The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

3 PM PST; 6PM EST; not a single heavy server.

Mannic

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LoTRO was doing so well, it went F2P.

They went F2P to make more money, because F2P is a much bigger money maker than monthly subscriptions are, AND it was a nice way to "relaunch" the game to a new audience. They're making more money now than they were before F2P.

They went F2P to make more money, because F2P is a much bigger money maker than monthly subscriptions are, AND it was a nice way to "relaunch" the game to a new audience. They're making more money now than they were before F2P.

This is not true. LoTRO was not doing great. It was taken free to play to save the game.

They went F2P to make more money, because F2P is a much bigger money maker than monthly subscriptions are...

Keep telling yourself that.

The way you know that F2P is, in fact, NOT a huge money maker is that triple-A MMO's never go F2P until they just don't have enough subscribers to go on. Then they go F2P and get a slight bump in revenues, but it takes millions of players in a F2P title to make as much money as a couple hundred thousand subscribers make in a subscription MMO. That's why you NEVER see an MMO with more than about 150K subs go F2P.

Every server is light or standard in NA as I write this.

In the world there are 5 "heavy servers."

Edit: Make that 3 now.

Yeah, there is like 1 person in my guild that is not at work / school right now (out of 16) because she is a stay-at-home-mom ...

I am off in 1 hour though so will be be online on my server playing til I crash in about 1.5 hours ... so excited ... love the game ...

I dont play WOW, but they have cross-servers, so its never really empty or low population server, im not saying to do this here

Ok so here is rift for you then.. Its now 5:34.. Oh btw why so 'MANY' of there servers are medium.. Is because they just got done closing down a poo load and changing their status to 'Trail User Server' forcing people to move their characters.

http://www.riftgame.com/en/shardstatus/

/mumbles something about the state of the American Education system and goes back to work.

Ok so here is rift for you then.. Its now 5:34.. Oh btw why so 'MANY' of there servers are medium.. Is because they just got done closing down a poo load and changing their status to 'Trail User Server' forcing people to move their characters.

/mumbles something about the state of the American Education system and goes back to work.

So what's your point? That TOR is doing better 1 month after release than a game that's 10 months from release and having to merge servers?

Not really a huge shock. Games one month old. It is typical. Everyone rushes out to buy game. Population explodes. Servers are made to keep people from crying about wait times logging in.

Some people dont like the game. Or play enough they get bored. They quit. Population goes down. Server population goes down.

Pretty standard stuff. Been going on for years now.

Now the rest is up to Bio. Can they fix the stuff people didnt like enough to get them back. Add enough new content for the bored. Or make the game fantastic enough that word of mouth gets it growing again or holding those that are left.

LoTRO was doing so well, it went F2P.

It's remained profitable, and profits increased when they went F2P. The latest expansion was their biggest seller yet.

Thus it's not "failing" by any reasonable standard. And yet, lo and behold, people have been claiming since closed beta that LotRO would be a flop and would disappear in a matter of weeks.

Same as here; it's merely a tiresome indulgence in pessimism.

So what's your point? That TOR is doing better 1 month after release than a game that's 10 months from release and having to merge servers?

My statement is that to the one that 'complained' about the servers being at medium.. ITS NOT PRIME TIME.. Have you read my other posts?

WoW..

I'm not insulting anyone. I come home from work and pretend to be a bounty hunter.

The difference is, I don't think I'm inherently better or more mature or more adult than other people just because I work for a living.

I never said that I think I'm inherently better or more mature than you... You're proving that yourself! All I said was "it may be hard for you to understand" because (sorry if I'm wrong) you're PROBABLY a kid, so you may not have thought about the fact that adults get off of work at around 4-6PM (typically).

I don't think I'm better than you, and I didn't even think you were immature until you started shoving words in my mouth that I never said. You just have to realize that while people like me and you (who are currently unemployed or don't have school or whatever) may be able to play at all times, MOST people have other obligations. The server populations will be a lot better at 6PM, do not worry.

Pwned again!

/thread

Jesus you guys make more damage to the game and comunity then the haters.

1- i dont play any other mmorpg then this one

2- im in europe not in USA

3- 30 peeps on the fleet during all peek time Oo

4- Guys like you are kiling the comunity thats its trying to fix real problems in some servers

4- Guys like you are kiling the comunity thats its trying to fix real problems in some servers

Whiners are the ones that give any MMO community a bad name. In Europe, it's closing in on midnight, which is not considered a part of peak time anywhere unless you're a vampire or other nocturnal creature. Get a grip and stop playing the Chicken Little game.

Watch the excuses roll in. People are at work. People are still on holiday. Bioware increased the server capacities.

Fact is, people are leaving the game in droves and todays patch probably pushed many people to cancel when they were on the fence. The very fact that there is such an extreme drop in server pops is a good indication that this game has had a large number of players all ready bail on it.

And nothing of value was lost. Buh-bye.

Watch the excuses roll in. People are at work. People are still on holiday. Bioware increased the server capacities.

Fact is, people are leaving the game in droves and todays patch probably pushed many people to cancel when they were on the fence. The very fact that there is such an extreme drop in server pops is a good indication that this game has had a large number of players all ready bail on it.

People are at work. People are still on holiday. Bioware increased the server capacities.

Whiners are the ones that give any MMO community a bad name. In Europe, it's closing in on midnight, which is not considered a part of peak time anywhere unless you're a vampire or other nocturnal creature. Get a grip and stop playing the Chicken Little game.

8PM today 30 peeps on the fleet in "The kumugah server"

you know what your are right there is no problem its just my imagination.....

Seriously just getting tired of the incessant whining and self entitlement threads. People want to sit here and complain that the server isn't at high or full status, when this is a normal cycle that all newly released MMO's go through should have their fingers slappy by a Catholic Nun and a yard stick.

The state of what I see on most MMO forums makes my stomach churn quite honestly.

It's remained profitable, and profits increased when they went F2P. The latest expansion was their biggest seller yet.

Thus it's not "failing" by any reasonable standard. And yet, lo and behold, people have been claiming since closed beta that LotRO would be a flop and would disappear in a matter of weeks.

Same as here; it's merely a tiresome indulgence in pessimism.

A large part of why they're doing so much better and why they went F2P in the first place is that they had a large part of the base that had bought lifetime subscriptions and they were making literally nothing off of them anymore. Sure, they gave those folks a lot of perks in the changeover including monthly points and the like, but they still are making money off of those people who make microtransactions when they had no change to in the past with the exception of off of expansions.

That said, usually when a game goes F2P it's not a good sign, but in LotRO that just wasn't the case. It helped them quite a bit. Then again, not every game offers their playerbase a lifetime subscription model, which although a great deal in the long run for many customers can be a real revenue killer for the company down the road.

Edited by Degarmo

The community isnt on the forums - the forums have the .05% of throwbacks with nothing better to do. Myself included. :rolleyes: