Stupidity at it's finest

FalcoLombardi

Or the stupid fee could just be removed..and it saves me rescources

Or you could just craft more. Farm some mats, sell some, give some away, and it's all profit for you because you make credits and happy friends. Or you could just post your auctions for a shorter time. Or just not even sell them on the GTN, advertise in Trade, and there you go no deposit!

Point is, there isn't a problem, you are just making one for yourself by being obstinate.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If people sell too high, no one will buy and they will have to lower their prices. It's basic business

Yes, and basic business generally doesn't preclude listing fees, which a good chunk of the economic world has in this regard.

The point is that it encourages selling for reasonable prices and discourages people gouging the market.

This is a common MMO mainstay.

As someone has already said...If an Item does NOT sell you get back the ENTIRE deposit so the cost of posting the sale is actually ZERO.

If it DOES sell you get back most of the deposit plus your asking price. The GTN "cut" is something very small like 1% of the sales price.

One of the reasons for deposits is to prevent players from using the CTN as a method of STORAGE. ie.. Post an item you dont really want to sell for some ungodly price and once it doesnt sell you let it linger in your mail for a couple of weeks till you decide what to do with it. This clogs up the systems with garbage mail.

Yes, and basic business generally doesn't preclude listing fees, which a good chunk of the economic world has in this regard.

The point is that it encourages selling for reasonable prices and discourages people gouging the market.

This is a common MMO mainstay.

Like I've said before. If the price is too high, no one will buy and they'll be forced to lower their prices so they can make some money

Or you could just craft more. Farm some mats, sell some, give some away, and it's all profit for you because you make credits and happy friends. Or you could just post your auctions for a shorter time. Or just not even sell them on the GTN, advertise in Trade, and there you go no deposit!

Point is, there isn't a problem, you are just making one for yourself by being obstinate.

I don't advertise in trade chat for several reasons. One, I usually got other stuff to do, like get my daily commendations for gear or level another toon. Two, I hate dealing with people. And three, it's more convenient. Again, I see no problem with removing the fee, there's no point to it. There's nothing wrong with buying low and selling higher to make a profit

I don't advertise in trade chat for several reasons. One, I usually got other stuff to do, like get my daily commendations for gear or level another toon. Two, I hate dealing with people. And three, it's more convenient. Again, I see no problem with removing the fee, there's no point to it. There's nothing wrong with buying low and selling higher to make a profit

There is a point to it, and part of it is a convenience charge. The other part is to discourage people from posting items on auction them removing them if the bid isn't to their liking, which currently we don't have in this game.

So if you don't like dealing with people, post your auctions for a shorter time. I don't see why this is a problem.

Like I've said before. If the price is too high, no one will buy and they'll be forced to lower their prices so they can make some money

You must not be keen on how economics work...

You're right, if prices are too high that the market cannot bear it, yes they'll drop...however, if just a few are sold for high prices that gives incentive to continue to sell it for said price, or even raise it.

In MMOs it's rather common to find items selling for 1000x the actual value of the item, either because of desirability or rarity...the point of listing fees is to discourage this by having the seller pay a fee (which has been shown to you is returned) to post it before they can sell it.

There is a point to it, and part of it is a convenience charge. The other part is to discourage people from posting items on auction them removing them if the bid isn't to their liking, which currently we don't have in this game.

So if you don't like dealing with people, post your auctions for a shorter time. I don't see why this is a problem.

Shorter time means I got constantly put it back on. What's wrong with removing an item if people don't like the profit they'll get. I see no issue with this

Ok, I suppose that's fine. But it shouldn't be there at all. I put it up for sale and then what if a guildy says he wants it? I lose money because I have to take it off. It should be removed

Wait till the sale expires, the maximum time a sale can be live is 2 days, but you can list it for a few hours, a single day or the full two. The longer the listing is for, the higher the security deposit, which you get back when the item sells or the listing expires.

What stings is when the item you wanted to post at 5500, gets posted at 550,028...because you accidently didn't clear out all of the default price...and you get hit with a 70K+ deposit. Sure I got the entire 70K+ deposit back in 2 days after the item didn't sell...but it taught me to recheck my auction prices before clicking OK. lol

Shorter time means I got constantly put it back on. What's wrong with removing an item if people don't like the profit they'll get. I see no issue with this

Then you basically cheat out the person who was willing to pay the price you had listed it for...

You must not be keen on how economics work...

You're right, if prices are too high that the market cannot bear it, yes they'll drop...however, if just a few are sold for high prices that gives incentive to continue to sell it for said price, or even raise it.

In MMOs it's rather common to find items selling for 1000x the actual value of the item, either because of desirability or rarity...the point of listing fees is to discourage this by having the seller pay a fee (which has been shown to you is returned) to post it before they can sell it.

I may not have gone to economics school but I'm pretty sure I got a good grasp. If a few are sold for high prices. I'll give an example

Object A is being sold for 12000, 10000, and 11,500. (we'll call all these prices high). Me, being an Enteprenuer, check this out. I notice those are the prices and realize I can be happy selling it for 7-8K making good money off of it at a reasonable prices. If they want to stay competitive they have to lower their prices down to mine or lower.

