Stop ruining the MMO Genre!

Vlakmir

Guild Wars 2 - "It's finished when it's finished"

SWTOR - "It's finished on December 25th regardless if it's really finished."

Really, have you all SEEN Ilum? hahahahahahah. NOW GO SEE IT AFTER THE PATCH! ROFLCOPTERS

Ahh you GW2 guys..

You honestly believe GW2 will launch that much differently than any other MMO?

It won't.

It also won't be all that different from every other MMO. You think it will, their devs want you to believe it will.

It won't.

this is the way it is ,

the biggest problem WoW caused was introducing on-line gaming to the "BOOM, head shoot" crowd , anyone over 35 knows what I'm talking about , it was not always like this .

Actually when you take into account that 2003 - 2005 was about the time when people started getting much better internet connections and thus the entire internet was enriched, it's no suprising what happened.

It wasn't blizzards fault, just the fact that the internet became much more "accessible" to the masses.

Blizzard just launched WoW at the right time to take advantage of the situation.

Edited by Tarka

I guess you guys dont see that 3/4 of posts are complaints about this game as well as in game chat right now.

I have not met a single person on my server that has anything overwhelmingly negative about this game, and I'm the kind of guy who asks what people think every time I enter a new planet or go to fleet. I have been met with a lot of positives and some people who want things changed, but no one canceling their subscriptions.

I have friends who play on different servers whom I've asked to do the same thing, and they've given me similar responses to my own experience, so there is not just one side to a coin.

Yeah, Bioware is just going to flush millions down the toilet because some players complain about thier game. Their feelings are just too fragile, forget their careers. BUT if we all keep our game faces on, adopt a pleasant attitude, pull together, eat a hearty breakfast and, above all, turn our collective frowns upside down Bioware will do something miraculous. :rolleyes:

That about the size of it?

Nothing wrong with having an optimistic viewpoint, especially when it's something you've paid for and/or plan on continuing to pay for. Not everyone needs to be gloom and doom for things to change or get fixed.

this is the way it is ,

the biggest problem WoW caused was introducing on-line gaming to the "BOOM, head shoot" crowd , anyone over 35 knows what I'm talking about , it was not always like this .

**** I'm 33 and I know EXACTLY what you're talking about.

Edited by HavenAE

Stop ruining the Genre. You're going to make it so companies don't take on MMO projects because the community is so unappreciative and ruthless.

They will always make MMO project where are idiots who will pay for half finished product, medium resolution textures, broken abilities, broken game engine, unmodifiable UI, unmovable UI, bad PvP system in 2012 and beyond.

Nothing wrong with having an optimistic viewpoint, especially when it's something you've paid for and/or plan on continuing to pay for. Not everyone needs to be gloom and doom for things to change or get fixed.

Thing is, a lot of us have been were you are. We've been optimistic, had unwavering faith in an MMO company because of it's past history or certain devs who are a part of that team.

We were so sure that all the issues will be fixed asap and that people just need to have patience.......everything will be alright in the end......

And then the reality of the situation dawned....

Edited by Tarka

What ruined the MMO genre was making everything easy and giving everyone an easy means to get the top rewards. That feeling of seeing a level 50 with raid gear and being wowed (no pun intended) and setting yourself to one day having that gear, that feeling is completely gone. Now if everyone doesn't have max gear from soloing they get mad.

Soloing everything also ruined the MMO genre, the socialization is just completely gone from MMO's in general. People just want to rush to end game, and then rush through dungeons with socialization being looked upon as a hindrance to finishing the dungeon. Even when doing lots of grouping it still feels lonely. MMO's are so easy that players have dozens of "alts", instead of focusing on one or 2 avatars, focusing on server reputation and making social connections.

It's probably also connected to the general downfall of the internet in general, especially forums where it's so easy to be rude and judgmental towards others without ever at least hearing them out.

I agree with the OP, but not the way he worded it, like others have said.

I'm not sure what changed in MMOs, to be honest with you. I started my MMO career back in Ultima Online. I then moved on to Eve-Online, and spent years grinding away everyday (It truly is a second job). Yea, there were some whiners in UO, and there are still whiners in Eve, but it's not nearly like it is for new MMOs starting up. Heck, the whiners in Eve actually make suggestions in an articulate manner and not "U NERFED ME, U SUCK".

Listen, SWTOR is really new, and it's doing something other games haven't done yet. Give Bioware time to get their feet wet in the MMO world and work on improving the game. Yes, they need time to work on the game because even in beta, you can't find every single problem there is. It's impossible for any company, unless you throw just scads of money at play-testing to get it perfect, and generally game companies are running overbudget as it is just getting the game to the point of a beta test.

Remember, Blizzard made some awful blunders with WoW early on, EQII made awful blunders as well, and even Eve-Online screwed up a few times early on. It happens, as nobody is perfect.

Now, if you are so miserable with this game, and think it's so horrid then unsub and walk away. What have you lost if you did that?

Edited by BMBommarito

Thing is, a lot of us have been were you are. We've been optimistic, having faith in an MMO company and it's past history. Was sure that all the issues will be fixed asap and that people just need to have patience.......

And then the reality of the situation dawned....

And you're assuming I'm anything like any of the rest of you that "were where I am."

I unlike a lot of people on these forums and like many older gamers who have experienced this genre for years upon years aren't under the dillusion that everything gets fixed in a month or that everything gets fixed before launch.

Edited by HavenAE

Hello everyone,

We are closing this thread. While we understand that people can be frustrated with the community at times, please understand that threads like this, while made with good intentions, tend to draw out people who wish to be overly negative and incite flames. In the future, please create threads that encourage gameplay discussion and not ones which comment negatively on the community.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.