If lightsabers are weightless weapons why does Obi-wan look so exhausted

chrisftw

Maybe I should just stop coming onto the forums... it seems like everyone just wants to argue about nothing rather than have a philosophical debate and pit their wits against someone.

Nobody even responded to the philosophical interpretation of lightsaber dueling that I listed :(

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apart from the vicious battle to get tired from, I'm pretty sure lightsabers aren't (near) weightless. In an episode of Clone Wars I recall Anakin giving his saber to Padmé, who comments: "Wow, that's heavier than I expected."

Thats what she said! :eek:

Because your arms, and legs, and entire body, are not weightless. I'm sure the lightsaber weighs something, but since the blade had no weight (its just light) it would be only as light as the hilt.

That said, you still need to jump around and run and swing. Go do that with empty hands for a while, and see if you get tired.

Also, strength is a stat because if a lightsaber comes in contact with something there's still the potential for resistance (usually another saber). The users strength then comes into play on how much force he can apply to that resistance.

In the Last fight scene of episode 3 obi-wan looks pretty spent after the rather lenghty lightsaber fight with Anikin.

since lightsabers are weightless i'm not really understanding how he ran out of stamina towards the end there.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBo_oMGnFiU&feature=related

link for source material.

^ This kid has never worked out a day in his life.