Correct Adrenal for sentinels?

BrombyZ

I go surge adrenal that i use at same time with my power relic. With watchmens zen ability guarenting 6 crits on burn effects surge is really effective and i highly recommend it. Stacking surge adrenal with surge relic is useless as you get bad deminishing returns around 95%.

crit and surge i believe does more than power

you should be hitting 'diminishing returns' with crit and surge from your gear. adrenals and relics should be used to increase power since it scales better

Stacking surge adrenal with surge relic is useless as you get bad deminishing returns around 95%.

from what i've read it's more like 75%. like it takes as much surge to get from 50-75 as it does to get from 75-85(these are just example numbers to give ppl a better understanding).

but my knowledge is only from reading what number crunchers say. im horrible at math and dont have the gear yet to really test the difference. but i do tend to trust these 'high profile' gamers(which is why i read and listen to them)

Edited by FourTwent

Depends on gear level.

as others have stated surge and crit have diminishing returns.

So when you are sitting on 400 crit, and 200 surge before trinkets/adrenal. That +575 adrenal is way less of a dps gain then it was at 100 crit, 50 surge.

so crit/surge relic is best. its like 250 crit and 250 surge iirc? Hitting both stats its scaling way better then all in one.

Then, yes. power adrenal when you have champion or better gear. If you DON'T have t2 or better, then surge adrenal or crit are still better.

Surge vs crit is a tough choice as well really.

After a lot of experimenting, I've come to the conclusion that Power is the only way to go for Adrenals. The one caveat to this might be if you have completely ignored Surge on your gear, which has diminishing returns that would make a grown man cry. Even then, I would almost recommend a Crit+Surge relic over a pure Surge adrenal.

With an old set of gear, I managed to get my Surge so high as to have literally popped the Rakata adrenal for +565 Surge and seen less than a 5% boost; a little Surge is good, a lot is a joke. For the record, 1200+ Surge still less than 100% dmg bonus, while half of that is good for around 95%.

Currently I am sitting at around 350 Surge unbuffed and am using Power adrenal with a Crit+Surge Relic. I've been tempted to go back to Power+Power, but... I donno... haven't. Maybe when I finally get that Mastercraft Endowment Entropic earpiece and can hit 400 Surge unbuffed.

Edited by Fascion

The problem with combat and focus spec is, that both specs already have a 100 % crit on their main attack ability (blade storm & force sweep).

Therefore we don't benefit from having a higher crit chance for that core abilities.

I have both relics, champion power and champion surge/crit and my crits are definately higher with the surge relic.

If surge would be a stat on its own on a relic (like 400 surge no crit) it would definately be the way to go for, but I think power is better overall as DPS boost.

The problem with combat and focus spec is, that both specs already have a 100 % crit on their main attack ability (blade storm & force sweep).

Therefore we don't benefit from having a higher crit chance for that core abilities.

I have both relics, champion power and champion surge/crit and my crits are definately higher with the surge relic.

If surge would be a stat on its own on a relic (like 400 surge no crit) it would definately be the way to go for, but I think power is better overall as DPS boost.

This is incorrect. 1 move is not "main attack" ability.

Popping a crit adrenal to buff crit chance of two bladerushs, and prec strike and all the ataru procs, will be a larger dps gain, then a surge, even with the 100% chance bladestorm. As, you are getting 30% free surge for bladerush and ataru.

(unless of course, you happen to be geared heavily for crit already, and thus have a good base crit chance)

Same with focus, 30% surge for bladestorm, crush and stasis. increasing crit % for those, is more damage then caring only about sweep.

As stated in my previous reply, I firmly believe that, at least comparing Power adrenals to Surge, it is all highly dependent on what your current stats are. If you have low or no Surge, a Surge adrenal will probably net you the biggest bang for the buck. If you, as I, stack Surge on your regular equipment, avoid Surge adrenals at all cost.

Bear with me here. I'm going to try to math the hell out of this, mostly for myself, but I figure I'd go ahead and post it. As a disclaimer, math has never been my strong suit, so feel free to correct any glaring or theoretically incorrect errors,

Assuming my base stats of 31% crit chance [510crit, 1479str] and 87.4% surge rating [341surge] ... and assuming a period of 9 GCDs per each adrenal use ...

Popping a Rataka power adrenal (+565 Power (130 bonus damage)) would be good for roughly 1170 damage before factoring in crits. With an average of 2.75 crits during this period, one could assume closer to 1482 damage solely based on that power adrenal.

(bonus damage from adrenal * number of GCDs) + (bonus damage from adrenal * crit chance * average number of crits over adrenal duration)

Now, instead of a power, let's look at the Rakata surge adrenal. With the aforementioned base stats, this adrenal would increase my crit damage bonus to 98.71% [906 surge] -- an increase of 11.32%. So again, figuring 9 GCDs, one should expect 2.75 crits while under the effect. For me and my base stats, my average crit while under the effect would need to be higher than 6545 if I were to crit twice, or 4364 if I were to crit three times.

(total damage from the first equation / number of crits expected) / .1132

Conclusion? For me and my equipment, as high as I have stacked Surge with it, the numbers I would need to crit for while under the effects of a surge adrenal are simply unrealistic to achieve. As such, power is the obvious choice. Your experience, based on your stats, may vary.

Obviously this whole thing becomes a hell of a lot more complicated once you start figuring in raid buffs and relics popped at the same time.

with almost full champ i sit at 72% crit multiplier, when i pop rakata sruge adrenal i jump to 97%. When stacking with expertise pots/buffs i dont see how anyone can say using power adrenals is better when sentinals have talents to guarentee crits. As i said earlier, surge adrenal +power relic is best. When those are on cooldown use your surge/crit relic. This is for PVP anyway, you want big crits.

with almost full champ i sit at 72% crit multiplier, when i pop rakata sruge adrenal i jump to 97%. When stacking with expertise pots/buffs i dont see how anyone can say using power adrenals is better when sentinals have talents to guarentee crits. As i said earlier, surge adrenal +power relic is best. When those are on cooldown use your surge/crit relic. This is for PVP anyway, you want big crits.
So you are sitting at about 140 Surge, unbuffed. Your Rakata adrenal bumbs that up by 25%.

Fun fact: if you removed all Surge from your gear... your Rakata adrenal would still get you to 94.5% crit dmg bonus, a gain of 45%. For all your surge gear, you only gain ~2.5% while under the effects of the adrenal. Try it. Take off all your gear and pop that pot. Then see my previous statement about Surge adrenals being highly dependent on your current gear setup. :p

I wasn't at all kidding when I said that I have popped my Rakata surge adrenal and seen less than a 5% boost.

But absolutely, in a PVP environment, that 25% surge bonus is probably going to play a bigger part than would the damage bonus from a power adrenal, because when there is potential for healing, spike is king. In PvE, then DPS maximization is the name of the game, a balanced approach to stats is going to net you a far larger gain overall.

Edited by Fascion

You are basically using your adrenal for a 25% damage boost based on a 30% chance to happen. I won't say you won't crit, but sometimes you just don't crit that much and your adrenal is wasted.

Power is a straight damage boost that will count towards all your attacks and also amplify your critical hits.

As been said, it's all about gear level anyway. Obviously the surge will be very powerful on someone with very low surge rating to begin with, but almost useless with already high rating.

Edited by RamzaBehoulve