The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Did i buy the wrong gear for PVP? and possibly class help

Penguinface

So I turned 50 a few days ago and have been pvping alot with friends and such. I play a ST/AP build (30/11/0 i think) and I wanna play a tanky role. Take alot of dmg, best at holding the huttball that kinda thing.

Ive been pretty lucky with my champ bags and gotten about 5 pieces so far. I bought all supercommando gear but ive heard rumors that shielding is basically useless in pvp. did i do bad buy buying supercommando gear? is this likely to be fixed?

p.s. ive been having trouble getting high amounts of protection points in warzones. the highest amounts ive been able to get are around 40-50k but i see others with well over 100k. what am i missing? any secret tricks i dont know?

The short answer is no. The only pvp set we cant benefit from is the medic one intended for mercenaries in their healing spec.

Super comando is perfect set for example to be a ball carrier due to much higer hp pool and defencive stats that give longer life times. If i was playing with a decent marauder buddy i would propably also wear this set to maximize my hp pool soo he can do his sick dps longer. I that scenario i would have to open with grapple soo he can save his charge to stay on target if poor chap is trying to run. It also has its uses on void star, especialy in defence since any damage will stop bomb planting and longer you live more time your buddies have to get to you from respawn.

Combat tech set is for builds that benefit from rocket punch synerging skills like my iron fist. Currently this set 2/5 breaks carbonize instead of making it better.

Eliminator set while its 2/5 is benefiting mercs only is used by rail shot centric builds due to its second bonus benefiting it.

Edited by Rabbitofdoom

Only get 4 pieces of Supercommando gear, to get 5% more dmg when using Guard. I got the Combat Tech helmet for crit. The gear is not useless at all, since u can also tank alot with the HP u get and the shield is nice against those melees and snipers.

To get protection points is all about practise. I went up about 30K just by key binding my Guard. Popp it on ball carry, healers and others u see take focused dmg. Try to use AoE taunt when u see it hit multiple targets. Don't spam, but think abit before u use it. See no resolve bar? Don't use taunt since he most likely will be cc'd. Full resolve bar and up in the face of your healer? Popp taunt, Guard healer and laugh while u kill him ;)