You have picked your Destiny, so lay in it.

Caeliux

People is the solution, and people need to learn how to deal with faction unbalances.

I feel the need to chime in and state that while it is perfectly fine for some people to swap factions to "help the underdog" (read: become too bored to continue playing their currently overpopulated faction), this is not and should not be the primary solution. There are a number of ways to help the situation on Ilum, from scaling buffs given to the faction with the lower participation to providing multiple respawn locations in the map and the option to choose one upon death. I'm no game designer, so these ideas are probably crap, but I do know that BioWare is thankfully not relying on the playerbase to fix the issues v1.1 introduced.

Warzone bracketing should have been in place from the beginning of course, but for now I think it is a feasible solution to balance both the level disparity and the queue times by having extremely wide brackets. Something akin to 10-25, 26-40, 41-50. Then the company can tighten them up as the average level in the game shifts toward the higher end.

I am discouraged to read that platforms in this thread have waffled so frequently from the OP. One post is a call to arms for Reps to stop QQing and for Imps to reroll, while the very next is a plea to simply wait it out. That makes me lose faith that there is a strong, well-thought-out stance backing some of the opinions posted.

That being said OP, I do indeed have faith in BioWare's ability to fix the issues introduced with v1.1 and do plan on sticking around. I thank you for seeing the light (side of the force, get it?! XD) and joining the good guys, at least for a time being. I can appreciate that you are doing what you think best while we wait for the devs to rectify the situation.

Gentlemen (and ladies!), your flaming may now resume. Thank you for your time.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People have the option to roll a republic toon, problem is alot of people don't or won't.

Could Bioware cap servers with factions, and also put a meter or something to show the ratio on what factions own like a 10-1, 4-1 ect.

What would be the real solution though?

-If people are unhappy with constant Huttball, then reroll to see what is going on.

-Try another server.

-Read up and see who needs some rebs on their server.

-Be patient

-More is coming

-Game is only a month in

-Make friends and try to have fun

-List goes on

I can go on a rampage what people could and need to do, but I won't do that.

I think you get where I am going with this.

Game design in SWTOR is 2 faction, 3 Warzones, and some open-world.

Imps is the major faction, that is a fact.

Imps are tired of Huttball that is a fact.

Rebs are crying over Imps roflstomping them that is a fact.

People need to fix it and have patience, that is a fact.

Again, do you PvP? Because it seems like you don't. I have a character approaching 50 on Republic as well, and when i hop onto Republic to PvP, it's the opposite problem. You're doing Alderaan and Voidstar 95% of the time. The people you're competing against are Imperials with full suits of Champion gear. Republics don't have as many of those, because Republics have not been PvPing, because Republics have been getting rolled in PvP.

Changing servers? Really? That's your solution? For me to leave my guild and friends so i could go to the handful of servers that are balanced so i could have more balanced PvP?

Be patient? It's only a month? In what world are you living in where you think things will magically get better? If anything it's getting progressively worst. Why would anybody want to go to Republic when they are so outnumbered? In the beginning server population was more like 1.5 Imperials vs Republics. It's been a month and the population is more like 3 to 1. I started on Republic, and i moved over to Imperial, and i'm sure there have been many as well.

This is a problem across nearly every single server, which means the problem is one of game design. I know i switched to Imperial because the story was better, the gear was better looking, the abilities were better looking, and the population was healthier. The reasons people are picking Imperial over Republics are still there.

The game has only been released a month, so now is the time to fix it. Your solution is to wait it out and things will magically get better? What if it doesn't in 6 months and it's worst? NOW is the time to fix it.

So I think the main problem is that there is no INCENTIVE to play republic unless you are playing with friends.

The gear will always be a plain brown robe, white trooper gear, or a supervillan out of the 1980s look. From level 1-50. The Empire gear varies and gets progressively more interesting as you level.

The story lines on the republic side are not are interesting or engaging as the empire.

Taste for look is different for everyone, I actually like both factions, and love all the storys.

I do think Bioware did well with the looks, and if people think Sith is cooler then by all means it's a fashion choose.

I can't sit here and say that is reason for unbalances cause of looks, cause that would not be true in the large scale of things.

I am discouraged to read that platforms in this thread have waffled so frequently from the OP. One post is a call to arms for Reps to stop QQing and for Imps to reroll, while the very next is a plea to simply wait it out. That makes me lose faith that there is a strong, well-thought-out stance backing some of the opinions posted.

My post are as clear as day, but your right I end up straying away and start talking in other metaphoric ways, so I apologize if I am misleading in my thread.

