The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Who Served?

Zibit

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never did. My grandfather was a Gunnery Sgt. in the Marines and recently passed from cancer at 78. 20 year Marine and was in a lot of the major wars of our time.

Because of him, I have the utmost respect for all of you that served and thank everyone of you from the bottom of my heart for time away from family in service of your country.

That's awesome man. Your grandfather is the type of person I seek out and listen to. I like hearing the old war stories. Sorry about his passing as well.

I never served, but have been through 29 Palms. You have my sympathies!

I've had a wee glimpse at life in. Spent 1.5 months on a Canadian Coast Guard ice breaker in the high arctic, and downed some beers at the Top of the World Club (Thule AFB, Greenland). Didn't seem to be much more for the kids stationed there to do but drink (ditto the local Danes TBH). Flew out of there on September 10th, 2001. The guys who were there for crew change on our ship got stuck in port for 2-3 weeks the next day.

lol 29 palms is rough, but no better combat training anywhere in the states. And booo ships getting stuck lol

Edited by Zibit

I am not military myself but my son did serve in the marine corps. Just wanted to salute you all for doing a great job in protecting our country and freedom..................:)

Thanks for your appreciation. For most, it's a great opportunity to serve and gain skills, as I'm sure your son has.

Hey, we were at Campbell at the same time! I probably helped haul y'all around at some point. I was an 88M and we ran all over that post. :-D

Thats cool. I imagine you did. I was with Aco, 326 engineers. We were usually attached to 327 infantry when we were out in the field. It sure is a small world sometimes.

Many of the Marines I served with got out and went into contracting.. great money but so much time spent away from CONUS

Yeah the pay is increased ten fold but the time away from home is increased as well. There are CONUS jobs for me but they are easier to get once you do some time with a company overseas. Lucky for me my wife is prior service as well, so she is a bit more understanding.

11B4P currently at Bragg. Just left 2P to sit at a desk at Corps. Stupid jump injuries...

I've also done Campbell x3 (1-327, 2-187 and 1-502), Korea (1-503) and Germany (V Corps).

I'm set to retire in <4yrs. Which is a-ok with me.

I am not Military, but wanted to take this opportunity to THANK YOU ALL for your service.

:ph_thank_you:

Thank you, that's nice to hear. I left the military in 1987. In 2011, I heard my first "Thank you". It's great that patriotism is back in favor.