Sentinel rotation, open for discussion and critique

khsolo

lvl50, watchman spec, 1200 strenght, 17500 hp, 3200 armor, 99% acc, 20% crit, 80% surge, 300 expertise, 3 sec ability force leap inmobilize, cauterize does 30% speed reduction 100% chance

1st wave attack: Leap, overload, zealous, cauterize, strike, strike, merciless, storm

2nd wave attack: strike, strike, stasis, slash, go back to 1st wave

Discuss pls

Urm for PvE or PvP?

For Pve works great because before storm i do one more round of strike and do sweep, for PvP i usually do:

1. Camouflage, zealous, cauterize, strike, strike, merciless, storm and usually thats about the time i have before hitting trascendence, rebuke, medpack, and running out if im lucky

Here's my critique:

1) For a Watchman, Blade Storm really shouldn't be in the mix. For the same cost (4), you can drop two Slashes, which do about the same amount of damage combined but each has a chance to crit.

2) The charges from Overload Saber are applied on physical strikes, so you get more out of the burn effects if you try to spread out the application a bit. You can read about the theory behind using OS in the primer here ---> http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=47695#theory_os

Pretty much the easiest way to do that is by dropping a Force Sweep in there. While that OS guide suggests also using Stasis, I prefer to avoid it because it eats up time that you're not gaining centering, and also if you're fighting multiple enemies, you're taking hits at that time.

Under ideal settings, I use this:

Leap (+3) - Opportune Strike (if the target gets slowed - FREE) - Overload Saber (-3) - Zealous Strike (+6) - Cauterize (-2) - Force Sweep (-1) - Strike (+2) - Merciless (-5)

Then while I'm waiting on CDs I'll either drop a Force Stasis or drop Strikes/Slashes as available.

The idea of a rotation is nice to have in mind, but typically what happens, especially when Slash and Merciless bring Cauterize off CD, I'll immediately apply Cauterize again when it's burned off of my opponent. So I use more of a priority system:

As far as Focus builders its: Zealous Strike > Leap > Strike > Force Stasis

For Focus spenders its: Cauterize > Overload Saber > Merciless > Slash

Force Sweep is mixed in as needed to break up the charges on OS. I'll throw in Master Strike if I'm running short on Focus and think I can finished my enemy with it. Blade Storm and Riposte are not used.

That's my strategy, at least. I'm a strictly PvE player.

Edited by SteveGarbage

Here's my critique:

1) For a Watchman, Blade Storm really shouldn't be in the mix. For the same cost (4), you can drop two Slashes, which do about the same amount of damage combined but each has a chance to crit.

2) The charges from Overload Saber are applied on physical strikes, so you get more out of the burn effects if you try to spread out the application a bit. You can read about the theory behind using OS in the primer here ---> http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=47695#theory_os

Pretty much the easiest way to do that is by dropping a Force Sweep in there. While that OS guide suggests also using Stasis, I prefer to avoid it because it eats up time that you're not gaining centering, and also if you're fighting multiple enemies, you're taking hits at that time.

Under ideal settings, I use this:

Leap (+3) - Opportune Strike (if the target gets slowed - FREE) - Overload Saber (-3) - Zealous Strike (+6) - Cauterize (-2) - Force Sweep (-1) - Strike (+2) - Merciless (-5)

Then while I'm waiting on CDs I'll either drop a Force Stasis or drop Strikes/Slashes as available.

The idea of a rotation is nice to have in mind, but typically what happens, especially when Slash and Merciless bring Cauterize off CD, I'll immediately apply Cauterize again when it's burned off of my opponent. So I use more of a priority system:

As far as Focus builders its: Zealous Strike > Leap > Strike > Force Stasis

For Focus spenders its: Cauterize > Overload Saber > Merciless > Slash

Force Sweep is mixed in as needed to break up the charges on OS. I'll throw in Master Strike if I'm running short on Focus and think I can finished my enemy with it. Blade Storm and Riposte are not used.

That's my strategy, at least. I'm a strictly PvE player.