I do think Rebs need to stop crying, I do urge Imps to think on flipping, and I do think people need to have patience.

My belief is people can make the change, if you don't stand and do something then there is no reason to complain.

Maybe I am a realist, and feel like problems can be solved without drama.

I might be oldschool at heart as well, because like I have said this isn't my first mmo where there is problems with factions.

Either way my intentions are not to drive people the wrong way, it's to point out there is other solutions out there.

Edited by Caeliux

They can go back in time and tell their past-selves that they are allowing their unconscious bias to tip the scales in favor of the Empire. They foolishly allowed the lion share of their creative energy to flow toward the darkside. Now it's too late. They need to do something about it years ago.

Most people picked sides without ever playing the game so it is invalid to blame developer bias

I have no idea why they made the Jedi a bunch of brown robe dorks who rail against love. Stupid.

Then you had devs all over twitter and interviews always talking about how awesome the Empire/Sith are.

Now you see the result.

Did we learn nothing from Warhammer? You need at least THREE sides to any conflict for an MMO.

This is a problem across nearly every single server, which means the problem is one of game design. I know i switched to Imperial because the story was better, the gear was better looking, the abilities were better looking, and the population was healthier. The reasons people are picking Imperial over Republics are still there.

So you picked the Empire for your reasons right, so why are you mad that other people, matter fact more people picked Empire their reasons, and now when you PvP the Republic isn't geared, and the competition is lame cause of all the Imps?

Again, it's people that choose what they want to play, if people think there is a unbalance do something about it.

Bioware is not going to come in and say to the Empire,

"As of today no one can roll on the Empire till we have a 50% increase in Republic. Sorry we had to do this cause you the custumer wanted to play what you payed for, but in the grand scheme of things there is a unbalance, so instead of you fixing the problem, we will"

Is that what you want Bioware to do? ^

Is that the dream alot of you are having?

Is Bioware stoping people from making chooses?

The game has only been released a month, so now is the time to fix it. Your solution is to wait it out and things will magically get better? What if it doesn't in 6 months and it's worst? NOW is the time to fix it.

So fix it.

Do you have a solution?

I mean they could cap factions on servers right, then what?

I am sorry to tell all of you this, but people will play on the faction they want to play. If people want a balance they will have to find a way to make themselves happy.

Bottom line it's up to us, Bioware won't and don't need to do anything.

Edited by Caeliux

Most people picked sides without ever playing the game so it is invalid to blame developer bias

Most people picked sides after seeing the darkside hype and drooling and getting a rock hard ***** for the sith and trying darkside in beta and/or beta weekend thus getting over the learning curve before launch and seeing how all their ****** pvp friends were going darkside.

Edited by Tirithius

Hate to burst the big bubble here guys, but the game is not a PvP driven game. It is a storyline driven MMO with a PvP afterthought. Figured you people would have read up on that somewhere.

Bioware implemented Warzones, PvP Gear, and Open World.

That to me is called a mmo with PvP.

People want their cake and eat it too, funny thing is all the nerf this, and we are unsubing is over PvP.

I never see threads like,

"Your flash points suck, we are leaving the game"

PVE never gets this problem, it the PvPer's that cause this ruckus.

Funny huh.

@OP-

I rolled Republic from the start, because I *knew* the factions would be woefully imbalanced toward Imperial. As a side note, I rolled an alt on the Imperial side for the heck of it, and the general chat was frigging awful, 3 minutes of that and I shut it off. But I digress, the problems I'm seeing on my server include, but aren't limited to, these:

1. Pretty much nobody runs high level FPs, I could literally spend all day spamming LFG ( I've done maybe 4 FPs across 4 characters, all low and mid-level). I skipped almost all heroic quests while leveling due to lack of people to do them with. This is on a server with a Heavy Pop.

2. The offerings on the AH are slim to none, making rounding out gearsets, modding gear, crafting etc even more difficult ( which in turn makes running FPs etc more difficult).

3. PVP consists of randomly geared Reps playing Imps in mostly Champ/BM gear ( genius idea to allow a faction to gear itself by playing itself, that's not going to cause gear imbalance at all!). Ilum is a zergfest, enough said.

Because of those and many other problems, who in their right mind would want to roll Republic? You get to 50, and there is literally nothing to do but Warzones. Warzones in which you face a vastly better geared opponent ( made worse by these new Ilum changes). You tell someone that they get to look like a dork pretty much their entire leveling experience, that they get consistently rolled in PVP, and can't experience almost all the PVE content and spend most of the game alone, if they roll Republic. I'd like to see what the response would be to that.

