Medals on war zones: a great idea that needs to be improved

Beyondpanic

Hi Bioware,

at first i want to say that i really like your war-zones, its really fun to play and also the reward system is a really nice idea, BUT: Speaking of those rewards i think they are given in the wrong way.

Now you get most of the medals from simply zerging throughout the wz. For players focusing on the really important moves in a wz there is nearly no reward:

This is the scenario me and my friends often see:

A Huttball game:

player A (jedi Shadow) is fighting at the ball spawn point all over the game getting 8 medals for dmg and protection.

player B & C (jedi knight ans scoundrel) are scoring one goal after another by using stealth and jump abilities having maybe 4 medals in the end for the few enemies they needed to kill.

There are few player zerging, doing nearly nothing to achieve the victory getting medallions like hell, and the few who did their best to win the game are getting less.

This does not seem fair to me

so what about adding medals for:

planting bombs

interrupting bomb planting

defusing bombs

interrupting defusion

tabbing turrets

interrupting tab

passing the ball successfully

interrupting a pas

scoring a goal (for all player who touched the ball in a row, to prevent solo actions)

ofc with sacking number like for planting a bomb 1,2,3 (there ain't much more possible), for interrupting 2, 5, 10

this would make zerging count less and would make people try to do match-winning moves instead of brainless zerging.

I hope you like my ideas i think they would make wz more fun.

Edited by Beyondpanic

I think there should be some more options for 'medals'.

I see a lot of scoring and healing X amount and damage X amount. Killing Y people. Things that can be done fairly easy, so most people leave with 4. I think awards for doing things like interrupting and such should be in the game.

But yes, Interrupting every like 5 times gives you a medal, that would be fun. I like it, and I support this idea!

Totally agree. Current rewarding system is like something written by a child who only knows simple arithmetic maths.

The same case happens in the Civil War.

If you stay AFK at an occupied base while almost not a single enemy approaching, you get a lot more medals even if you deal 0 damage and 0 healing. Many low levels do this all the time, while those fought throughout the game on the other two bases (Not too close, but around it trying to grab it) would gain nothing if they fail. Efforts do not getyou paid.

As a result, the more you try to win, the less reward you receive. It ends up as AFK FTW for yourself. The system is encouraging player to forget about the victory, and just care for their own medals, as well as recommending self-centered behavior. This will only make people sick in Warzone.

RECOMMENDATION:

Objective score for defending a base should only be taken into account only when there are enemy players around. Participating in conflicts around a base should always provide objective score regardless of which faction is occupying it. Whether you succeed in taking it or not does not matter, it only matters that you really try to do something or not.

This means that you shall not stack up to defend a base while no enemy is coming, instead you should always go fight for other bases. This should result in a lot of mobility in the whole field. You won't be satisfied in a 2:1 no-fight stalemate. You need to go grab for the 3rd if you want medals.

other possible medals:

assist on ballhandlerkill

score medal for assisting one of the ballhandlers leading to the goal (heal/ guard)

giving more options to earn medals would make dmg/heal/guard medal count less while not making them unattractive.

i think its important to honor players that do special, important moves, not the one just dealing dmg/healing/guarding

If you stay AFK at an occupied base while almost not a single enemy approaching, you get a lot more medals even if you deal 0 damage and 0 healing. Many low levels do this all the time, while those fought throughout the game on the other two bases (Not too close, but around it trying to grab it) would gain nothing if they fail. Efforts do not getyou paid.

As a result, the more you try to win, the less reward you receive. It ends up as AFK FTW for yourself. The system is encouraging player to forget about the victory, and just care for their own medals, as well as recommending self-centered behavior. This will only make people sick in Warzone.

RECOMMENDATION:

Objective score for defending a base should only be taken into account only when there are enemy players around. Participating in conflicts around a base should always provide objective score regardless of which faction is occupying it. Whether you succeed in taking it or not does not matter, it only matters that you really try to do something or not.

This means that you shall not stack up to defend a base while no enemy is coming, instead you should always go fight for other bases. This should result in a lot of mobility in the whole field. You won't be satisfied in a 2:1 no-fight stalemate. You need to go grab for the 3rd if you want medals.

i cannot totally agree with that, it is necessary to stay at a base even if there is no obvious danger for it to provide stealthers from tabbing.

100% agreed.

I think that having more specific, more goal-oriented medals (instead of the HEY GO FIGHT IN THE MIDDLE ALL THE TIME YAY FIGHTING :D :D medals that exist now) would make it easier to teach less-knowledgeable players how to play the game... and pave the way for a system like the one I lay out in http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=204881 .

I think a lot of small things could improve the Hell out of this game.

Medals don't necessarily need to be removed, but they do need to be revamped.

Think of it this way. Medals should only influence things like commendation/valor gain if your team wins. If your team loses you get stuck with a base amount of commendations and valor regardless of how many medals you gained.

Regarding huttball, the scoring needs to be entirely revamped. I can derp around, killing the opponent ball handler a few times, and earn 2600 objective points. In another game I can Assist 3 consecutive scores by passing, and score a goal on my own and get... 800 objective points.

Edited by Shivus

i cannot totally agree with that, it is necessary to stay at a base even if there is no obvious danger for it to provide stealthers from tabbing.

This I think it's good the people that stay and defend a base get medals as it encourages the team to defend the nodes that they have.

This I think it's good the people that stay and defend a base get medals as it encourages the team to defend the nodes that they have.

It is only necessary when enemies coming for it. And you can predict if you are fighting at the right place, watching around, being alert.

Unfortunately this is not the actual case. It is always about OVER DEFENSE. Frequently HALF OF THE OPS 'defending' (I would say it is pretending to defend) the same base which no enemy is coming for, while the rest trying to grab one more. How can you win with this? Impossible! That's why my PvP dailies sleep in my quest log for a week and I can never finish it.

Unless you are winning, I don't see any reason to protest defending the only base with half of your ops. Who is going to attack if sleeping in a harmless base deserves the most credit?

Medals don't necessarily need to be removed, but they do need to be revamped.

Think of it this way. Medals should only influence things like commendation/valor gain if your team wins. If your team loses you get stuck with a base amount of commendations and valor regardless of how many medals you gained.

Regarding huttball, the scoring needs to be entirely revamped. I can derp around, killing the opponent ball handler a few times, and earn 2600 objective points. In another game I can Assist 3 consecutive scores by passing, and score a goal on my own and get... 800 objective points.

no one wants medals to be removed they are a great invention

medals only counting when winning is no good idea, it would make people stop trying in a situation where a loss is predictable.

about the objektive points, i like the way they work on civil war, only, as so already said fighting at a turret should always give objektive points no matter if its controled by you, the enemy or neutral