Screen Flickering is dangerous for your eyes.

dargor-

Please reply directly to this mail with your dxdiag and logs attached and we will investigate the matter further for you.

Once again just a reminder please do take time to rest after an hour of gaming since constant flickering can really damage your eyes.

Galactic Support is our specialty...

Sincerely,

Protocol Droid K8-A6 aka Aizen

Star Wars: The Old Republic Customer Service

So yeah, just thought I'd point this out, if you do experience the black screen flickering, be careful about how long you play for. Headaches and Migraines have actually been reported a lot, now its eye damage, so better safe than sorry.

This is kind of alarming.

Edited by dargor-

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How exactly is it anymore damaging to your eyes than just staring at a normal computer screen? Is it flickering every other frame or something?

If you're in a well lit room I don't see how this could be damaging in the least. Just because a CS employee said it doesn't make it true, you know.

This is so not true at all. If the flickering is causing you serious problems, then you likely have an underlying condition.

A computer screen does not damage your eyes; that is not the reason you take breaks. You take breaks because prolonged periods of extreme concentration can be stressful. The same break periods are reccomended if you are studying for exams or Driving a car.

Specifcally talking about games, the strain on your eyes is far less than typing an essay or reading a book. For the most part, you are just lazyly processing images (like watching a movie).

Edited by DLWhite

I'm just reporting an answer from Bioware's customer support, but honestly, people with this issue have been reporting eyes hurting, headaches and migraines all day long.

So imma go on a limb and not take any chances.

As for flickering frequency, it happens outdoor randomly, can be every few seconds just like you can go 5 mins without it happening.

Here's a detailed video of the issue

Edited by dargor-

I'm just reporting an answer from Bioware's customer support, but honestly, people with this issue have been reporting eyes hurting, headaches and migraines all day long.

So imma go on a limb and not take any chances.

I think you should all go to the doctors. If minor flickering in a game can give you Migraines and sore eys then you have something wrong with you.

My game doesn't do that, it just constantly flickers on the map, mini map and character portrait. As the map is unusable it's been funny playing the game not knowing where to go like the old days in EQ. Edited by Miffy

This is so not true at all. If the flickering is causing you serious problems, then you likely have an underlying condition.

A computer screen does not damage your eyes; that is not the reason you take breaks. You take breaks because prolonged periods of extreme concentration can be stressful. The same break periods are reccomended if you are studying for exams or Driving a car.

Specifcally talking about games, the strain on your eyes is far less than typing an essay or reading a book. For the most part, you are just lazyly processing images (like watching a movie).

Can I see your P.H.D.? Because my eye doc told me about the 20/20/20 rule to keep your eyes healthy (look it up, im no doc).

So yeah, just thought I'd point this out, if you do experience the black screen flickering, be careful about how long you play for. Headaches and Migraines have actually been reported a lot, now its eye damage, so better safe than sorry.

This is kind of alarming.

It's not alarming, no more alarming that a motorcycle hobbyist with skin missing off her arm. The road variety is the only rash I know of that looks good on a woman. Gaming is our passion and if a football player can get concussions for his love of the game then, dammit, I can risk my eyes. If I go blind, it will only put me on a hiatus, for the Singularity is near. I mean we will get rl cybernetic eyes in a decade or so, correct?

Can I see your P.H.D.? Because my eye doc told me about the 20/20/20 rule to keep your eyes healthy (look it up, im no doc).

He's right. Staring at a computer screen is no more damaging than reading a book.

that doesn't mean it isn't damaging. Focusing on one object that's 2 feet in front of your face for prolonged amounts of time WILL affect your vision. Yeah he's wrong that the only reason we take breaks is because "concentration causes stress". Your eyes get stressed focusing too. The only difference between a computer screen and a book is the light coming from it, which only has a real effect if you're in a dark room.

This is all beside the flickering argument of course. NO idea what would make a person think that it damages your eyes.

I never understood how somebody could get motion sickness when they aren't actually in motion.

Whether or not it's truly motion sickness I don't know... maybe perceived-motion sickness is a better discription. but I get it when rolling around on a speeder for too long. Last time I remember getting it was while and after watching Cloverfield at the theatre, and from playing Frequency or Amplitude for extended periods of time before that. Tunnel vision? I don't know. Whatever it is, it's not fun and the CS was totally correct in saying take breaks, but I think for other reasons entirely. Repetitive motion always needs a break. I take a break every 20 minutes to at least get up and walk around a little.

I didn't even realize I was already doing that. I'd never heard of that rule until I googled it. I found this comment on the article amusing and actually pretty good advice:

"Drink lots of water. Staying hydrated is good in its own right, but getting up to go pee once an hour forces you to move around."

Good stuff.

As for flickering frequency, it happens outdoor randomly, can be every few seconds just like you can go 5 mins without it happening.

Here's a detailed video of the issue

I'm getting the exact same flashing after the patch, though I've yet to experience my character disappearing. Also, it only just started happening on Taris for me, was fine on Coruscant (after the patch). Pretty annoying, I hope they fix it soon. :(

Finaly after 4 trys (3 of which was the ballon dropping me 5 minutes from the datacrons -Republic side)

On my Empire Toon - the jawa balloon on tatooine Compleated the travel to the datacrons, but for the hole 35 minutes -about 1/2 of the time once i got onto the Balloon i got intermittent white Flashing for

-What 1/4 second each very very Anoying -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

plus i dont see how -

On balmorra the npc Captain laverse - at the spaceport when the holographic Darth Lachris is speakeing

the holographic background (white) is Flashing ~ Could cause a seizure ((Epilepsy))

((Need to Check it Befour anyone with it gets a fit from it-

im on Nivida geforce GT420 1GB DDR3 graphics card in case thats the problem-

Is That so hard to Understand-

Without the Replay -

i need You,re Server, Charater, Compaion , planet (< wait what ??? i just told you where i was)

the Npc who you are talking to (?? Ponders if they Even read it )

you,re Location xyz ( EM Balmorra:rolleyes: )

(and a hole host of other things- not Applicable to the problem)

Please replay Via E-Mail - (petiton Cloased):(

Edited by Lasarith

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.