James Ohlen discusses the challenges of building a Star Wars MMO.

Hanni

The other challenge was to live up to and push beyond the expectations that MMO games like World of WarCraft have created. Players aren't going to understand if you don't have industry standard features. It's been a big challenge making sure that we can put in all of those features into our game at game launch or shortly thereafter.

I sure hope he doesn't believe he's completed that "challenge".

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blizzard planned progression very well. You couldn't skip content, really. Gearing followed an orderly progression (quest, dungeons, ubrs, raids). Plus it took longer to hit 60.

Tor levels you way too fast, you can easily skip content / grinds.

Pacing in tor is off along with a lot of other stuff.

Ok this guy's answers are very telling on why the game turned out the way it did.

IGN: What are you most proud of when it comes to Star Wars: The Old Republic?

Ohlen: I think I'm most proud that we were able to pull off a game that literally has the scope of every other Bioware game that's been created. The scope of the Old Republic is so vast that it almost seemed ridiculous that we were going to build such a big game back when we were planning out the game. But we managed to do it. The team really has done a great job of creating great quality content at a huge scale.

So you're most proud that Bioware has done what they've always done?! How sad is that?! You should be trying to get better overtime, not stay the same! It's one of the many reasons this MMO came out so lackluster.

Blizzard planned progression very well. You couldn't skip content, really. Gearing followed an orderly progression (quest, dungeons, ubrs, raids). Plus it took longer to hit 60.

Tor levels you way too fast, you can easily skip content / grinds.

Pacing in tor is off along with a lot of other stuff.

I think the leveling in ToR is about right. ITs fast and fun. Leveling in wow took to long. There was no gear progression until you got to around lvl 55 when you could get your dungeon set. Then at 60 you could get Tier 1 and 2. After That it was just following up raid tiers at each max level introduced and later on Arena gear for pvp.

Progression of gear got out of hand too in WoW with insane amounts of HP etc. Resilience really added in the broken factor and I consider it the most horrible stat ever introduced.

However wow did a lot of things right, they made systems from other games better but the same. It was accessible to everyone regardless of experience level in gaming.

I haven't seen a critic review below 70%... Even user reviews are above average overall. GOTY... "best MMO launch ever" has been said about it even.

also for all wondering, avarage magazine review is a 8.2 or so. So its not doing that badly at all.

Sort of like...Dragon Age 2. And we ALL know how good that game was....

I think the leveling in ToR is about right. ITs fast and fun. Leveling in wow took to long.

There's a reason for that. It took me 3 months to get to 60 in WoW. In TOR, less than a month to 50. And now there is nothing to do.

Bioware can't make content fast enough with their game paced this way. That's why this game isn't going to work long term as an MMO. Whine all you want about grinds, but they serve a very clear purpose - to slow down players and to give them something to do.

Edited by EternalFinality

Sort of like...Dragon Age 2. And we ALL know how good that game was....

There's a reason for that. It took me 3 months to get to 60 in WoW. In TOR, less than a month to 50. And now there is nothing to do.

Bioware can't make content fast enough with their game paced this way. That's why this game isn't going to work long term as an MMO. Whine all you want about grinds, but they serve a very clear purpose - to slow down players and to give them something to do.

This feller got his head screwed on straight.

Also, what with all the fancy voice actin gotta go in, new content come slower, you kennit?

I hear many of them guilds is just skippin flashpoints, becuz they is more useless than a dingo's fart.

Too bad, some of them places is purty. And killing that darth malgus huckster was sure satisfyin.