Before you go into a "make friends/join a guild" tirade again, I'm in a guild. I'm one of 3 50s at the moment, the rest being mostly 25-40. Other guilds have 50s, sure, and they tend to stick with their own ( it being a small community here). There just isn't enough people around to foster a healthy MMO environment. For good reason,too. I've effectively "beat" the game, since I'm not leveling an alt to 50 to see 1 hour's worth of cutscenes, and I won't be able to do anything with said alt at 50 anyways.

I've decided to let my sub expire, it's just not worth my money, time or aggravation to continue playing. Maybe in a few months I'll check back in and see how things are going. Currently, I don't have much hope.

Taste for look is different for everyone, I actually like both factions, and love all the storys.

I do think Bioware did well with the looks, and if people think Sith is cooler then by all means it's a fashion choose.

I can't sit here and say that is reason for unbalances cause of looks, cause that would not be true in the large scale of things.

Then you my friend are the minority on that issue. And if you think people aren't shallow enjoy to pick a class based on cosmetics.....

@OP-

I rolled Republic from the start, because I *knew* the factions would be woefully imbalanced toward Imperial. As a side note, I rolled an alt on the Imperial side for the heck of it, and the general chat was frigging awful, 3 minutes of that and I shut it off. But I digress, the problems I'm seeing on my server include, but aren't limited to, these:

1. Pretty much nobody runs high level FPs, I could literally spend all day spamming LFG ( I've done maybe 4 FPs across 4 characters, all low and mid-level). I skipped almost all heroic quests while leveling due to lack of people to do them with. This is on a server with a Heavy Pop.

2. The offerings on the AH are slim to none, making rounding out gearsets, modding gear, crafting etc even more difficult ( which in turn makes running FPs etc more difficult).

3. PVP consists of randomly geared Reps playing Imps in mostly Champ/BM gear ( genius idea to allow a faction to gear itself by playing itself, that's not going to cause gear imbalance at all!). Ilum is a zergfest, enough said.

Because of those and many other problems, who in their right mind would want to roll Republic? You get to 50, and there is literally nothing to do but Warzones. Warzones in which you face a vastly better geared opponent ( made worse by these new Ilum changes). You tell someone that they get to look like a dork pretty much their entire leveling experience, that they get consistently rolled in PVP, and can't experience almost all the PVE content and spend most of the game alone, if they roll Republic. I'd like to see what the response would be to that.

Before you go into a "make friends/join a guild" tirade again, I'm in a guild. I'm one of 3 50s at the moment, the rest being mostly 25-40. Other guilds have 50s, sure, and they tend to stick with their own ( it being a small community here). There just isn't enough people around to foster a healthy MMO environment. For good reason,too. I've effectively "beat" the game, since I'm not leveling an alt to 50 to see 1 hour's worth of cutscenes, and I won't be able to do anything with said alt at 50 anyways.

I've decided to let my sub expire, it's just not worth my money, time or aggravation to continue playing. Maybe in a few months I'll check back in and see how things are going. Currently, I don't have much hope.

Nice post, and see some points there. In the end if you quit SWTOR the first month or two when it was just launched, then you wasted your time, and Bioware's time.

Sometimes people need to be put in check, need to take a step back, and relax.

Truth is atm, people will decide what they want to play, and I respect that.

Good luck mate.

Somewhere. In the deep dark depths of another Universe. This same topic is here only with the Imperials crying about the population imbalance. And there's a third faction. And less voice overs

It sounds pretty good. But alas I cannot prove it.

I like the part where he said:

"Reap what you soul".

People are really uneducated.

Indeed. Thanks for using yourself as an example. Did you know there's an entire world out there that (gasp) does not speak English as their first language? I'm willing to bet that you are from the US like I am. Can you fluently speak another language? Of course not. You couldn't even read the thread to see multiple times where they pointed that out to more than a few simpletons. I guess your desire to post something cool on a small time internet message board got the better of you? Getting tired of my fellow countrymen looking like third world country peasants to the rest of the world.

Rofl.

BioWare could have easily fixed this issue. EASILY.

1.) They could have made the animations for Jedi = LESS BALLS. They could have added more glow to it similar to the Inquisitor to attract all the people who are easily distracted by lights. This way people don't think they look "lame".

2.) They could have made the armor for Republic classes less balls. The Imps get some of the coolest looking gear ever... and the Republic gets robo-Samurai....

