Thanks For The Fast Fix to Ilum BW!

IasonEvan

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How is this fixed? Sure there's no more farming battle master in a day but Ilum on my server now consists of 20 imperials sitting in the middle clicking boxes with no other republic players in sight.

So, not only is it still awful, you can't even farm bags there anymore if you're republic. And it would take hours clicking boxes to finish the daily if you're imperial.

We're worse off now that before when people were objective trading.

Shutting the servers down takes very little time, they should have done it immediately and kept them down until the issue was resolved, now we have a bunch of exploiters who were rewarded for exploiting game mechanics, having a hard time feeling bad for BW right now.

Rofl. Shut down the servers to prevent people from being corpse camped inside their base? Whiners need to grow thicker skin. Punish 75% of the playerbase because 25% think being corpse camped is an exploit.

Shutting the servers down takes very little time, they should have done it immediately and kept them down until the issue was resolved,

Then you'd be complaining that you couldn't play because of one issue that doesn't impact the bulk of the database.

Just so you know, a 24 hour turnaround is pretty fast, when you consider it needed to be coded, patched in, and distributed to all the clients.

Software updates are a bit more complicated than waving a magic wand....

It's not fast when you play this game for the entire 24 hours. If you actually have other things going on in life it's pretty fast. I think that's where the gap is in this forum.

It's not fast when you play this game for the entire 24 hours. If you actually have other things going on in life it's pretty fast. I think that's where the gap is in this forum.

Not to mention the gap of common sense. There is no perfect answer. No one answer YET has been perfect, someone lists an idea someone else complains. The fact is there was/is no perfect answer... as it is the very nature of humans to complain because we think our way is better. BW provided a solution to the camping issue rather quickly, then players found some other thing to exploit. And the cycle repeats, exploit..fix..complain rinse and repeat...its a no win scenario.

Edited by Cbrinegar

How does one foresee an unforeseen bug?

Testers have a bit of a different mentality then most players. Sure they have a better understanding of what they should do to brake something but they had little pvp updates in that patch. They had no reason to go to ilium and look around.

And even if they did they don't get paid to have the mentality of trying to win by any means just play a normal game.

You're describing a bad tester.

As a QA Tester, in all likelyhood the conversation went something like this:

Tester logs bug about how Illum could possibly be abused.

Devs brush it off because such a situation "probably won't happen at all, much less be wide-spread enough to actually be a problem", then marks the bug as "ship with" or "won't fix" and calls it a day.

Patch goes live, and it turns out the tester was right.

Dev now gets a plate full of crow, the previously closed bug gets reopened and immediately escalated.

Tester feel real smug. Devs now owe him a solid that he can't collect because it would involve admitting to a "mere QA tester" they were wrong.

Tester probably gets let go next week for something.

...god I love the company I work for. We're too small for this kind of crap.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. The problem went untouched for the better part of a day. I think we may have different definitions of "fast".

I bet OP also has a different definition of fps issues, he must play at 20 fps and think it's good enough :D

The bad thing is done, the "fix" is too late dear boy.

If you play the game for 24 hours straight, you've got bigger problems. If you think that makes the response time slow, you've bigger problems still.

Common sense and experience in the genre tells me that a 24 hour fix is fast. Every single WoW content patch has had exploits and needed hotfixing and many took days or even weeks to implement. I used to GM on a private WoW server, and we had to do all the coding ourselves, and many fixes just made new problems.

Then you'd be complaining that you couldn't play because of one issue that doesn't impact the bulk of the database.

Tell me, dear Medium, what do you see for 2012 elections ? Who will win ? :D

It's clear they weren't fast enough to issue the fix, EU got it in middle of their primetime, I think they wouldn't have be against to have the issue fixed MANY hours before that...

And if it came to be at US' exposure, too bad but that would have been "less worse" I'd say.

A lot of people who call themselves "hard core Pvp'ers" purchased this game to get their hard core pvp on.

