Cauterize, why is damage so low?

Ripebear

Just having a look at my ability damage right now.

Why on earth does Cauterize do less damage than a single slash?

They cost the same focus?!?

Does this mean Cauterize is out of the rotation? Does this effect watchman as a whole?

I know It's a DoT but the overall damage after the DoT wears off is stil less than a slash.

What is going on? Never noticed it before.

For comparisons sake post exactly what your damage on Cauterize and Slash is, completely unbuffed.

Cauterize - 470-562 Base damage, DoT - 601

Slash - 1201-1436

I'm I completely missing something here?

Edited by Ripebear

Does this mean Cauterize is out of the rotation? Does this effect watchman as a whole?

I know It's a DoT but the overall damage after the DoT wears off is stil less than a slash.

what level are you, im watchman and my cauterize ticks for 750 and crits for 1400+ per tick

I always figured that cauterize was basically only for watchman to use. Since the watchman tree has skills that make the dot crit more often, dots crit for more dmg, dot deal more dmg, heal the player when the dot crits, and a skill that makes the direct damage portion of cauterize hit 30% harder. Edited by GrimMage

I always figured that cauterize was basically only for watchman to use. Since the watchman tree has skills that make the dot crit more often, dots crit for more dmg, dot deal more dmg, heal the player when the dot crits, and a skill that makes the direct damage portion of cauterize hit 30% harder.

I am watchman and have all the good talents for it. :(

that's 10% of someones health (on average) by 1 move...... that is not channeled.....seems decent to me.... then you add zen to it and your golden

Still seems quite weak overall. It needs a buff I think.

Guy at start saying his ticks for 1400 is a troll as well.

Edited by Ripebear

yea i guess my 12% bonus damage from expertise, surge adrenal, power relic must be trolling.....then you can ask the people who i cauterize at 70% HP and then pop zen and statis / dispatch. i mean killing someone from 70% in 3 seconds is terrible damage

No, he's not a troll. He's confusing Cauterize with OS.

Based on the numbers you have given, a generous skewing in favor for Slash for mainhand vs. offhand damage (75% MH , 25% OH), 25% crit, 80% on Surge, ignoring armor mitigation,

Cauterize outperforms Slash by 2%. At 20% mitigation, it outperforms Slash by 18%. At 30% mitigaiton, it outperforms Slash by 29%. At 35% mitigation, it outperforms Slash by 36%. At 40% mitigaiont, it outperforms Slash by 44%.

For comparisons sake post exactly what your damage on Cauterize and Slash is, completely unbuffed.

Cauterize - 470-562 Base damage, DoT - 601

Slash - 1201-1436

I'm I completely missing something here?

2 focus cost base. vs slashs 3 then +1. Thats still not quite the same.

Dot breaks stealth.

Dot uses force power for damage value, and deals internal damage, thus not mitigated by armor. (Force attacks deal more damage as they gain from both str and will, even if the will is a small amount. your base will +datacrons give force attacks innately 1% more crit then melee)

More specific issues require questions of exactly what talents you have. are you watchman or focus? both have +30% surge on cauterize. (totally a possible build getting both for +60% free surge on burns) Do you have atchman +damage and crit on burns? generally, you'll get the 6% insight talent.

Cauterize for combat has little use. only use it for breaking stealth.

It is decent for focus, given the surge factor.

yea i guess my 12% bonus damage from expertise, surge adrenal, power relic must be trolling.....then you can ask the people who i cauterize at 70% HP and then pop zen and statis / dispatch. i mean killing someone from 70% in 3 seconds is terrible damage

Killing level 12-15s is serious business. You aren't killing anyone in 3 seconds with that skill. I don't care what buffs you pop and what temps you use. You are fail, and your troll attempt is fail.

Edited by Qilz

well if your 12% expertise, and power relic/surge adrenal is increasing your cauterize damage by 300% then you should /bug that.

you are ignoring the increased crit chance, the increased crit damage, the heals and the focus generation from your burns.... That seems like a whole lot of good things to me and makes it way better then slash (the increased crit% and crit damage make it math out to do more damage then slash base im pretty sure too, then you have those other two bonuses on top of that...).

Cauturized talented is much better then slash. I dont know exact figures but i know for sure it does more damage with the dot then slash AND it slows the target so you dont have to use ****** leg slash aswell. All watchmen should use cauterize everytime its cd is up, end of story.

**And to back up the guy saying the dot sometimes crits for 1400, YES it does when you pop consumables and expertise pots.