The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Let's have appearance slots

Sonnya

Isn't this exactly why Orange-quality gear was created? So you could wear something you liked the look of regardless of what level you were, by updating the mods in it?

It's just a tacky way to give appearance customization, and very annoying as you have to change mods all the time. If I am levelling (as I usually am) I just want to replace my equipment the old fashioned style. Orange items just do not work well as appearance customization.

But they don't, they want to be "unique" and invest months of time and waste it away with solutions that are still buggy and completely lacking in ability to deliver the intended purpose. Unify to chest for example, is still a poor excuse in terms of customizing player appearance. You're now more or less the same shade of black or brown all over compared to before due the lack of palette variety in chest piece colors. Not to mention the helmets are now bugged with the implementation of this option as it either doesn't unify or it makes it disappear altogether.

To be fair I really love this features personally, and it would be even cooler with an appearance tab.

The developers are already addressing this. They're adding orange shells to the game with each update with the stated intent of eventually having an orange schematic for every combination of model and texture in the game.

As a result, appearance tabs are unneeded and would be a waste of time in SWTOR.

Not really. An appearance tab is a lot more user friendly and not to mention it is easier to get the look you want.

Edited by Sotof

Isn't this exactly why Orange-quality gear was created? So you could wear something you liked the look of regardless of what level you were, by updating the mods in it?

That was the idea.

The problem is that there are TONS of pieces with a beautiful look that aren't orange (green/blue), and there's no way to obtain an orange equivalent.

It's just a tacky way to give appearance customization, and very annoying as you have to change mods all the time. If I am levelling (as I usually am) I just want to replace my equipment the old fashioned style. Orange items just do not work well as appearance customization.
I disagree. I believe the Item Modification system functions far better than appearance slots. It's an integral part of the game, whereas appearance tabs have never been anything more than a tacked-on system that never fits with the games its a part of.

Not really. An appearance tab is a lot more user friendly and not to mention it is easier to get the look you want.
Appearance tabs may be easier, but not by much. I wouldn't say more they're user friendly. The Item Modification System is extremely straightforward and simple. Yes, it is different, but once you take the time to learn about it, i.e. read the text Bioware provides on the subject both in-game and in the manual, it's very simple to understand. Once complete the Item Modification System will be a much more robust and integral system than appearance tabs is capable of, while while also offering greater options for character customization.

The Item Modification System represents far greater character customization than is possible through appearance tabs, with no loss of the function that appearance tabs provide. Ultimately, it is a far greater system, and appearance tab systems are officially last decade's technology.

Seeing as this is mostly the thread I was looking for i decided to copy my entry on a similar topic i started.

As we all know the social/orange gear we can get varies from light (robes/bikinis/pilot gear) to heavy(Trooper/Guardian).

Seeing this situation the only logical result of this "equasion" indicates that troopers and guardians have the biggest possibility to customize their armour (for example a vanguard running in consular robe with a hood, acting as a hired gun). Whilst on the other hand consulars and/or smugglers have the least.

Not that i want to hate on the Smugglers cowboy hat, but it would be nice if us republic players get at least a social standart trooper armour like our imp counterparts. Currently, I can play an imperial trooper picking any class, whilst on the other hand i cant have for example a republic military medic (by picking scoundrell).

After 1.2 with the addition of Legacy vendors there are items like Troopers reenowned body armour (and gloves,helmet etc) which are more or less a Social armour. But they have two flaws - they are Heavy armour and they are restricted to troopers.

Now This seems a bit illogical, why make legacy social armour only for the trooper. Whilst I like the 20lvl feel of it, i rather stick to my columi trooper gear. On the other hand, I would gladly pick it for my other class.

But continuing, why even make the armour have a class like "heavy armour".

Now calm down, wait, I dont mean id like to give Sages, Vanguard Rakata Gear and make them an op healing tanks.

But if the armour class is switched to armour mods, than the armour "shell" if you will, could be used by anyone.

That way, if I pick a vanguard elite gear in a flashpoint as a sage, I could just throw the mods out, put my own mods and use it as social armour, and why not? since MMOs are about social play aren't they?

All in all, I don't really think we really need something like an appearance slot but rather a perfected orange gear modification system.

I am not especially for the armour class restriction, whilst I agree, bikini tank is a bit silly, on the other hand a Smuggler medic in a trooper armour seems reasonable doesn't it?

I disagree. I believe the Item Modification system functions far better than appearance slots. It's an integral part of the game, whereas appearance tabs have never been anything more than a tacked-on system that never fits with the games its a part of.

Your argument is moot. If an appearance tab was in the game it would be a part of the game too. And I truly disagree with your sentiment towards an appearance tab not suiting the game. That is so very wrong. There is no other place that it would suit better than in TOR. Just look at Solo for reference.

Appearance tabs may be easier, but not by much. I wouldn't say more they're user friendly. The Item Modification System is extremely straightforward and simple. Yes, it is different, but once you take the time to learn about it, i.e. read the text Bioware provides on the subject both in-game and in the manual, it's very simple to understand. Once complete the Item Modification System will be a much more robust and integral system than appearance tabs is capable of, while while also offering greater options for character customization.

