No lie, this game's release felt like

CalvinDu

If you watch the films objectively and completely ignore that the movies take place in the Star Wars universe you'll see just how bad they are.

The directing, the acting, the writing, the editing, the over-reliance on early to mid 2000's CGI technology. They are just bad.

That describes The Phantom Menace, yes, but Attack of the Clones wasn't nearly as bad (just the love story part got annoying quick) and Revenge of the Sith was downright good.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet, people have posted their opinion that they disagree with me. This game lived up to their own hype. I respected that.

I also respect(Hmm, probably not in my head but..) the people who found the Phantom Menace to be good too.

You can post that you disagree with me and state your opinion why, the whole point of this thread was to see if other people agreed with me, or if they don't.

It's not hard to understand.

Apparently you don't understand the very simple concept of a discussion where the terms are neutral.

Neutral arguments promote the most productive conversations and will attract people for their ideas.

Posting something in a trollish manner, or posting YOUR opinion as fact and then asking others to refute it is BIAS and only promotes TROLLS.

See how that works?

If you had posted something like:

Some people believe this game lived up to the hype, others believe that the hype was much bigger than this game will ever be?

What do you think?

Personally I believe blah blah etc..etc...

See how that works?

This will be my quickest reply ever, there are many things but I think the easiest for you to find out for yourself right now since you're already on this site..

Check the gameplay trailers/gameplay pictures. Do they have the same texture/graphical shadow quality of the game we currently have? No.

Just one example.

Ya they do.

For me at least...

Get rid of fleet stations, we have these amazing cities and no one in them because everyone is in the fleet. All you have to do to get people grouping is make all city chats connect to each other.

I was thinking this too. Fleet shouldn't allow speeders. It doesn't make sense.

Allow all the cities to have the same access to the same stuff in the fleet. PVP and PVE vendors. Quest Terminals. Ect ect. Oh and the cities can have speeders, just not indoors.

The bonus series for all the planets should be lvl 50 daily quest. I'm tired of being stuck on ilum and belsavis. I guess you can say I'm stuck on the fleet too. I have no reason to hang out on these other planets.

I also think this would help with distributing the stress for the zones. Maybe even breathe some life into Tattooines FFA pvp area.

OH FFA PVP quest. That would be legit.

I have so many ideas I'd like to see happen.

It delivered in many fronts actually. Yes it could be improved, but it's amazing that a few bugs and a UI can cause so much hate.

I do agree, it's okay for me for what it is.

Just no where near what I expected..

Case in point.. like when The Phantom Menace came out.(A kid's movie;))

Edited by CalvinDu

It's not a bash of the game. I enjoy the game for the most part.

My topic is about my hype and to see if anyone else shares the same feeling. Can we not have a discussion about this?

It's not much of a discussion when you make comments like:

The key to remember when you're going to post here is that.. admit it, you were expecting more.

In your first post.

By doing so you're attempting to sway any arguments to your view before they're even made by basically calling anyone who disagrees with you somehow deluded or a liar. All you can say is YOU expected more.

For me, i knew exactly what to expect, and i'm enjoying it. No snide comments on your part is going to change that.

This will be my quickest reply ever, there are many things but I think the easiest for you to find out for yourself right now since you're already on this site..

Check the gameplay trailers/gameplay pictures. Do they have the same texture/graphical shadow quality of the game we currently have? No.

Just one example.

They explained why they had to lower the graphics quality, that's just the way video games and technology works, it's an MMO, dumbing down the graphics was actually the smartest thing they did, did you see the lag people were having on Ilum when 1.1 hit? Imagine how bad it would have been if they had kept the high resolution textures, people's games would probably be freezing and crashing...

The key to remember when you're going to post here is that.. admit it, you were expecting more.

I wasn't expecting more. I knew what was coming having been in beta for a year and perfectly content with what's been delivered and can easily wait while they fix this and that...because over 15+ years of MMOs you see it all and know what to expect.

Just one example.

Uh... yes. Actually yes, they do.

It's not much of a discussion when you make comments like:

In your first post.

By doing so you're attempting to sway any arguments to your view before they're even made by basically calling anyone who disagrees with you somehow deluded or a liar. All you can say is YOU expected more.

For me, i knew exactly what to expect, and i'm enjoying it. No snide comments on your part is going to change that.

When I say that, it's more of an idea for me to push into the reader's head.

