Promethium

kidistight

I am currently level 40 and have been sending my 3 companions on Underworld Trading missions for about a day. I have not received this darn mat for the life of me, I am sending my companion with a Underworld Trading bonus on the longest possible missions.

Just wondering if anyone else is having the hardest time receiving this mat, I don't think anyone in my galaxy is finding it either since I never see it on the GTN.

I have been researching it today and I am finding that you "might" need to be level 41 or higher to receive a mission that rewards this mat.

• 3 weeks later...
Promethium is pretty rare. It is a purple ore, after all. On my server, it goes for 14k on the GTN (don't know if anyone actually buys it at that price). I doubt you need to be level 41. I'm pretty sure I had some Promethium stocked up before I hit that level.

I've noticed that they only time I've gotten purple mats is when I do the "Rich" or "Wealthy"* missions.

This comes from personal experience doing Diplomacy, Underworld Trading & Treasure Hunting.

*"wealthy" mission is from the one time use mission schematic.

Edited by Quiet

You only get a purple colored ore from either a mission crit (not sure the chance of it, but it isn't great with no affection.. allegedly it goes up with companion affection) or by running a "wealthy yield" mission from a mission discovery. When you "crit" on a gathering mission, you will receive 2 additional pieces of the material you sent your companion on, as well as half that many as purple mats.

So if you send your companion on a Rich Yield Grade 5 Metals, you will receive 8 Grade 5 blue quality metals (Quadraline I believe.) If it crits, you will receive 10 blue quality and 5 purple quality. If you send him on a lower yield and crit, you'll simply receive X+2 blue and (X+2)/2 purple where X represents normal yield (2 for moderate, 4 for abundant, 6 for bountiful, 8 for rich). If you don't crit you'll just receive X.

Incidentally you can crit on a wealthy yield.. for example a wealthy yield underworld trading yields 8x blue metal, 8x blue cloth, 4x purple metal, 4x purple cloth, and a blue quality companion gift. If you crit you'll receive 10x, 5x, 10x, 5x, and purple gift.

Sorry if this post isn't uber coherant, but hopefully you can gleen the info you need.

• 4 weeks later...
They should change the name of this stuff to Unobtainium. Eh? Eh? Amirite?

Not really, I've got about 30 of 'em in the bank. As a synthweaver, I haven't bothered RE'ing anything in the lvl 41-48 range to purple, as you're so close to 50 it seems like people wouldn't bother spending that much for upgrades.

I figure once my cybertech gets some of those purple ship upgrades she'll start selling those.

Not really, I've got about 30 of 'em in the bank. As a synthweaver, I haven't bothered RE'ing anything in the lvl 41-48 range to purple, as you're so close to 50 it seems like people wouldn't bother spending that much for upgrades.

I figure once my cybertech gets some of those purple ship upgrades she'll start selling those.

I am a robot. I cannot understand the HUMOR function, organic creature. Beep boop. SYNTAX ERROR! :[]

It took a month to come up with that reply...? :p

You know that the date of a post does not actually indicate the last time it was read. But, judging from the nature of your response, I will assume you've been sitting at your computer since the thread was created, mashing F5 with a finger worn to a pulpy nub. Don't bother replying in hopes that I will read your response. I have a Sandcrawler full of Unobtainium (lol u mad?) now and have outfitted a fleet with the ship parts I am producing.

I made the Unobtainium comment as a reference to Avatar and as a bit of humor for those who have had difficulty gathering this material. I apologize to those of you who live on planets comprised entirely of the stuff and thus cannot comprehend the plight of their less-lucky peers.

TLDR: WHY SO SERIOUS?

Getting back on topic...

There was a long while that I wasn't getting promethium from the underworld metal missions...AT ALL. I would get them from a special, 300 unlock mission but that was it.

My guess is that somewhere along the line the devs borked the roll and it stopped showing up.

Whatever they did in the last patch, it's back to showing up when your companion crits on a level 5 mission. You can now start harvesting promethium again to make those ship upgrades. ;)