The Item Modification System represents far greater character customization than is possible through appearance tabs, with no loss of the function that appearance tabs provide. Ultimately, it is a far greater system, and appearance tab systems are officially last decade's technology.

I'm sorry but if you cannot see the obvious difference to finding a piece of gear you like the look of and then putting it in the appearance tab contra finding a piece of gear you like to then figuring out what orange match that model+color and then continuously upgrade it with mods every time you progress; and from that make the logical conclusion that the former (the appearance tab) is the most convenient feature for appearance customization, then I am truly sorry... You are not worth having a conversation with.

I'm sorry but if you cannot see the obvious difference to finding a piece of gear you like the look of and then putting it in the appearance tab contra finding a piece of gear you like to then figuring out what orange match that model+color and then continuously upgrade it with mods every time you progress; and from that make the logical conclusion that the former (the appearance tab) is the most convenient feature for appearance customization, then I am truly sorry... You are not worth having a conversation with.
I understand exactly what you're claiming. I know you're wrong. An easier system is not necessarily a better system. A more convenient system is not necessarily a better system. Appearance tabs wouldn't fit with SWTOR's other systems at all. Primarily because the other systems are supported by the Item Modification System, and in turn are supported by it.

Item Modification is the better system by far. I truly cannot understand a reason why anyone would want to utilize an outdated throwback like appearance tabs instead, other than that they're lazy. If you want to be lazy about it, if you want to haphazardly check random equipment as its obtained and then just plop it into an appearance tab, then you deserve a lazy, sloppy appearance.

If you add appearance tabs, you destroy the Item Modification System. In turn, the crafting system collapses. The bottom falls out of the game economy. The ability to obtain desired equipment suffers, thereby impacting general and end-game PvE/PvP. All of these systems are intertwined with the Item Modification System; appearance tabs would undermine the entire game. In short, the addition of appearance tabs would be SWTOR's NGE.

Appearance tabs are stupid. They're lazy. They promote lazy players. They wouldn't fit with the game's existing systems. The developers would have to discard substantial effort and resources expended during development and post-launch. They would have to scrap their plans for continued development of the game's economy and crafting systems over the next year.

Appearance tabs are not being added. Stop living in denial and get over it.

I understand exactly what you're claiming. I know you're wrong. An easier system is not necessarily a better system. A more convenient system is not necessarily a better system. Appearance tabs wouldn't fit with SWTOR's other systems at all. Primarily because the other systems are supported by the Item Modification System, and in turn are supported by it.

When we talking something userfriendly? Then yes easy to use and convenient is the better solution.

Item Modification is the better system by far. I truly cannot understand a reason why anyone would want to utilize an outdated throwback like appearance tabs instead, other than that they're lazy. If you want to be lazy about it, if you want to haphazardly check random equipment as its obtained and then just plop it into an appearance tab, then you deserve a lazy, sloppy appearance.

I truly disagree. I do not want to spend most of my free time to figure out what exact orange piece that match the look I want. If I find a piece of gear that I like I want to be able to use it. That you want to overcomplicate things on the other hand I find frankly idiotic.

If you add appearance tabs, you destroy the Item Modification System. In turn, the crafting system collapses. The bottom falls out of the game economy. The ability to obtain desired equipment suffers, thereby impacting general and end-game PvE/PvP. All of these systems are intertwined with the Item Modification System; appearance tabs would undermine the entire game. In short, the addition of appearance tabs would be SWTOR's NGE.

Absolutely wrong. If anything it creates a greater incentive to sell equipment pieces. A lot of the recipes that were once useless find use. Mods and item modification is still used by min/max-folks as it should be. What you are essentially saying is that if we found something that is superior to oil in every single way in abundant supply then the world economy would collapse because oil would be useless.

Appearance tabs are stupid. They're lazy. They promote lazy players. They wouldn't fit with the game's existing systems.

They are not "lazy", they are "superior" in every single way when talking about appearance customization. They are more user-friendly and less clunky. They take up less time and space and makes people happy. The item modification system is a lazy way for developers to say they have implemented appearance customization, it is one that provides the bare minimum of choice and continues to annoy players every single time they get an upgrade. It makes it unnecessarily complicated to get the look that you desire and lessens the value of not just the levelling experience but the game itself.

Appearance tabs are not being added. Stop living in denial and get over it.

If you yell loud enough it eventually will. ;)

Edited by Sotof

No appearance tabs, but there should be a way to turn a green/blue/purple item into an orange item. I really don't want to see a Sith warrior running around in a slave girl outfit and it acting as heavy armor.

This. But I [b]DO [/b]wish there were more Orange Armor-skins to choose from.

I suggest implementing a seperate item slot set, only for appearance. That way you aren't forced to wear Orange gear just for looks. Sometimes you find a blue (or green) item that you would like to wear for looks, but the stats are simply too poor to use it.

If you put an item in an appearance slot, your character will display that item. Stats will still come from whatever is worn in the normal equipment slot. Items put into an appearance slot will not give any stat benefit at all.

If an appearance slot is empty, it will display the item that is in the normal equipment slot.

I'm for the apperance tab. There was a very long thread on it before the forum wipe with about 3000 voters out of which about 90% wanted the tab.

It makes perfect sense to have one.