It's the concept of every discussion when discussing the prequel movies.. you were expecting more.

The fact that I'm comparing the release of the 'The Phantom Menace' to this game, what was wrong with that statement?

The release of The Phantom Menace.

The amazing trailer(s) and years of hype.. and we get this.

Enjoyable to play sometimes, but nothing as great as I expected.:cool:

Please don't lock this thread mods, it's a discussion/topic about the release hype of this game.

I'm fairly certain asking the mods not to lock a thread is a good way to get them to lock it; it's showing you're worried you might be posting something inappropriate for the boards. ;)

This said, I personally thought that Phantom Menace lived up to the hype. I think that people forget George Lucas' sensibilities have always been geared more towards special effects and younger mindsets than really in-depth story. If you want to be honest about it, both the Skywalker boys represented in the movies were whiny and had a proclivity to blame others for their problems. We'll ignore the ookiness of Luke having a thing for his sister (man, that family's messed up from start to end...), and let it go there.

I think this game is just fine. It's fun, and I can't wait to get home from work each evening to play for a couple hours. That's my personal hallmark for a game's success.

While I do find SWTOR to be less than awesome, there is nothing since the dawn of time that compares to the disappointment that was Ep. 1. The Axis powers weren't as disappointed after WWII as SW fans were after Ep. 1. Romans weren't as disappointed after being starved, burned, and looted by the Visigoths. No event in recorded history can possibly compare to the utter letdown that was The Phantom Menace.

aka...think the way I do.

/thread

Do you even know what the topic of this thread is about?

Comparing the release of the 2nd Star War trilogy to this game, what was wrong with the 'The Phantom Menace' to many of it's critics?

Tell me. Because all I can think of.. people were expecting more.

Stop trying to derail my topic please and thank you.

Edited by CalvinDu

Well, there's the problem! lol Glad we cleared that up!

The game we're playing is called Star Wars: The Old Republic. You should check it out! :D

The game where it was confirmed that the quality of the graphics aren't the same as advertised, by the devs themselves?

Edited by CalvinDu

I dont see whats wrong with Jar-Jar binks or esp 1.

In fact the day I went to see esp 1 first day in theaters everyone left clapping.

that would be denial working. anyway, it takes a bit for reality to set in when the movie was so incredibly hyped and was held to such high expectations. when you *want* something to be as amazing as you think it should be, it's easy to gloss over negative attributes and only focus on the positive. it's a matter of human nature, really.

lots of relationships lead to disappointment because the people involved were too enthralled with the excitement of something new, and ignored a ton of incompatible flaws. fans enter into a "relationship" with products such as the movie or this game, and the effects are the same.

i had never considered the association between the prequels and SWTOR until the OP mentioned it, but it's kind of funny, sad, and true.

Also, the graphics are only going to get better as time goes by. It's how MMOs work. The released package is NEVER the finished package. MMos are born, then they evolve.

Except that, in this case, the release package is worse than the beta package... and all of the advertised material.

When I say that, it's more of an idea for me to push into the reader's head.

It's the concept of every discussion when discussing the prequel movies.. you were expecting more.

The fact that I'm comparing the release of the 'The Phantom Menace' to this game, what was wrong with that statement?

I didn't mention anything about the phantom menace, you can compare it to whatever you want. I was talking about you trying to tell people that they should admit that they expected more.

Again you say; "You were expecting more". Do you have some sort of ESP that allows you to know what i'm thinking? If you do there's a million prize out there waiting for you.

No i wasn't. I actually researched this game instead of making up my own version of the game in my head. I played the open beta, watched gameplay videos, replayed KOTOR 1 and 2. When i started playing the live account i knew EXACTLY what to expect.

The game where it was confirmed that the quality of the graphics aren't the same as advertised, by the devs themselves?

So... what you're saying is, the devs admitted they had to lower the graphics slightly (which still look awesome, imo), then proceeded to show us footage of the game with these new slightly lowered graphics over the course of many months, then released the game with said graphics... and you feel like you were fooled somehow?

They explained why they had to lower the graphics quality, that's just the way video games and technology works, it's an MMO, dumbing down the graphics was actually the smartest thing they did, did you see the lag people were having on Ilum when 1.1 hit? Imagine how bad it would have been if they had kept the high resolution textures, people's games would probably be freezing and crashing...

And for the people that couldn't handle "high" textures, they could drop down to "medium".