3.) Added an auto-balance system. This could be: increases XP, credits, valor gained and encourage population of lesser sides.

Since Bioware can't bother with actually fixing anything (Trooper animation bugs are STILL FAIL), I can't bother to pay them. Later.

When your decided to pick Empire or Republic, that was your call not Bioware's.

Republic is mad cause people wanted to play Empire, who cares.

As of today though I am making a Republic toon to try to help the odds somewhat on a server.

Bioware is not going to save you when it's your choose to pick factions, that decision is up to us.

Stop posting vids like this

All that shows is a cry for attention, and makes people look weak.

Welcome to open world pvp everyone, reap what you sow.

Also Illum is laggy I agree, with time it will be fixed alot better, for god sakes game is few months old and now we are able to see level 50's in action.

Takes time to work out the bugs and lag problems, no game is perfect first few months of launch, no game ever has been.

Stop crying and fix your own problems.

I understand your reasoning and i honor your step to make a republic tune. But your statement doesn't really add up. The fact is if nothing changes all the republic will quit or join the imp, at that point PvP wouldn't exist, and TBH pve isn't the greatest for this game. The game will slowly die and be another game in the sewers like warhammer. This is speaking if nothing changes that is.

I understand your reasoning and i honor your step to make a republic tune. But your statement doesn't really add up. The fact is if nothing changes all the republic will quit or join the imp, at that point PvP wouldn't exist, and TBH pve isn't the greatest for this game. The game will slowly die and be another game in the sewers like warhammer. This is speaking if nothing changes that is.

Game was released Dec 2Oth, It's Jan 18, 29 days, and game has alot of content and things coming for future.

If people quit over bugs, mistakes, and some glitches, then they don't understand that mmo's have problems at launch, and things work out with time.

This generation of gamers want instant gratification, don't want to give a game a chance, want to critic every ounce of a game, want everything perfect, and want it as fast as you can give them.

There is huge differences between gamers like me that has been doing this since EQ, and the gamers that have been playing games like Aion, Rift, and Warcraft, and it's wide and far from reach when it comes to train of thought.

Warcraft was a utter disaster not just launch, even after. All the bugs, patches, and unbalances of classes was unheard of. Then it get fixed and Vanilla Warcraft became amazing.

Then TBC {The Burning Crusade} Warcraft came, and for the first 30 days, it was almost was unplayable. Classes sucked, game was bugged, and PvP yet again was unbalanced.

Then it got fixed, and game started to have Open World PvP in Nagrand. Then people figured out that Horde ruled 90% of all servers.

Game survived all of that, and still does even people knowing the game has the worst unbalance in PvP ever in the history of MMOS.

This is just examples of a mmo that has had issues at launch, survived years, and still people sub.

Wanna know why people are this way with SWTOR?

Because they know Blizzard and all these other games fell short, and wanted SWTOR to be the knight in shining armor.

Guess what, SWTOR is unperfect just like the rest, and I can deal with it.

Question is can people really see the big picture.

Edited by Caeliux

Game was released Dec 2Oth, It's Jan 18, 29 days, and game has alot of content and things coming for future.

If people quit over bugs, mistakes, and some glitches, then they don't understand that mmo's have problems at launch, and things work out with time.

This generation of gamers want instant gratification, don't want to give a game a chance, want to critic every ounce of a game, want everything perfect, and want it as fast as you can give them.

There is huge differences between gamers like me that has been doing this since EQ, and the gamers that have been playing games like Aion, Rift, and Warcraft, and it's wide and far from reach when it comes to train of thought.

Warcraft was a utter disaster not just launch, even after. All the bugs, patches, and unbalances of classes was unheard of. Then it get fixed and Vanilla Warcraft became amazing.

Then TBC {The Burning Crusade} Warcraft came, and for the first 30 days, it was almost was unplayable. Classes sucked, game was bugged, and PvP yet again was unbalanced.

Then it got fixed, and game started to have Open World PvP in Nagrand. Then people figured out that Horde ruled 90% of all servers.

Game survived all of that, and still does even people knowing the game has the worst unbalance in PvP ever in the history of MMOS.

This is just examples of a mmo that has had issues at launch, survived years, and still people sub.

Wanna know why people are this way with SWTOR?

Because they know Blizzard and all these other games fell short, and wanted SWTOR to be the knight in shining armor.

Guess what, SWTOR is unperfect just like the rest, and I can deal with it.

Question is can people really see the big picture.

some one didn't read my last sentence. AT ALL?