Again even if there's only a few on there and they're way high, people still won't buy them. The prices will fall to the consumers liking, and they will buy. Also other sellers will be smart and sell for a good percentage under and make money

So, today. I decided to check the Galactic Trade Market to see how much I could sell an Advanced Skill Barrel 22, which I can make. I saw the lowest one was 15K. With it being that cheap, I decided to buy it and sell it for 17,500 so I could initially make, a 16.6% profit.

However, there is something in place that I find completely stupid. I had to pay 2300 something credits to put it up on the market (the details didn't really go through my head until recently) but I only made 200 credits off the sale. Why do I have to PAY something to sell something? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of selling stuff?

In my honest opinion, this should be removed. I can already see some of the comments in the future that will attack me..

It's not the concept of the listing fee (all markets have them), it's that the level is way, way high, really. It should be reduced but not eliminated.

I may not have gone to economics school but I'm pretty sure I got a good grasp. If a few are sold for high prices. I'll give an example

Object A is being sold for 12000, 10000, and 11,500. (we'll call all these prices high). Me, being an Enteprenuer, check this out. I notice those are the prices and realize I can be happy selling it for 7-8K making good money off of it at a reasonable prices. If they want to stay competitive they have to lower their prices down to mine or lower.

Again even if there's only a few on there and they're way high, people still won't buy them. The prices will fall to the consumers liking, and they will buy. Also other sellers will be smart and sell for a good percentage under and make money

Yes, but my point of basic economics is that people will push the limits of the 'market'...the listing price is what keeps people from pushing too hard, too early.

So, today. I decided to check the Galactic Trade Market to see how much I could sell an Advanced Skill Barrel 22, which I can make. I saw the lowest one was 15K. With it being that cheap, I decided to buy it and sell it for 17,500 so I could initially make, a 16.6% profit.

However, there is something in place that I find completely stupid. I had to pay 2300 something credits to put it up on the market (the details didn't really go through my head until recently) but I only made 200 credits off the sale. Why do I have to PAY something to sell something? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of selling stuff?

In my honest opinion, this should be removed. I can already see some of the comments in the future that will attack me..

you get 100% of your deposit back weather the item sells or not and as long as you don't pull it off the market yourself

what exactly is your complaint about?

you get 100% of your deposit back weather the item sells or not and as long as you don't pull it off the market yourself

what exactly is your complaint about?

Well first of all I didn't know about this but still. If I decide to pull it off the market I lose that money

Yes, but my point of basic economics is that people will push the limits of the 'market'...the listing price is what keeps people from pushing too hard, too early.

I see that the limits of the market could be pushed. That will happen anyways, however, people like myself step in when we notice that and sell a decent amount lower than everyone else and get a nice profit and make people need to lower their prices if they want to compete in the fun game of The Market. In SWG, when I played, Sith Holocron Meditation 4/5 sold for about 8 million credits. I bought it at 2-4 million and sold them for 5-7 million and the people at 8 million rarely sold any because they didn't lower their prices

Auction Houses always charge a fee for using their services, in the real world and in MMOs. One I play levies about 30% from a sale, however the AH is always busy. It is a way to remove cash from the game.

This is not a real AH for there is no bidding as far as I can see. I am also surprised at how many are trying to sell at the default price that the game asks. A lot of things will sell if you ask for a little bit less.

Edited by ShotByBothSides

Auction Houses always charge a fee for using their services, in the real world and in MMOs. One I play levies about 30% from a sale, however the AH is always busy. It is a way to remove cash from the game.

This is not a real AH for there is no bidding as far as I can see. I am also surprised at how many are trying to sell at the default price that the game asks. A lot of things will sell if you ask for a little bit less.

I personally don't think a fee should be there. Removing cash from the game doesn't make sense to me either. Not a fan of bidding either, that'll drive up prices more than just flat out selling I can bet ya somone with alot of money will crush all the other bids

I personally don't think a fee should be there. Removing cash from the game doesn't make sense to me either. Not a fan of bidding either, that'll drive up prices more than just flat out selling I can bet ya somone with alot of money will crush all the other bids

Would you like to prices in the AH fluctuate wildly from one hour to the next? That is what would happen if there was no penalty for taking your item out of an auction.

You are not honest, you are a parasite... Somebody builded something and put it on the market to a moderate price, to make people happy and what you are doing is disgusting.

If I would be the maker of the item and would catch you doing something similar, I would call you out on the whole server.

So dont come here, asking for sympathy. Go and work.

Edited by Baudrillard

Would you like to prices in the AH fluctuate wildly from one hour to the next? That is what would happen if there was no penalty for taking your item out of an auction.

How would that make it fluctuate? Speakinf of, I just checked the prices on those barrels. They're not at 17K. 500 credits less than what I sold mine for. They were at 24K. I dropped the market prices by doing what I did