James Ohlen quote

Chocobar

This argument holds no water. If TOR hopes to be successful or competitive to other titles then they must offer an experience that is comparable to those other titles. Besides, TOR has been in development for years and I would venture to say that their budget could be compared to WoW's.

They should be held accountable to 2012 industry standards because this *is* 2012. Not 2004. Or 2003. Or whatever time you think we should hold TOR to.

Your nuts if you think Blizzards over all expense for WoW is comparable to SWTOR. Seriously, WoW was in development for years as well. It had a great initial cost and has invested hundreds, if not billions, of dollars since then.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd you still dont get it do you? Every thread? Holly hell.

No, the engine has to get the textures per player, high res. It has to load them from HDD. Not rocket science. Therefore the higher player count the more the engine has to get textures which decreases the game. EVERY engine and I mean EVERY one has a limit on how many textures are used at a given time.

Seems like UO players know nothing?

Yet no other MMO has Ultra or High disabled hmmmmmmm, why is that I wonder.

Edited by Gunryu

I don't get your point? He was stating that WoW is developed a greater product for less money. Which is not correct in my opinion. WoW Vanilla was bad, every bit as buggy, end game was a wreck during. Guess what they charged; $15. It's industry standard.

It's a pretty fail logic to compare a game that has probably invested billions at that point to a game that invest 100-300 million.

You don't seem to understand. We don't care how WoW was at release. We are comparing the games now because it's what counts.

Your nuts if you think Blizzards over all expense for WoW is comparable to SWTOR. Seriously, WoW was in development for years as well. It had a great initial cost and has invested hundreds, if not billions, of dollars since then.

Your assertion that WoW has had billions poured into it is ridiculous.

And as another poster pointed out, Rift has done better with less money and less time.

So what's your excuse now?

I still like the game but playing in beta and up to today my overall impression is the majority of the budget was spent on voice actors to the point of not being able to even afford server forums or server forum moderators.(Yes im aware they are now putting them in soon)

What i dont think bioware realizes is you dont get chances for 2nd impressions. Sadly from what ive read on a lot of mmo sites is the majority of people think this is wow and that the core pvp is lvl 50's fighting lvl 10-20's. Why they didnt put the brackets in sooner for warzones is beyond me.

Yet no other MMO has Ultra or High disabled hmmmmmmm.

Id hate to meet you in real life, seem like you are really, really, really annoying. I have provided my point, I am not responding to your posts anymore because you just ignore the facts.

Yeah Bioware is lying to us. Lets just go with that.

Brick wall I tell ya, brick wall... and its a thick wall too.

Edited by darthdoll

Rift has more going for it than this game, it had less money than SWTOR, and didn't spend nearly as much time in development as this game.

That's a matter of opinion. Which you are entitled to. Personally I played rift when it came out. I hated the class "ingenuity" because there was still really only one true way to be competitive. The random rifts were annoying. The bugs were crazy and it was WoW in new colors. Guess what, I unsubscribed and I forgot about it. Healthy adults do that.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand you don't think that has to do with the engine?

I loled at the spoiler.

Gee, I wonder why they had issues with full resolution textures even on powerful PCs? Oh, I know. Because the crap that is Hero engine cannot properly use the GPU and use available video memory. Instead it keeps all texture data except what's being already sent to the frame buffer in your normal memory (RAM).

In addition to that, the entire game loop is single threaded :D

I never saw a game, not even the most modern ones, suck up 2GB of RAM in one process and then additional 1GB in second process, whose sole purpose is to minic multi-threading.

All while my GPU is sitting with 3GB free video memory for use by textures and only 4-5% of that is used.

It's just funny coming from a game company ...

I still like the game but playing in beta and up to today my overall impression is the majority of the budget was spent on voice actors to the point of not being able to even afford server forums or server forum moderators.(Yes im aware they are now putting them in soon)

What i dont think bioware realizes is you dont get chances for 2nd impressions. Sadly from what ive read on a lot of mmo sites is the majority of people think this is wow and that the core pvp is lvl 50's fighting lvl 10-20's. Why they didnt put the brackets in sooner for warzones is beyond me.

Not to mention people like me who went on other games I play and Facebook and told people not to bother playing this game for at least 6 months to a year if it is still around.

Vivendi said years ago that the initial development cost for WOW was $63 million. There are also reports that seem to point at approx $4 mill a month in upkeep costs as well. Not sure about expansions. Billions? lol no. A lot of money? Oh yeah.

I loled at the spoiler.

Gee, I wonder why they had issues with full resolution textures even on powerful PCs? Oh, I know. Because the crap that is Hero engine cannot properly use the GPU and use available video memory. Instead it keeps all texture data except what's being already sent to the frame buffer in your normal memory (RAM).

In addition to that, the entire game loop is single threaded :D

I never saw a game, not even the most modern ones, suck up 2GB of RAM in one process and then additional 1GB in second process, whose sole purpose is to minic multi-threading.

All while my GPU is sitting with 3GB free video memory for use by textures and only 4-5% of that is used.

It's just funny coming from a game company ...

Yet he calls me the idiot and brick wall.

And as another poster pointed out, Rift has done better with less money and less time.

Rift is in the toilet compared to WoW and TOR. Not nearly as many players as they had at launch.

Get what you pay for I guess.

Your expectations are ridiculous and nothing will ever add up to WoW. Sorry expectations like this will never be realized.

Rift lived up to mine, other than that crappy back story.

- Amazing Graphics? Yep

- Good combat? Yep

- Good customer service? Big time

- Fixed bugs when they were known? Got ya covered there too

- Open world? Oh yeah

- High res graphics? Yes sir

- AA without having to be modified in the ini file? Yep

Guess what this game doesn't have? All of that! But hey at least they got voice acting.

Your assertion that WoW has had billions poured into it is ridiculous.

Really? That's opinion..and false imo. Aren't they down to one heavy server now?

Edited by Symptomatic

Rift lived up to mine, other than that crappy back story.

- Amazing Graphics? Yep

- Good combat? Yep

- Good customer service? Big time

- Fixed bugs when they were known? Got ya covered there too

- Open world? Oh yeah

- High res graphics? Yes sir

- AA without having to be modified in the ini file? Yep

Guess what this game doesn't have? All of that! But hey at least they got voice acting.

So you did not want WoW SW , you wanted Rift SW ... now got better.

Really i admit this game has flaws , that does not mean it is not a bad game for lots of people , if you dont like it , move along go find yourself another one to play , it is not like we lack MMOs now days.

Vivendi said years ago that the initial development cost for WOW was $63 million. There are also reports that seem to point at approx $4 mill a month in upkeep costs as well. Not sure about expansions. Billions? lol no. A lot of money? Oh yeah.

I'll believe the initial value but the $4 million is absolute nonsense. Server upkeep, marketing, equipment upgrades, staff salary, building upkeep, taxes, etc. I find it hard to believe it's less than 4 million.

I'll believe the initial value but the $4 million is absolute nonsense. Server upkeep, marketing, equipment upgrades, staff salary, building upkeep, taxes, etc. I find it hard to believe it's less than 4 million.

It's easy to save on money when you don't blow it all on voice acting.

$48 million a yr doesn't sound like chicken feed to me. /shrug