Top damage watchmen spec?

Ripebear

I like watchmen and I feel it's probably best for single target fights.

Question is, what is best spec for HM's/OPs?

I will make up one I think is best but I don't know a good site to do it?

This thread is to discuss what is best options for watchmen spec!?

Edited by Ripebear

This is the spec I came up with, it gives all the top damage talents but also gives some movability with force leap.

had to waste some points getting to top of tree so I chose the healing to help the healers in party, could be especially nicer in HM's.

Anyone with anything better? Or another spec they think will do a lot better? We can only speculate right now with no combat log but I like to do what I can.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bIbRrorcGzZhZG00M.1

Cheers . Yeah it seems alright for the moment, the force leap may actually improve dps, even if very slightly. Keen to find out about anyone else trying other specs, see what they think of them.

I actually just missed something completely, one of the abilities reducing the cooldown of force kick by 2 seconds. This could be useful on some fights depending on the situation, something to keep in mind for utility!

Edited by Ripebear

Here is the spec I'm currently running:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bIbRr****zZhGM.1

The two points in Force Fade are filler, but Force Camo giving you four seconds of damage immunity is very nice for encounters where there is some unavoidable damage. You could put the two points into Watchguard as well but I haven't found too many instances where I'm having to interupt often enough to where I need the CD reduced by two seconds.

Two points in Defensive Roll is a must for hard modes where there are lots of AOE damage you can't avoid and every little bit of mitigation means a little bit your healer won't have to heal.

The question is: three points in Steadfast or Insight? If Insight affects our dots then I could see it being better but I always like trying to cap Accuracy first so you never have to worry about missing. We crit often enough anyway as Watchman.

EDIT: Okay the URL is messing up and it won't show the entire tree but it's supposed to be a 31/10 build

Edited by FobManX

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bIbRr****zZhGM.1

The two points in Force Fade are filler, but Force Camo giving you four seconds of damage immunity is very nice for encounters where there is some unavoidable damage. You could put the two points into Watchguard as well but I haven't found too many instances where I'm having to interupt often enough to where I need the CD reduced by two seconds.

Two points in Defensive Roll is a must for hard modes where there are lots of AOE damage you can't avoid and every little bit of mitigation means a little bit your healer won't have to heal.

The question is: three points in Steadfast or Insight? If Insight affects our dots then I could see it being better but I always like trying to cap Accuracy first so you never have to worry about missing. We crit often enough anyway as Watchman.

EDIT: Okay the URL is messing up and it won't show the entire tree but it's supposed to be a 31/10 build

AFAIK Focused Resonance Affects our burns so I would imagine Insight does.

Not 100% on that though as I have not personally tested.

Yeah.. did the same to me, it's because the code for the tree features the letters o m f g, and the forum blocks that....

That said I'm rocking a build like This but with the point in focused persuit in Force Fade, but that's what cause the o m f g in the URL, so I moved it.

This is the spec I came up with, it gives all the top damage talents but also gives some movability with force leap.

had to waste some points getting to top of tree so I chose the healing to help the healers in party, could be especially nicer in HM's.

Anyone with anything better? Or another spec they think will do a lot better? We can only speculate right now with no combat log but I like to do what I can.

Well the choice would depend a lot on the goal. Your build is certainly not a high dps-build intended for hard modes or raids.

1. Focused pursuit over Force fade.

In any PvE-Situation the damage immunity is much more important than higher movement speed. This is the skill that allows you to solo champion class opponents and helps a lot with tough bosses

2. Swift slash & prerequisites

Once you get the Ultimate you will more or less stop using slash as a focus spender. Those points are effectively wasted. Plus, you have to waste 2 points on a master focus, which isnt too great. Steadfast might be a better choice to skill, although the combat tree lacks suitable alternatives in the first tier.

3. Watchguard.

When doing hard modes, skilling watchguard might be a good idea. Sentinels cant contribute much to a group except damage, so one of the few additional things we can do is interrupting. There are a lot of boss fights where this skill is quite crucial, so i'd advice skilling it.

http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/jedi_knight/sentinel/#::f2e2f4ef5ef6e5fe3fe4fe3f20 is what i'm running right now.

let me explain why:

not taking Insight because we don't use blade storm in our rotation, and all our burns are elemental damage so it doesn't really help.

not taking Master Focus because 3 seconds off master strike doesn't help as much for watchman as combat because as combat your target can't move out of it and in ops a lot of times you move around too much to use master strike every 27 seconds. stasis is a nice ability but i only use it soloing to keep targets from doing damage to me or my companions, and there are also movement constraints with the ability as well - although you could argue this over Steadfast because as watchman the only thing we really worry about missing is cauterize.

