How to Calculate DPS

avifalafel

How do I ensure my DPSers are doing their fair share while I'm busy tanking?

Kind of hard to watch a player while I'm busy also playing.

I already have a spreadsheet to calculate my Sniper's DPS, but I need to calculate other raid members DPS too, and not their "hypothetical" DPS but their true DPS, so I can make sure no one's taking a free ride.

In PVP warzones it tells you your over all DPS. One time I got 134.9 dps.

1. Note target's health.

2. Start timer and damage.

3. Stop timer and divide time by health.

It's not exact, but it should give you a good idea. If it takes you 10 seconds to kill a 37k health gold mob at level, its an approximated 3,700 dps. I wouldn't brag about these approximated numbers, but it should give you a good idea of how much you can do... 5 dots or not.

If combat logs were implemented, people would develop tools for measuring dps output, and the balance flaws would become obvious. Of course this can not be allowed to happen, you can't make money off a bad product if people know just how bad it is, duh!

In PVP warzones it tells you your over all DPS. One time I got 134.9 dps.

1. Note target's health.

2. Start timer and damage.

3. Stop timer and divide time by health.

It's not exact, but it should give you a good idea. If it takes you 10 seconds to kill a 37k health gold mob at level, its an approximated 3,700 dps. I wouldn't brag about these approximated numbers, but it should give you a good idea of how much you can do... 5 dots or not.

This is a horrible and totally inaccurate way of calculating your dps (damage per second). Warzones are the worst because you are dealing with being CC'd, defensive cooldowns that you are trying to burn through, etc... The amount of time that it actually takes you to kill someone is not reflective of your dps at all. Some classes do more burst damage and then fizzle out, other classes do more sustained damage over time. Just because someone can burst down an opponent faster does not mean his overall dps is higher (Ops and Scoundrels for example).

The overall damage done at the end of a WZ is also not reflective of dps. DPS can only truly be calculated over a sustained period of time with no interruption in damage done on the target.

This is a horrible and totally inaccurate way of calculating your dps (damage per second). Warzones are the worst because you are dealing with being CC'd, defensive cooldowns that you are trying to burn through, etc... The amount of time that it actually takes you to kill someone is not reflective of your dps at all. Some classes do more burst damage and then fizzle out, other classes do more sustained damage over time. Just because someone can burst down an opponent faster does not mean his overall dps is higher (Ops and Scoundrels for example).

The overall damage done at the end of a WZ is also not reflective of dps. DPS can only truly be calculated over a sustained period of time with no interruption in damage done on the target.

If damage output/time isn't a good way to measure DPS what is?

If damage output/time isn't a good way to measure DPS what is?

You need to factor in a larger data set, that can take into account your miss chance, crit chance, etc.

One fight doesn't tell you your DPS.

A couple weeks of parsing and comparison does.