Rgr ty man

Slash cost 3 focus not 2 btw

Some say the amount of damage by keeping your 3 stacks or burned effects is lower than the amount you could do if choose another ability but noone has proven that yes or no to this date with a calculator in hand, i should try it just incase to see if it works

Also i dont have ability points on the ability need it to have 66% chance of finishing the cd of merciless cause i dont like 66%, it it was 100% it would be worth the 3 ability points but otherwise 3 ability points is a lot

Usually for PvE i do sweep before storm to stun targets

Either way ty man, Cheers

Cheers

STEVE GARBAGE

Your rotation looks good except for with staggering your OS hits on the target it looks like your stacks will fall off and you will have to re-apply all 3. On a boss fight that does not seem very dps friendly as it would gimp your overall dps. Now I could be wrong of course as this is all on our own best critigue of our own charecters, but I am having to use a priority rotation that includes almost every ability i have

Force leap, OS, ZS, Force Sweep, Cauterize, Bladestorm, Slash/merci slash, OS, Force leap, Cauterize, Force sweep, ZS, Force stasis, Merciless slash, etc etc etc

also mixed in there are Zen once 3 stacks are up, And throw in Dispatch below 20% when u can if u can and also your free heavy hitters if target is immobolized, and that all becomes very difficult to maintain if you are trying to keep 3 stacks of OS up at all times.

Now are you saying that I do not have to keep up 3 stacks at all times? Have you tested that? Because if I can take some of this stuff out of my rotation OMG I would love to because it just seems very overwhelming at times..Your thoughts please

Edited by Solohobbit

I love my sentinel. With Combat, I do about 3.5-5k+ damage opening rotation.

I save force leap for push backs... Note I have Debilitation at 100%

Zealous Strike > Precision Slash > Master Strike > (By this time I should have Combat Trance) Blade Storm Crit > Basic Strikes

*If Combat Trance isn't up, I do blade rush, then blade storm.

After opening rotation, while Master Strike is on cooldown:

switch between blade rush, blade storm, and normal strikes. Always aware of Zealous strike, Precision Slash, master strike, blade rush, blade storm. Dispatch at low health.

Of course, there are variations, depending on cooldowns... Force Stasis and Zen... I tend to win 80%+ of 1vs1 battles, so I have a good idea of this rotation working well. Pop Rebuke and Saber Ward together with 1vs1. Pacify after saber ward is done. Guarded by the force if you want those exra 5 seconds for dispatch or something else.

Edited by OzzieVilomar

I love my sentinel. With Watchmen, I do about 3.5-5k+ damage opening rotation.

I save force leap for push backs... Note I have Debilitation at 100%

Zealous Strike > Precision Slash > Master Strike > (By this time I should have Combat Trance) Blade Storm Crit > Basic Strikes

*If Combat Trance isn't up, I do blade rush, then blade storm.

After opening rotation, while Master Strike is on cooldown:

switch between blade rush, blade storm, and normal strikes. Always aware of Zealous strike, Precision Slash, master strike, blade rush, blade storm. Dispatch at low health.

Of course, there are variations, depending on cooldowns... Force Stasis and Zen... I tend to 80% of 1vs1 battles, so I have a good idea of this rotation well. Pop Rebuke and Saber Ward together with 1vs1. Pacify after after saber ward is done. Guarded by the force if you want those exra 5 seconds for dispatch or something else.

I don't think you're Watchman, my man. LOL

STEVE GARBAGE

Your rotation looks good except for with staggering your OS hits on the target it looks like your stacks will fall off and you will have to re-apply all 3. On a boss fight that does not seem very dps friendly as it would gimp your overall dps. Now I could be wrong of course as this is all on our own best critigue of our own charecters, but I am having to use a priority rotation that includes almost every ability i have

Force leap, OS, ZS, Force Sweep, Cauterize, Bladestorm, Slash/merci slash, OS, Force leap, Cauterize, Force sweep, ZS, Force stasis, Merciless slash, etc etc etc

also mixed in there are Zen once 3 stacks are up, And throw in Dispatch below 20% when u can if u can and also your free heavy hitters if target is immobolized, and that all becomes very difficult to maintain if you are trying to keep 3 stacks of OS up at all times.

Now are you saying that I do not have to keep up 3 stacks at all times? Have you tested that? Because if I can take some of this stuff out of my rotation OMG I would love to because it just seems very overwhelming at times..Your thoughts please

I agree, will try to switch between merciless and storm to see if i can keep the 3 stacks up or maybe add something else in between before i put the third stack if it really does more damage

Cheers and ty for the imput

Gonna have to test it tonight with some bosses and see

• 1 year later...

Actually...the priorities given earlier for focus burning attacks are a bit off...

Should be:

1. Merciless

2. O-S

3. Cauterize

4. Dispatch

5. Masterstrike

This priority will lead you to Max dps.

You can check your logs, your highest damage should be burns >merciless >dispatch >masterstrike. In a long protracted fight masterstrike and dispatch may be swapped...that's ok...just use masterstrike when everything is on CD in place of slash as it does lots more damage and burns no focus. This will lead to using focus builders less and increase dps.