I chose Focused Leap because we already use force leap on CD and an extra focus is a nice addition - plus the other talents available in the Focus tree aren't as valuable to Watchman.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bIbRrRMcGzZzZGM0M.1

I pvp alot too, when im not raiding, so the spec above is what i usually run with, got enough accuracy to not need the 3%

But if your lacking in accuracy, i would prolly go with http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bIbRrRMcGzZhGZb.1

Its unfortunate that watchman is soo superior, combat playstyle is what i love, it just cant match the numbers of watchman though :/

ill toss ya the combat spec i run with that though, just in case

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bcZhGrbddMorsZG.1

Also, dont underestimate focus.

Edited by HollowVamp

AFAIK do the DoT's profit from insight. There is no Damage-Typ 'force'. As i understand it, all 'yellow' dmg abilities are considered to be force abilities. In that case, 2/3 insight > 2/2 focused leap.

In an Hardmode/Raid situation i think that 2/2 Defensive Forms > 2/2 Jedi crusader.

I dont understand why people does not train inflamation to get the 30% speed debuff even when is linked to your main skill to dot up the target..

The debuff is pointless in PvE. Since SWTOR is (obviously) not primarily desigend as a PvP game, for most of the players that skill is just a waste of skillpoints.

Well the choice would depend a lot on the goal. Your build is certainly not a high dps-build intended for hard modes or raids.

1. Focused pursuit over Force fade.

In any PvE-Situation the damage immunity is much more important than higher movement speed. This is the skill that allows you to solo champion class opponents and helps a lot with tough bosses

2. Swift slash & prerequisites

Once you get the Ultimate you will more or less stop using slash as a focus spender. Those points are effectively wasted. Plus, you have to waste 2 points on a master focus, which isnt too great. Steadfast might be a better choice to skill, although the combat tree lacks suitable alternatives in the first tier.

3. Watchguard.

When doing hard modes, skilling watchguard might be a good idea. Sentinels cant contribute much to a group except damage, so one of the few additional things we can do is interrupting. There are a lot of boss fights where this skill is quite crucial, so i'd advice skilling it.

I agree 1 may be a valid point. But the main reason I agree isn't your reason, it's because you will never waste 30 stacks of centering on it.

I disagree with point 2, I still use slash a lot and I'm using everything pretty much when it's available.

Watchguard is fight dependant, but usually if needed 2 stunners will be allocated. So situational.

I have to say, I would probably never go into a hard mode without a 6 second kick. The... 1% (if that) dps gain from 3/3 Dual-Wield Master isn't worth it. I save my healers so much healing by kicking almost every nasty ability done by the guy I'm on. Working with a tank, we can insure not a single ability gets off that isn't uninterruptable.

This is my spec. We waste Hard Modes.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bIbRrRrcGzZRG.1

"But McVade, Jedi Crusader and Defensive Forms don't add DPS!"

But until you get about 105% accuracy unbuffed, Steadfast adds 3% DPS and you can't do better with your off points. Also, these abilities are amazing in PvP... an added bonus.

The debuff is pointless in PvE. Since SWTOR is (obviously) not primarily desigend as a PvP game, for most of the players that skill is just a waste of skillpoints.

The debuff is conditional at best in PvP, I think. I don't want a 30% snare that lasts 6 seconds on a 15 second cooldown. I'll settle for the 50% snare that lasts 12 seconds without a cooldown and eat the 2 focus.

I guess there's times where you can rotate to your burst quicker without having to spend that focus, but it's rarely worth it, I feel. Certainly don't wanna lose anything to get it.

I dont understand why people does not train inflamation to get the 30% speed debuff even when is linked to your main skill to dot up the target..

Because we are talking about a pve build in this thread, and at any rate even for pvp you should depend on the stronger snare given by leg slash rather than the weaker given by inflammation.

The speed debuff is amazing since you reset cauterize so the target is debuffed all time , and you dont have to spend 2 extra focus , we cant waste our focus for free and if you need some special debuff for some situation you always have the other one ready , i have tested both and i cant play witout the debuff 30% , i run out of focus. Edited by Zaerion_H

Defensive Roll is a must have IMO. 30% reduced AOE damage taken is huge since pretty much every tough HM fight has some unavoidable AOE damage.

I love Force Fade, but I love Watchguard too. Honestly you can't go wrong with either, but I prefer Fade as an extra survivability tool gets the nod for me.