Alatricity Vs Power Vs Surge - etc

JediDG

I've read some solid arguments against Alacrity in this thread and I think you have me convinced that Alacrity probably isn't worth it. However, I'm still sticking with my assertion that Power > Crit/Surge for healers. IMO, a steady stream of medium heals is better than erratic healing. DPS is a different story. I'm 100% for Crit and Surge for DPS specs. They just leaves too much to chance for healers.

The argument against alacrity tends to be that it makes you force-ineffiicent, which is not really a good argument.

Let me put this in other terms.

Assume I have a skill I will spam that does 3000 point heal and costs 30 force with a 2 second cast time. That gives me a healing ability of 100 health per point of force. As long as I have force, I can heal 1500 points per second.

With this hypothetical build, I also regenerate 14 force per second. This means I can heal 1400 points per second non-stop. After a 5 minute battle I can heal 420K damage total.

After the long battle I get a choice of upgrades. One will let me cast my heal for 3300 points. One will let me cast it in 1.8 seconds.

With the faster cast I can heal 1666 points per second as long as I have force. This is more than I could heal before. But I am still healing at a rate of 100 health per point of force. I can heal faster, but I can not heal more. Plus, I am still limited to 14 mana per second regeneration rate. If my heal per force point does not increase and my rate of force recovery does not increase the long term rate does not increase. So after 5 minute battle I can heal 420K damage.

On the other hand, if I took the upgrade that let me heal for 3300 per cast, that would change my heal per force point to 110. I can now heal for 1540 health per second (14 force per second * 110 health per point of force) for the entire length of the fight. After 5 minutes I have healed 462K damage.

Unless I am totally mistaken, Alacrity does not affect force power regeneration. With the game mechanics now, that it where the bottelkneck lies. We run out of force. If we can not improve our force per second return, the only way to improve heals per second is to improve heals per pont of force power.

If you are doing short, fast healing fights then Alacrity is you friend. Otherwise, it is not being used and is taking up a slot another, better suited stat could take.

I understand your reasoning but your approach is purely theoretical. If you just look at numbers and make the assumption that you are casting everything nonstop and do not use Consumption/Noble sacrifice at all, then you are correct, you will run out of force quickly with higher alacrity.

However, in most fights, you will never really run low on force if you keep up with proper consumption/Nobel sacrifice usage. Force pool isn't an issue anymore, but rather how quickly you can top your party/ops member off as a split second difference can sometimes make a life and death decision.

Also, since alacrity will be reducing your casting time for the channeled HoT that grants you a free consumption/Noble sacrifice (it is called Innervate on the Sith side). You will able to cast more of these channeled HoTs in a fixed time period and thereby able to proc more free consumptions/nobel sacrifice to regenerate your force in a given timer period.

Lastly, the quicker you can top someone off , the more "break" you get before they get damaged again. This give you a buffer and time to regen force if needed.

This is my reasoning against the argument that alacrity is useless because it is force-inefficient. That argument looks solid in paper but in practical settings it doesn't really come into play.

This does not mean you should stack crazy for alacrity either. Alacrity have one of the worst diminishing returns and those points are better spent elsewhere for higher returns.

How the *&^% do you have a 52% crit and 129% surge rating????? That's insane I thought 40% crit would be where you could top out with current gear.

Im only on T2 and a little t3gear, craft my own purple enchaments, purple mods. Possible to get it much higher.

You need to figure animation time into alc calculations, which is why its useless for sages healing spells on the whole.

I still stand by Power - Crit - surge being best with current gear, certainly good enough to be a main tank healer in the raids we currently have ;)

Edited by NirvyCN

A healer with crit and surge. you do know that dps stats right and surge is suppose to help you in pvp if you got no pvp gear.

You don't understand game mechanics. They apply to heals too, and because you get a lot of procs based on crit as both a pure Seer and a Seer/TK hybrid, that everything you do gets better with more crit, and because you have the crit, Surge becomes better and better by proxy.

Also, since alacrity will be reducing your casting time for the channeled HoT that grants you a free consumption/Noble sacrifice (it is called Innervate on the Sith side). You will able to cast more of these channeled HoTs in a fixed time period and thereby able to proc more free consumptions/nobel sacrifice to regenerate your force in a given timer period.

Cooldown says 'sup'. You'll still cast the same number of Innervates/Trances in the same amount of time because Alacrity doesn't affect its cooldown.

Edited by Onager