Sith titles and Darth Maul

NevetzVess

Many Sith Lords chose to add "Darth" to their name, so much so that the word is considered synonymous with the dark side of the Force in some circles. It was also taken to signify giving up one's old life. Such examples are Anakin Skywalker becoming Darth Vader, or Jacen Solo becoming Darth Caedus. But the origins of the word are uncertain. It is often thought that "Darth" is merely a contraction of the title "Dark Lord of the Sith", but there are theories that suggest a deeper interpretation.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth

Lord was a title of nobility, deity, and, in past times, a military rank, such as a Jedi Lord. The female version of Lord was Lady. It was in common use among the Sith, usually used in lieu of Darth when formally referring to Dark Lords.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth

all in all not much diff its just sounds good from diff perspectives

Edited by ROSPA

The reason Maul has it is because of the Rule of Two established by Darth Bane, proclaiming that at any time there must only be two Sith, a Master and an Apprentice, both of them using the Darth title.

The Old Republic happens way before the Rule of Two, so that's why the Darth title is more "common". Also the honorific of Lady is rarely used in the Sith Empire because Lord is a much stronger and masculine title better associated with the power of a high ranking Sith.

that bugs the hell out of me when they call the female sith lord, how hard would it have been to record them saying "yes my lady" in stead of the "yes my lord"

they call women Sir too :/

Edited by Tirinas

Sir can be gender neutral depending on the situation. I actually prefer my female sorc being called sir and lord. Mam and Lady don't really fit the whole sith aesthetic and tend to have certain gender roles attached to them that I would not find at all appropriate for the setting.

But the origins of the word are uncertain

During the films Darth is just a title with no meaning

I'm 99% sure that "Darth" originally held no inherent meaning and was part of the quasi-spoiler of Darth Vader being intended to sound like/be a variarion of "Dark Father" in the original movies.

As the setting caught on and the universe expanded, "Darth" became some sort of Sith title, but I don't believe it was intended as such originally.

There are many cases in the films and the clones wars cartoons where females are called sir and lord. I think its a star wars thing. When its to do with military rank (which is it 99% of the time in the sith empire) its gender neutral. I think maybe if you saw 2 sith being social outside of work (you know killing rebs) they might use lady instead?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.