Request for a graphical gauge (w/example) for Centering instead of icon w/ tiny #s

Dyvim

For some reason the UI folks love tiny numbers in small icons. For example with Sent, they include the Juyo one, Burning blade one, and of course Centering. I run my displays at 2560x1600...so those icons are small...and the numbers in them are smaller. And the relative position of the small icons change, and they are among MANY small icons when your in a party, with party buffs, etc. Then you have all the other combat related icons, etc. A scaleable UI would help, but alas...

It causes very HEAVY eye burden or eye tasking, at least for me. It is a terrible example of UI design for something like Centering, which is now a primary mechanic for the class. You NEED to know the status of the centering mechanic in order to activate or plan for other abilitites. And as a general note, please get away from the tiny numbers in small icons, or let us start reszing UI elements. Right now we have the worst of both worlds...but back to topic.

So I have done a VERY quick and dirty mockup of turning the small icon into something graphical and easier to locate and see with a glance, in a fraction of the time it takes me to find the icon and read the number...the display would stay the same until the Sentinel gets his AC and starts to use the centering mechanic (so it would not change from the exisiting focus only as a Knight starter).

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/16/sentinelcenteringuitake.jpg/

Couple of things...

Option 1 uses a similar layout to the commando bar. This is already in the game, and players are used to it. Both bars have the 12 slots for focus or ammo. The commando bar has the additional graphic to indicate the rate of ammo recharge. I suggest just simply turning that into a Centering bar that starts empty (all black, like the focus bar starts) then builds, with each > equal to 5 centering. When the 6th bar becomes full, it turns GREEN to indicate you have passed the threshhold and can fire Zen, etc. One other change. I recommend letting the centering pool accrue to 35. Not 30. That way, you have a LITTLE bit of flexibility to work with...but its not a critical change. Therefore I have 7 >'s to represent a pool of 35.

Thx.

Edited by Dyvim