The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

How to deal with encounters with more than 2 strong mobs?

ultremann

Hey all,

I'm currently level 31 and going up the pyro tree. I never have any issues with the solo content except for when it comes to the boss parts of the quests and you have to defeat the boss (usually either a strong or elite) and all his minions (which usually have another strong). I usually have to kill as many as I can first then revive and finish the rest. Is there a better way to handle these situations? I currently have Mako's casting attack turned off and in the med watch stance.

I'm not sure about the BH, but I play the Merc's mirror class (Commando) and we have a 60 sec cc that breaks on dmg. Normally for those types of encounters I cc the toughest enemy (unless its a champion) and then take out the adds, rechage and then go for the guy I cc'd. If it takes longer than 60 seconds just reapply the cc and keep on going.

Edit: My apologies I didn't read. Your not a merc. Well in that case are you tank spec? Or is Mako your healing compation? I would use a healer for those situations where the fight will last more than 60 sec.

Edited by Bournsac

I'm not sure if you have this yet but try using that PVE only stun time reducer to get an extra stun. Also killing the weak mobs with something like DFA and using your explosive dart at the start are helpful. Also always interrupt the highest level mobs. This will usually make or break a fight. Edited by Vauleen

I'm not sure if you have this yet but try using that PVE only stun time reducer to get an extra stun. Also killing the weak mobs with something like DFA and using your explosive dart at he start are helpful. Also always interrupt the highest level mobs. This will usually make or break a fight.

Pretty much this. Also don't be afraid to use shoulder slam to help wipe out a silver or below quicker.

For lower lvls since u dont have shoulder slam, This is what i do: Even though Im pyro i still carry around a decent shield generator. Throw on Ion gas cylinder. This will decrease your dps a little but for the most part the extra 15% shield chance and 50% armor and 5% dmg reduction will help out significantly. The sub strong mobs will get taken out by DFA and an exploding dart. On opening i pretty much blow my high energy shield since this is when i will be taking the most dmg and DFA, exploding dart. By this time u may need 1-2 shots to finish off the non strong/elite. I pop my stun dart onto the elite and unload into the strong and use a med pac if needed. IF its taking too long u always ahve ur companion ability to regen health and to get an extra stun dart for the elite. Once all the strong mobs are dead, the elite is left and there u go.

also makos healing abilites have CDs. like 6,9,12 if i remeber correctly and kolto jolt puts a debuff on u. You dont have to turn off all of her attacks b/c she will help dps some down rather than sitting there doing nothing once all heals are on cd. This will happen from time to time wheree shes basically doing nothing.

open with Death from Above to wipe out the small guys, then finish them off before engaging the big guy. While they do less damage it is constant added damage which can be easily stopped but a few quick attacks each.

Death from Above, Railshot one while he is down, hit another with incin missle, switch to the third and stick them with a dart. when it goes off it should finish all of them. If not line them up for a flame thrower and it should do the job.

Do the opposite of what the mob does if possible, for most standard (non-boss) mobs I just go toe to toe, running around and kiting will end up pulling more bad guys into the fight.

Keep Mako on healing duty, make sure she has all her abilities turned off and her healing buff turned on and make sure you are updating her in Cunning armor, it makes a huge difference on the amount she heals. use your area attacks wisely (Explo / Flamethrower) but focus all damage on one mob

Edited by DredlyLB

I'm working on just going up the pyrotech tree, and as far as abilities go, I just pretty much received the taunt missile. The only real stun I have is electro dart which only last 4 seconds. I usually do DFA to get rid of the normal guys as quick as possible then focus on one of the stronger mobs while using quell and ED on the one I'm trying to take down. Should I be using ED on the other one instead? I guess as I level up there will be more tools at my disposal.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

nope, ED won't do anything but damage to the strong mobs, it will put a few second stun on weaker ones though.

for stronger mobs just use it for the damage that it does and the splash damage helps weaken the second mob if theres more then 1