Did it ever cross your mind that this game may not have the best PvP or even mediocre PvP due to the fact that this is their first forray into PvP whatsoever. Also, it's their first MMO ever. If their are problems at launch it is to be expected. Go play a game made by a seasoned developer in the world of PvP and come back in a few months.

Also, ditch the whiny, self serving, entitled attitude.

I suggest that you not say things that you have no way of verifying as truth. When you say the problem went untouched for the better part of a day...how do you know this for a fact?

And I believe I made my point nicely...unfortunately, you missed it.

No, what you managed to do is miss the point completely because you're too busy taking my comment out of context. I was not saying that Bioware sat on their hands doing nothing about the issue with Ilum. Obviously that's not true; they told us early in the day they were looking into it and working on a fix.

However, if you actually apply some good ol' reading comprehension to my statement you'll perhaps realize that I was not referring to the bugs and design flaws in the zone, but instead the exploiting behavior of the players in the zone. There were paying customers who were trapped in a death cycle because of the valor farmers exploiting the defenseless home base. For hours. For A LOT of hours. And it does not take that long to take a zone offline. This is something customer support should have been handling while the developers took a look at the root problem. But as these players were allowed to sit there exploiting for 8+ hours throughout the day, I think we can safely say they failed to act quickly in resolving THAT particular problem - you know.. the one everyone was raging on the forums about.

Everyone who is suggesting to me that Bioware handled this quickly and referring to code changes is completely missing that point. I do not expect programmers to storm into a zone, boot players out, and lock everything down. I do expect GMs and customer support to react to situations like these much more quickly than they did. Regardless of whether it is a breakdown in communication, in procedure, or a lack of necessary functionality, they simply took way too long to respond to the situation that was taking place on Ilum. And now, because of that, they have to waste a whole lot of time and man-hours analyzing their metrics in an attempt to ascertain the extent of the damage and take the appropriate steps to repair it.

Next time react faster. If people are openly exploiting like that (to the point where videos of huge exploiting crowds are being posted on youtube) that kind of situation needs to be put down within an hour, not within 8+ hours.

Edited by Apax

Yeah...a fast fix for a game breaking bug that never should gone live. They get no kudos from me for that.

then why the hell are u still here already....damn seriously haters like u are just a minority hidden in caves trying desperatly to make swtor look bad....well get this....

This game is fine,has its issues LIKE ANY NEW ENTRY MMO'S wich WILL be fixed all in time.

If u dont have patience (advice) DONT play mmo's

The MAJORITY are enjoying the game and shows it INGAME and dont give a crap about what haters keeps saying about swtor.

u dont like it the door mr...that way ------------>

Edited by Maniigoldo

I grinded rank 60 through 100% Warzones and it took FORRRREEEVVVEERRR. I got rank 60-62 through Illum in about 5 hours played which is around 115k Valor. I am not upset about people joining OPS and grinding the valor legit in Illum. I am upset about those full OPS AoE trading kills, everyone involved should have their valor reset to 30.

A lot of people who call themselves "hard core Pvp'ers" purchased this game to get their hard core pvp on.

Did it ever cross your mind that this game may not have the best PvP or even mediocre PvP due to the fact that this is their first forray into PvP whatsoever. Also, it's their first MMO ever. If their are problems at launch it is to be expected. Go play a game made by a seasoned developer in the world of PvP and come back in a few months.

Also, ditch the whiny, self serving, entitled attitude.

This is by far their first forray into PvP..

You can surely not have missed all their bragging about their "world top PvP developer team" now can you? If you have, then I can assure you, that the ones doing the PvP in swtor Should have alot of experience about PvP. From games like Warhammer Online.

Evidently something went horribly wrong! Because the OWPvP in WAR was actually a well thought out system, while here it's just a joke.

Bottom line: The people doing the PvP in swtor are actually The team with the most MMO experience out of all the BW teams doing swtor. Funny how that works out :p