PT PvP survivability on non tanking spec.

toastmuffin

Hi, i am curious about powertech's survivability for pyrotech/AP builds esp Pyro. I see that PTs get the best of out their sheild generator from deep Shield Tech and Pyro/APs dont have good toe to toe CD defensive cooldowns apart from Energy Shield.

Is the pyrotech a glass cannon melee combatant which is kinda bizarre since we our main damage dealing ability and proc RNG refresher is rocket punch/flameburst?

TLDR: what defensive options does a pyrotech PT have, apart from combustion kiting for melee?

Hi, i am curious about powertech's survivability for pyrotech/AP builds esp Pyro. I see that PTs get the best of out their sheild generator from deep Shield Tech and Pyro/APs dont have good toe to toe CD defensive cooldowns apart from Energy Shield.

Is the pyrotech a glass cannon melee combatant which is kinda bizarre since we our main damage dealing ability and proc RNG refresher is rocket punch/flameburst?

TLDR: what defensive options does a pyrotech PT have, apart from combustion kiting for melee?

I'm hesitant to call a full pyro a true glass canon but yes we are vulnerable to focus fire, maybe the most vulnerable melee spec in the game.

We have no real escape options and defensively we just have the shield (and our small regen ability but that's not much).

Pretty much the mantra of a pyrotech is a good defense is a strong offense, and it works pretty well a lot of the time, till you get focused down.

You can shore up your defenses a bit by trading some dps for some surviability.

Spurgo's "bulldog" build can work especially if you team up with a healer and guard them slightly better defense slightly less offense, however combined with the little extra defense and having a healer tagging along you can pretty resilent and still do strong damage.

There's also the Parakeet build, more defense but even less offense, it's pretty much a tanking build.

If you want to stay pure pyro with the CGI cylinder and all (or almost all) offensive talents then you just have to pick your battles, you have grapple, peel off players away from the group, make use off your stuns and make sure and make use off your shield and vents. You will die, and you will never be the best ball carrier, but you can wreck other players especially if you get them alone.

Edited by Dharagada

I spend the vast majority of my time as a tank in both PVP and PvE and I have yet to try an AP build. That being said, the deep pyro builds do lack in survivability but only if you are not queuing with a healer or have a good healer in a pug warzone. As long as you can get some heals here and there you will be fine.

I am Valor rank 56 now and went up against a Battlemaster rolling a Pyrotech build yesterd (first time I had seen this). He did insane amounts of damage (370k+ in a Huttball). He was very squishy though. I would say one step down from a glass cannon, maybe a plastic mortar?

You need to be up in someone's face to put out most of your damage (rocket punch & flame burst). Thermal Detonator + Incendiary Missile + Rail Shot as you close the gap then lay into them with Flame Burst and Rocket punch. The only problem is that you will blow your load and be waiting on cooldowns to put out any real pressure for a good 10-20 seconds after that. Heat will be a problem if you are not getting Rail Shot procs.

I'm hesitant to call a full pyro a true glass canon but yes we are vulnerable to focus fire, maybe the most vulnerable melee spec in the game.

We have no real escape options and defensively we just have the shield (and our small regen ability but that's not much).

Pretty much the mantra of a pyrotech is a good defense is a strong offense, and it works pretty well a lot of the time, till you get focused down.

You can shore up your defenses a bit by trading some dps for some surviability.

Spurgo's "bulldog" build can work especially if you team up with a healer and guard them slightly better defense slightly less offense, however combined with the little extra defense and having a healer tagging along you can pretty resilent and still do strong damage.

There's also the Parakeet build, more defense but even less offense, it's pretty much a tanking build.

If you want to stay pure pyro with the CGI cylinder and all (or almost all) offensive talents then you just have to pick your battles, you have grapple, peel off players away from the group, make use off your stuns and make sure and make use off your shield and vents. You will die, and you will never be the best ball carrier, but you can wreck other players especially if you get them alone.

In fact you will wreck players so well that I am scared they will start screaming nerf.

im not sure i'd enjoy using the Ion Gas cylinder as a Pyro. Half the point is your fire dots from combustion.

However, is it best to still use a shield generator rather than a power generator?

As a Pyro player using Ion will just gimp you for 2 reasons.

1 - You lose huge amount of dot damage especially if you have specced for burnout.

2 - You lose the 100% reliability of your CGC dot snare from Bursting Flame & Sweltering Heat. Not having this totally gimps your ability to kite well.

As for shield, NO stick with the generator. IIRC it won't proc without Ion being active anyway. Plus your generater is a great damage booster.

Pyro is s squishy build but if played well you can do amazing things.

im not sure i'd enjoy using the Ion Gas cylinder as a Pyro. Half the point is your fire dots from combustion.

However, is it best to still use a shield generator rather than a power generator?

Base shield generator proc chance is 5% without alot of stat points in shield rating which would gimp the crap out of ur output. The shield would be pretty worthless.

Ive played PT from the shield tech side and the pyro side. While i feel like an unstoppable force in shield tech it was lacking for the damage side, and pyro definatly showed a increase in squishyness but not even remotly as squishy as my sorc or marader.

The bulldog and Carolina parakeet are good hybrid builds that will make you much more durable without completly sacrificing dmg output. I feel that in pvp warzones, the longer i last and the more mobile i am, the more damage I output.

Edited by Pwnyride