Will lack of innovation REALLY hurt this game success?

relapes

That's the point though. It not just about getting mmo nerds into the game. its about expanding the audience to a much broader mass. I don't know how many times I can say this, it feels like a broken record.

People outside the MMO crowd that arent true blue Bioware fans will probably look as this as a gamecube game though for them its all about what is graphically next

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Every single comment (well 8/10) of them on just about every SWTOR video, every forum I have seen on this game have been nothing but pure negativity about the same thing. I know this game will have an appeal with Bioware fans but most of them say they dont care for MMOs or the way they work, that they will play through a few stories then leave.

its the same people, do you know there are currently a lot more people in the game playing then not, yet I count one or two negative game issue threads the rest are people banging on the door wanting to get in.

If there were 200,000 people pissed off at this game you would see a far far more negative topics about the game in here but I see little.

issues, are whining about to many people in empire over republic which plagues all games. and people screaming about innovation but have no idea what innovation means.

Also anyone not posting in this forum about negativity are already people who dont like the gaem and did not buy it. Seriously you expect to go on eveonlines site for example and see people raging about how great this game is or WoWs?

People outside the MMO crowd that arent true blue Bioware fans will probably look as this as a gamecube game though for them its all about what is graphically next

No its not. Really? Thats the least of their concerns. Hell if they play CoD on xbox or ps3 then graphics are not their concern. Fun is and always has been their primary concern.

WoW was not new. WoW learned lessons from Dark Age of Camelot and Everquest, among others. I remember folks saying, "Who's going to like this WoW game? It's lacking innovation!" Guess what, this is a genre. Like shooters, they have familiar things in common to improve accessibility and to not waste development time on game elements that don't need re-inventing.

There is a lot about this game that is impressive in its difference from WoW. Lots of nice little touches, and break through improvements such as the story-telling elements through voice acting.

Put away your crystal ball and enjoy playing :)

I don't know how many times I can say this, it feels like a broken record.

That's because you are talking to a broad fan base that has no idea what a record is, A-tracks, and low and behold there are people*Kids* out there that have no idea what a tape track is.

Edited by Tericc

I tend to agree, innovation isn't rampant in SWTOR but innovation also doesn't assure success.

EVE is innovative in its lack of sharding, SWG was innovative in character building and player housing/cities.

Neither retained WoW-like audiences.

Sometimes innovation can paint a game into a corner. I think SWTOR will live or die based on content. In four months, the power gamers will be crying " Is this all there is? We are bored."

At that point Bioware will either step up...or start bleeding.

EQ days were the wild west, MMOs are mainstream now.

Right okay. You're arguing the point I'm making now. They have plenty of room to grow even further. Just as gaming has grown and is now a BILLION dollar industry. SWTOR has the potential to do the same and it must be stated it is because the game has such a strong narrative element. This will draw many more people who are you average joes and can only play an hour or two at night. The game will be treated as almost episodic content and they will enjoy the hell out of it. The MMO market still has plenty of room to expand kiddo.

What the title says.

I know I probably will get a lot of "no" because this place being rampant with fanboys, but I think similarities to WoW will hurt this game for a lot of people.

I've never played WoW and I am not a fanboi; with that out of the way I don't think that having no innovation is going to hurt SWTOR. I think the opposite is true, they should have relied more on older game models especially in the PvP department.

LOL? It's WoW with voice acting and everyone has pets. Oh and the Star Wars setting of course.

This game is exactly like WoW!

Except the story isn't like WoW.

Except it has voice acting and cut scenes for every quest.

Except it doesn't have a lot of features that World of Warcraft does.

But damn this is just like WoW, isn't it?

I tend to agree, innovation isn't rampant in SWTOR but innovation also doesn't assure success.

EVE is innovative in its lack of sharding, SWG was innovative in character building and player housing/cities.

Neither retained WoW-like audiences.

Sometimes innovation can paint a game into a corner. I think SWTOR will live or die based on content. In four months, the power gamers will be crying " Is this all there is? We are bored."

At that point Bioware will either step up...or start bleeding.

Bioware has tons of plans for launch, or all the recent interviews with developers are all lies

What the title says.

I know I probably will get a lot of "no" because this place being rampant with fanboys, but I think similarities to WoW will hurt this game for a lot of people.

To be fair, it's barely launching currently, let's see how they progress.

Also, companions and the story are fairly innovative. They're not Discovering Fire mind you, but the game does have innovative gameplay.

I think it will last as long as Bioware creates it down a certain path. It doesn't matter if its a copy and past, Innovative or both combined.

Whenever you turn the computer off, and leaves you wanting more...

Bioware succeeded .

I think it will last as long as Bioware creates it down a certain path. It doesn't matter if its a copy and past, Innovative or both combined.

Whenever you turn the computer off, and leaves you wanting more...

Bioware succeeded .

Lack of innovation=Lack of interest for many

Lack of interest for many= Not wanting for more.

What the title says.

What your problem is, sigh.. is comparing it to wow in the first place. When you start a new mmo. just don't do that. I'm not star wars savy, never watched the movies, don't even know half the characters, but yet I'm still going to play this game, cause it seems nothing like wow. and i've been playing wow since 2004, currently still playing it. but please stop comparing them!

What did Blizzard ever do that's so innovative? They made a ton of money by stealing ideas that worked well in other games. This isn't to knock Blizzard; they were pretty smart about which ideas they used and made a wildly successful game.

If Bioware can take a known IP, the attention to story which BW has been doing for a long time, and then take a page from Blizz's book and pick and choose elements from other MMOs that work for them then I'm not going to complain.

Thery already failed they should have followed rifts launch.

I'm not fighting that. I would not want a copy paste of wow. Despite some critics Tor maybe similar to wow but its not copy and paste. The story alone is Tor not wow, not eve.

I'm not fighting that. I would not want a copy paste of wow. Despite some critics Tor maybe similar to wow but its not copy and paste. The story alone is Tor not wow, not eve.

I agree wtih you 100% my only worry is that most dont.

Except clearly for many people this game is entirely innovative enough. I understand your upset it isn't swg or the king messiah of video games GW2 that was foretold in prophecy to come save us from arrows to the knees. At the same time what the game does add and offer is entirely fun and for the vast majority of people thats enough.

What the title says.

Those similarities are MMO things. I like space combat for one thing, WoW has nothing like that (or what it might be in a year).

Except clearly for many people this game is entirely innovative enough. I understand your upset it isn't swg or the king messiah of video games GW2 that was foretold in prophecy to come save us from arrows to the knees. At the same time what the game does add and offer is entirely fun and for the vast majority of people thats enough.

Seriously vast majority? The majority must be exceptionally silent.

No innovations? Fully voiced quests, new crafting system, new companion system, lots of 'new' things for an MMO.

But oh wait, it's a 'WoW clone' now because it is an MMO with buttons and stuff! :rolleyes:

People are so stupid sometimes. The things that you say make this a WoW clone are in damn near every MMO before and after WoW.

That's like complaining that RPGs all have a leveling system! They're all the same!