Shadow Quality High = BLOCKY/SQUARE Shadows, Pictures Included

Thekze

I have this going on both the live and pts version.

The shadows in my game are rough and blocky, how come they're not round and smooth like the dev movies and the screenshots ???

This is taken from 1.1.1 PTS server:

PICTURE 1 - BLOCKY SHADOWS

PICTURE 2 - BLOCKY SHADOWS

MY GRAPHIC SETTINGS

taken from the live server, on my 20'' monitor.

PICTURE - BLOCKY SHADOWS

GRAPHIC SETTINGS

My PC specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 8192MB RAM

Page File: 1804MB used, 14576MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Gigabyte Super Overclocked model)

Display Memory: 4065 MB

Dedicated Memory: 993 MB

Shared Memory: 3071 MB

Current Mode: 1280 x 720 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Model: TSB-TV (Toshiba 42' hdtv)

Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)

Output Type: DVI

Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 10/15/2011 03:53:00, 15693120 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

Can I have feedback on this? Am I the only one, is it how the full game is supposed to look??

Edited by Thekze

From Wakantanka in the customer service forums:

The reason for this is that shadows are rendered using shadow maps, which is essentially re rendering the object from the lights point of view at a certain resolution, then applying the second rendering as a texture to the ground etc. in monochrome.

The lower the res this shadow map the faster it is to do but it looks pixelated, also how far away the light is causes it to be rendered at a greater distance then blown up more causing more pixelated.

Outside the light is the planets sun(s) so it seems they are rendering the shadow map from a good distance to have trees and building etc cast shadows properly but it can end up looking pixelated as you see.

Indoors however you will typically see smoother shadows because it is based on lights closer to you.

They could do AA on the shadows to smooth them, but it slows things down more, so does higher res shadow maps. Maybe they can tweak the outdoor lights to be closer or something too.

How about restoring a slider for shadow quality to let us adjust the resolution of shadow maps?

Edited by Thekze

You want to really get steamed? Turn the shadow quality to low and see what happens.

You lose half of what the game is supposed to look like, flat and plain graphics everywhere? That's also why I want to keep this post running!

I really want to keep playing this game with shadows enabled.

Same issue in Skyrim. It's the way the engine renders the shadow map. It stretches the map over your visible shadow distance, which causes it to be totally pixelated.

I am aware that you can change the following in Skyrim in order to achieve smooth shadows:

iShadowMapResolution=4096

iShadowMaskQuarter=5

iBlurDeferredShadowMask=4

fShadowDistance=2500

But let's keep this thread SWTOR related, bump!

Edited by Thekze

It's not you, it's just the way the game is. There are spots where the shadows look very nice and other spots where they're simply horrible. And they have a huge impact on performance either way.

Very nice shadow pic.

Crappy shadow pic.

Only thing that changed between those two pictures was my location on the map.

There's a 22 page thread on this topic (with lots of pictures) here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=172767

Edited by Apax

Fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it. This game looks like it came out in 1999 sometimes and I am NOT happy with the way it is. Why not just spit in my face??? Really starting to grow impatient with this game and all its bugs. Edited by LordMantequillas

• 2 months later...

What a pathetic response to what is obviously a genuine issue with the high quality shadow setting.

The average user won't understand the technical reasons as to why the high shadows setting looks crappy. Fix the damn slider at least. Or make an option called Lego shadows and maybe start adding features like DK heads and 8-bit character models.

Medium looks better. You spend the majority of the damn leveling game outside.

I'm not on the Bioware hate wagon, but this is genuinely misleading and needs fixing.

Edited by Shampoo