Datacrons, "needed" or not?

We have a discussion in our guild where one of our guildleaders says they are of no use of all and that the "Top Guilds" isnt using them at all because they rather spend their time doing other things then collecting datacrons.

Me on the other hand who is coming from 7 years of WoW raiding remember the importance of flasks, enchants etc. In my guild only the top tier enchants and flasks was accepted, cheaper flasks/enchants wasnt an option.

You should always be at your very best possible.

Now im wondering, is it really so in SWTOR that you can simply ignore stuff that improve your characters damage output, healing output and survivability?

Is it true that the top tier guilds are ignoring datacrons all together?

In WoW flasks could potentially be the difference between a kill and a whipe. If only one was flasked there would be no noticable difference but when the whole raid was flasked the effect from the flasks stacked up and you would notice the difference between having a raid flasked and not.

Some guilds or clans are best to be left alone, no matter whom they may be. You play as you play and if one person prevents you to do that, you are best off without that one person.

That is my expression on these silly people demanding one thing after another and destroys the community. It seems the community from WoW is slowly affecting the SWTOR community.

I have always been no more than a casual raider, but still I have always found it essential to do your best.

I would expect members of any raid guild to find relevant datacrons as long as they are not insanely difficult to reach.

It's just a basic thing you do for your guild so you pull your own weight.

Edited by thecoffeecup

It's only as required as how much of a min/maxer you want to be.

If you get all the datacrons for your primary/secondary stat, it's about equivalent to an upgrade in one or two pieces of gear - not to mention the health boost of about ~400.

It only becomes "essential" the closer you are to mastering your class; if you're still learning how to play to the fullest, working on a new spec or new rotation would benefit you much more.

You should be collecting the datacrons for your primary/secondary stats, endurance and matrix cube. The top guilds are collecting datacrons because they're easy to get and provide permanent stats. And it's not like there's much else to do at level 50.

It's only as required as how much of a min/maxer you want to be.
This.

Envenra, PLEASE understand that not everybody plays the game like you. Some people play it casual, some people play it hard-core and some play it super hard-core. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean other people should avoid it.

Guild leaders can demand it, purely because they are guild leaders. Whether you like that or not, is up to the individual.

Why does every act like you have to do this all in one day? It isn't that much of a chore.

Pick a planet and get those datacrons.

Next day get a few more.

Next day a few more.

Keep doing this until you have them all.

Boom, +40 to your stats and it was not all that painful. Some of them suck, its true. But most of them are not that hard after you understand how movement works.

Meh, they aren't a big deal. Get the matrix relic and most of the primary/secondary and then get the rest of primary/secondary/endurance as needed. The +10 all stats is worth it.

When you have 1600+ in your primary stat an extra +10-15 in your stats isn't noticable. Same with goingfrom 16000 hp to 16200..

People can get as needed but I certainly wouldn't make it a requirement to start raiding IMO.

I mistook the thread to be a discussion on whether datacrons should be in the game or not, but since I am here... I think if you don't know whether datacrons are needed to gain that extra bit of edge in PvP, you probably don't need them. The discrepency in stat, from gear or datacron or anything else, can always be overcome by a sufficient gap in skill as long as the cap hasn't been reached. Some groups may be doing something else because that is yielding greater benefit than datacrons, such as farming or making the best gear or developing new skills. Sooner or later though, the most competitive teams will get the datacrons and every other advantage in the game because the difference between competitors will be razor thin. If not, it won't be a very exciting fight and what does it matter?

Was out on a world boss raid in guild today. After we downed it we went on a holocron hunt in that area. It was quite amusing with ppl sometimes missing jumps or getting stuck. In group it is quite enjoyable and has somewhat of an adventurous feel to it. It also created some memorable moments and certainly a bunch of laughs.

Needed? Ofcourse not but it is an extra.

Edited by Xrayll

I tried to get some of em, but I figured out that they were designed by some idiot who had to be full of ganja coz im not console jumping idiot,coz get some of datacron is only for jumping morons so i gave it up till they will be more reachable.

I tried to get some of em, but I figured out that they were designed by some idiot who had to be full of ganja coz im not console jumping idiot,coz get some of datacron is only for jumping morons so i gave it up till they will be more reachable.

what? you smokin drugs?

Translation: I can't manage to make simple jumps or speak proper english.