cooling systems with LN2 and benching at 5.5ghz and higher.

As far as keeping it simple; Thermal paste isn't a ridiculously complex install. There is such a thing as a "google" if you ask the "google" to find things it does. I asked the "google" for a 9800 Thermal paste how to and it gave me this. How to clean and re-thermal your 9600 GT The numbers aren't the same, but it doesn't say to eat the paste so it's a step in the right direction.

As far as kids with butter knives bricking their video cards.... Let them. I warned in my original post if you weren't familiar with it to just leave it alone. However, if they never tried to do anything outside of their comfort zone they'd never learn. I'm sure none of us ever took apart remotes, or rc cars as kids....

+1 rep if I could. Applying Thermal Paste should be a 1 on a scale of ease for computer fixes. If your favorite sticker in your sticker book came off... you'd put glue on it and repaste it carefully. Same basic knowledge applies here. And just as you stated... do not eat the paste. Same with glue. lol. Good post though!

Ugh, yeah I'm dreading the summer. My most recent build included the EVGA GTX570 SC Edition. I live in Alberta, Canada so it's pretty much winter all year. But when its hot, its hot. Ha ha. I bought it in October so it was decently cold out. It hasn't even seen hot weather yet, so I'll have to wait and see how the ambient temp. handles with it. Currently it averages about 76 C when playing games on high load. I turn the fan speed down too if I want a completely silent gaming experience (I have a Hyper Plus 212 on my CPU which I replaced the fan on... it runs at about 22 decibels so I barely hear it, and my PSU is a Thermaltake 850 X2 unit which runs at about 25 dec. which I also can not even really hear. It's the GPU that gets loud. Ha ha. If it does, then I bring the speed down which usually takes the 76 C up to about 90 which is still fine for that card).

It's funny how cards can vary so much. I have this exact same card, and although it runs hottest while playing swtor, it never gets above 65 C with the fan running around 1400-1500rpm, which is silent. I can hear the case fans (hafx) which are very quiet big fans, but not the video card fan. I can start to hear it if I manually turn the fan up to say, 60%, but it never runs hot enough to ramp up like that - even when room temperature is 75 degrees plus. Right now the card is sitting at exactly 30C and the fan is idling at 1380rpm. The thermometer sitting next to my tower reads 70.1F. I'll hop on swtor in a while and play for several hours and the temp will be between 60-65C.

UPDATE::

I removed the plastic cover for the card to do a thorough air cleaning and wholy ****!!

air cleaning out the tower and close to the card/fan etc was not doing a damn thing to clean the card.

the ENTIRE pathway from the heatsink to the fan was blocked from dust buildup...

Evidentally , with this model card, because it has a plastic housing protecting the entire board, I have not been cleaning it properly as i thought i was before.

wholy crap

Edited by Johnholliday

3. Or driver issues.

4. Or PSU issues (a GPU not getting enough power would cause the fans to not run properly which in turn would cause over heating)

5. Or a Virus set to slow the fan ratings which would not allow proper cooling to the GPU.

To name a few. It could be a number of things. he he.

That's still just 3 issues. 4 and 5 still boil down to bad airflow. :p

Edited by imtrick

UPDATE::

I removed the plastic cover for the card to do a thorough air cleaning and wholy ****!!

air cleaning out the tower and close to the card/fan etc was not doing a damn thing to clean the card.

the ENTIRE pathway from the heatsink to the fan was blocked from dust buildup...

Evidentally , with this model card, because it has a plastic housing protecting the entire board, I have not been cleaning it properly as i thought i was before.

wholy crap

i will monitor the max temp i get now and see how big of a decline it will be . i still expect this card to run hot , im hoping for 90c max. its a step in the right direction.

if your vcard runs hot and has a plastic housing covering the board, take that off and air clean.