8/8/25 The Crunchy Smaug dps build.

mandaboo

8/8/25 The Crunchy Smaug

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZMs0MZfhMrzGhM.1

Build motto: We kill people we don't guard them.

This build is designed to be as mobile as possible while using fewer skills for more kills.

Combustion gas cylinder is your weapon mod of choice.

Rail shots for spike damage and fire/explosives for constant pressure.

An extra root breaker comes standard

--------------------------

8/6/27 The Shielded Smaug

A more study alternative that sacrifices some utility for better root breaker/Energy Shield availability is here: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZMsZfhMrzGGM.1

As suggested by Athilias

Edited by mandaboo
added ability info

I'd take a point out of Rain of Fire and put it in Energy Rebounder. That will keep Energy shield up quite more often, that will improve your survivability, and keep you more mobile.

Your suggestion is viable.

In a 1 minute fight with constant damage you could early cut the CD of Energy Shield in half if you are very lucky making it a much more effective root breaker also.

I will add a more sturdy variant build using your suggestion but pulling the points from utility other than damage production.

The build design is damage and the tools are present to be effective at 30 meters, or 10 meters.

I do like the CD reduction on grapple, but it's loss will be more than offset by the increased survivability and rootbreak

Edited by mandaboo

A 9% increase to our primary stat is huge! Plus that 9% stacks with other % increases given by war zone and player buffs.

Until we have meters I will favor absolute known bonuses over situational bonuses, but your point is well taken.

I love Thermal! It scales with our level and does nasty spike damage, but the cost is not worth another button to push, and what I need to give up to get there.

Edited by mandaboo

9% increase in aim does not equate to 9% increase in damage as each ability is increased by a percentage of our ranged/tech damage bonus from aim.

Hot Iron increases the damage of one of your most used ability since FB has no cooldown.

Burnout increases tech crit, which only exclude 3 abilities; rail shot, rapid shot, and unload.

Thermal detonator just on in-game tooltips is 600 damage increase from explosive dart. You can consider TD an upgraded ED on single targets. Not to mention you can still use ED for aoe fights.

1. You say you want spike damage, but sacrifice TD which crits for well over 3k in standard champ gear, and can be timed to go off exactly as you get a 3k+ RS crit. This makes no sense to me.

2. You take Degauss in search of more mobility, but don't pair it with Energy Rebounder...

3. You sacrifice 3% tech crit chance, +30% DOT damage on enemies under 30% health (which affects the re-procs of CGC from FB and RS btw), and one of your best burst skills (TD), all for only 9% aim and a shorter CD on grapple. The shorter CD on Flamethrower doesn't count because a good Pyro never uses this skill in PvP. Nobody with an IQ above room temperature should consider this a fair trade.

I highly respect individuals such as yourself for searching out interesting hybrid builds. But all you did with this one was sacrifice some some vital components to a full-pyro build for comparatively terrible trade-offs. 3% less tech crit chance, 30% less DOT damage on enemies below 30% hp, and no thermal detonator is a MASSIVE loss of damage and burst-potential that is nowhere near made up for with 9% more aim and 10s less on grapple.

This build is just bad =/

Edited by Mhak