Tech?

Madgecko

There are three different types of abilities. Ranged, tech, and melee. Each of them have separate chances to crit, ergo the different types of crit buffs you are seeing on your armor. Neither of them are better they just suit different styles. Tech is more for healers in my experience and regular is more for dps.

Combat support cell is the ammo type you want for the medic tree and armor piercing is for th gunnery tree. Hope this helps.

All crit types are increased by Crit rating.

Specific crit types are increased by other stats. Cunning increases tech crit (and ranged for Smugglers), Willpower increases force crit, Strength increases melee crit (and force crit for Knights I believe), and Aim increase ranged crit (and tech crit for Troopers).

Each tree has its own ammo type. Medic is Combat Support, Gunnery is Armor-Piercing, and Assault is Plasma.

And for assault commandos, at the top of the talent tree, there's something to add tech crit%, is tech% applied to elemental attacks then maybe?

Tech Crit% only increases the crit chance of your tech abilities. That's your heals and many, but not all of your attacks. Generally, weapon based attacks like Hammer Shot and Full Auto are ranged, not tech, and anything with a probe or grenade like attack is tech. I don't play assault, but I assume that is useful for your spec.

Ranged Attacks: White damage

Tech Attacks: Yellow damage (or Green Heals)

As far as I know, only Talent Points (Skill Tree) can make your range vs tech crit to be different

Actually, your tech crit will tend to be slightly higher than your ranged crit, since Aim adds equally to both values but Cunning adds to your tech crit. It's not going to be a huge difference by any means (even if you have all the +Cunning datacrons), but it's there.

Edit: Also, you can pull up your abilities window and read along the right hand column to see which abilities are tech.

Edited by Kaigen

If I could piggy back on this discussion.

Do you folks know how much tech damage vs weapon DPS effect HiB? And is hammer shot only affected by your weapon's DPS rating?

HIB is white AKA weapon damage.

Pull up your abilities tab (default key "P") should show "ranged" or "tech" next to all of your attacks.