Hold Lightsabers backwards like Starkiller

Chinny

"noone"? kind of a broad, infinitive term there... Try studying Iado or anykind of knife-fighting - there are several valid and useful techniques for holding one sword / blade with a reverse grip

The last part "But I dont like it" is your opinion - so thanks for sharing - but to berate someone else's idea based on feelings is irrelevant

I for one would love to see a few cosmetic options to the Jedi/Sith stances. They're based on the Samurai to begin with, so incorporate some additional techniques / stances / grips

If you dont like them, dont use them. But let those of us that do want them have them

^^^

As a martial arts and self defense instructor I agree with the quote above. When you're defending yourself with a knife you dont hold it out and in front (like the movies), you reverse grip and keep it hidden in the mainhand. you stike when an oppertunity presents itself then retract to form. So yes there is a different form used when reserve gripping as opposed to the more traditional single hand or pole arm swords being up in front of you for parry/defense purposes.

This leads to the consequences of the form, if you are to reverse grip then you need to be versitile (light armor) and your defenses will be lower. This might mean the form itself (if you were to model real life) would be more for the assassin class and not marauder. And if I remember correctly assassins hold their double saber reverse grip when they're running. So perhaps the arguement here is to let Assassins have access to a new form with use of a one-handed saber.

Edited by thebad

Obviously you've never heard of Miyamoto Musashi, one of the greatest samurai warriors in history. He frequently made use of dual-wielding, often with one katana held with a reverse grip. Other samurai (possibly including Musashi) used shotos (short swords, i.e. Ahsoka's offhand saber) and would wield them with a reverse grip when the situation call for it. As was already mentioned, modern martial arts also make use of reverse grip styles of combat. I'd say samurai, particularly Musashi, have always been very good at killing things and surviving to tell the tale, wouldn't you? If not, then maybe Starkiller and Ahsoka would be proof enough for you?

Reverse grip is an awesome idea, and a perfectly effective style of combat; I for one hope BW reads this thread and decides to do something with it.

Musashi used a full size Katan in his main hand and a Medium sized Tanto blade in his off hand that he often wielded with a reverse grip.Tanto blades are half the size of a Katana and at about half the weight. Most Samurai used the Tanto Blade to do Seppuku with

• 2 weeks later...
^^^

As a martial arts and self defense instructor I agree with the quote above. When you're defending yourself with a knife you dont hold it out and in front (like the movies), you reverse grip and keep it hidden in the mainhand. you stike when an oppertunity presents itself then retract to form. So yes there is a different form used when reserve gripping as opposed to the more traditional single hand or pole arm swords being up in front of you for parry/defense purposes.

This leads to the consequences of the form, if you are to reverse grip then you need to be versitile (light armor) and your defenses will be lower. This might mean the form itself (if you were to model real life) would be more for the assassin class and not marauder. And if I remember correctly assassins hold their double saber reverse grip when they're running. So perhaps the arguement here is to let Assassins have access to a new form with use of a one-handed saber.

And seeing as how Starkiller was a really powerful force user, using force lightning and telekinesis, reverse grip will fit a sorcerer and sage better especially since they wear light armor.