The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

A rookie mistake...

Skarramanga

I decided last night having spent a great deal of time as a shieldtech PvPer to try my hand at Pyro.

I went from getting 6-8 medals a game and helping to win most matches to getting 2 medals (Though getting top damage!) in a couple of games that we ultimately lost.

I'm only level 36 but it goes to show that there is more to life than the spec that you run in!

(Also, Ow...)

Use taunt on everyone, and put IGC at start and guard some Marauder who jumps in 1st and dies. That covers 3 protection medals. Then just switch to CGC and kill everyone. You get 1 for solo kill, 1 for killing blow, 1 for 2,5k hit, 1 for 75k dmg, 1 for 10 kills, 1 for 25 kills. That's 6 you get for just fighting alone and is easily doable, since you have powerful dps spec. Then pass the ball to opponents and kill them for easy 1k defender points and another medal. That's 10 in total. Seriously, if you don't have 7 medals per wz on average as Pyro you're doing something wrong. Edited by Paralassa
content

Use taunt on everyone, and put IGC at start and guard some Marauder who jumps in 1st and dies. That covers 3 protection medals. Then just switch to CGC and kill everyone. You get 1 for solo kill, 1 for killing blow, 1 for 2,5k hit, 1 for 75k dmg, 1 for 10 kills, 1 for 25 kills. That's 6 you get for just fighting alone and is easily doable, since you have powerful dps spec. Then pass the ball to opponents and kill them for easy 1k defender points and another medal. That's 10 in total. Seriously, if you don't have 7 medals per wz on average as Pyro you're doing something wrong.

Sorry, I mustn't have been clear with my first post.

My point was that the majority of performance is based entirely on how well suited you are to your spec and role.

Edited by Paralassa
content quote

I decided last night having spent a great deal of time as a shieldtech PvPer to try my hand at Pyro.

I went from getting 6-8 medals a game and helping to win most matches to getting 2 medals (Though getting top damage!) in a couple of games that we ultimately lost.

I'm only level 36 but it goes to show that there is more to life than the spec that you run in!

(Also, Ow...)

switched on my lvl50 shieldtech to pyro yesterday...

average damage per warzone went up by about 120k ... still got less medals tough since I miss the protection medals from guarding others.

oh, and this was with a weird mix of pve/pvp dps gear and pvp/pve tanking gear ... so not set bonuses or anything...

you get full champion dps set you just steamroll people

Yeah, it's just like swapping from one spec to another in "The Other Game."

Everything looks kinda the same but there is nothing in common in how it works. :)

The-game-that-shal-not-be-named. Heh.

Yeah with St you can easily get 8+ medals just doin what you do. Pt most games I get 6 or so but I don't usually guard anyone for the other easy 3. Maybe I should start.

Edited by Fashooba

The Huttball immediately post swapping back I got 9 medals from sitting in the middle with a guarded healer, ganking any ball carrier with the acid pit then passing to a teamate on a balcony. We won 4-0 and I had about 4 deaths in total.

<3 Shieldtech PvP.

I average 9 Medals a Warzone with Pyro. The trick is to use your single target damage reduction on guys doing AOE damage and your AOE damage reducer on the big enemy groups.

I used to average 11 but then the Med packs medals were nerfed in the last patch.

So you're saying you tried to expand your horizon and skill cap by trying out a new spec, but after only a few games (hardly enough time to learn a proper rotation on a micromanagement-intensive spec like Pyro) you threw your hands into the air, admitted defeat and reverted back to the only spec you're familiar with?

Sounds like a truly skilled and well-rounded Bounty Hunter in the making to me...

I get top damage/kills/protection in most games I play as full Pyro, 10/11 medals nearly every game. Are you saying you aren't good enough to do that? Part of me wants to argue otherwise, that anybody can do that, but if you've already resigned yourself to never being that good then I'd have to agree with you.

Edited by Mhak

I've been running a pyro spec since lv 36 and having been getting consistently 7-9 Medals and almost always in the top 2. I always start off using ion gas cylinder to get 2 or 3 medals for defending then as soon as i do that i switch to combustible for the rest of the game. From there i get the 75k damage medal. 10 kills and 25 kills medal. Quick draw. Assassin, 2.5k single hit, 1k defender 3k defender hit or miss with the last 4 and i may have forgotten some but i think i get more if not as much usin pyro as i do with a tanking spec, i think its just down to how you play in the warzone.

If I go straight damage I normally get 4 or 5. I never get the 2.5k hit but usually get the damage and kill medals and the quick kill.

I easily get 3 or 4 more if I do some guard and taunting. keep in mind if you have a group of bad guys fighting and you drop a sonic missile in the middle you will get a medal pretty quick :p