Loading Times A Comparison between Rift and SWToR

Dravinian

You say that, but not everyone thinks that it is "OK" to ram their head into the loading screen every time they go to a new planet, i find it very annoying, and i have a good computer that can handle it (or shoud, but since their coding seems slopy its the game itself)

I'm not saying anyone should accept the loading screens for their length. They do seem long, and I know they're annoying for some. They're less of an issue for me, but that might be because of how much less I play TOR now and how much more I constantly overlay other windowed games while I wait.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here. Got chewed out by the haters because I can load most places in about 15 seconds. Excuse me for spending money on quality hardware.

3 GHz quad, 6850 and SSD here. I think if you actually timed your loading times (in a place like Alderaan for example) you might be suprised that your 15 seconds is more like a minute and a half.

Having nice ram *and* a good hdd is the only way to go if you want to reduce loading times.

The game has to load resources from your hdd(this is what takes time) onto the ram.

I don't think this is true.

My HDD is 10,000 RPM, which is about 3,000 RPM faster than most, or about a 40% increase in speed.

Also 6gig of RAM is pretty much as much as you need, 8gig is the max i think anyway.

You're full of ****.

I just stop watched it and got it up in 8 seconds, but i had logged in before, let me reset completely and see what happens

My HDD is 10,000 RPM, which is about 3,000 RPM faster than most, or about a 40% increase in speed.

Also 6gig of RAM is pretty much as much as you need, 8gig is the max i think anyway.

They have mobos in the making that hold 128 gigs what you talking about

nope still 8.5 seconds

/e oh derp thats the fleet, let me load into ald or something

Edited by mcfabulous

3 GHz quad, 6850 and SSD here. I think if you actually timed your loading times (in a place like Alderaan for example) you might be suprised that your 15 seconds is more like a minute and a half.

i5 2500k gtx 560 ti. Log on to Nar Shadda 21 sec. Loaded Alderaan in 29. Any other places I should try cause I have NEVER had anywhere close to a one min load.

You can actually get 16 for a good price. Most games don't even use a full 4 though.

i5 2500k gtx 560 ti. Log on to Nar Shadda 21 sec. Loaded Alderaan in 29. Any other places I should try cause I have NEVER had anywhere close to a one min load.

Okay. Now do us a favor. Install Rift and compare load-times.

If they're 10-15 second load times, the OP still stands.

I just stop watched it and got it up in 8 seconds, but i had logged in before, let me reset completely and see what happens

They have mobos in the making that hold 128 gigs what you talking about

nope still 8.5 seconds

/e oh derp thats the fleet, let me load into ald or something

I am talking about the fact that Windows used to only recognise 4gig of RAM (I think), didn't matter if you had 128 gigs, windows only recognised so much....let me explain, if windows only recognises 4gig, it will only allocate resources for 4gig, didn't matter how much was there only 4gig would be used.

Been out of the loop for awhile haven't bothered to check the stats of Win7 but I expect there is a limit to what it will recognise and utilise.

Edited by Dravinian

I am talking about the fact that Windows used to only recognise 4gig of RAM (I think), didn't matter if you had 128 gigs, windows only recognised so much....let me explain, if windows only recognises 4gig, it will only allocate resources for 4gig, didn't matter how much was there only 4gig would be used.

Been out of the loop for awhile haven't bothered to check the stats of Win7 but I expect there is a limit to what it will recognise and utilise.

doesnt matter the OS its the bit

32 bit only goes up to like 3.375

64 bit is unlocked.

also rift took me 17 seconds for iron pine peak.

Just tested a few..

From char select to fleet: 14 sec

From Char creation (new toon): 18 sec

From ship to Alderaan: 52 sec

Sabertooth x58

I7-960

Corsair Dominator DHX 1600Mhz 24Gb

Corsair SSD Force GT 240Gb

Not too impressive load times imo, atleast not when you have to do like 50 an hour hehe :)

I'm sure I'll survive though.

I'd rather have 1 minutes load time and load a gorgeous world like SWTOR's than wait only 25 seconds and load a bland and uninspired one like RIFT's.

Someone's mad because his whole guild left for SWTOR.

Wait, what? Gorgeous world?

Are we playing the same game?

Sometimes it's 30 seconds, other times it's about 2 minutes.

/shurg, I alt tab and deal with it.

But I see similar things in WoW, so I'm good personally.

TOR seems to be a bit laggier but probably also more complexly (not necessarily a good thing) coded.

WoW load times are because of addons. If I remove all my addons I get 5 second load screens in WoW. I put all my addons on and I get like 30 seconds. SWTOR I get anywhere from 20 seconds to 2 minutes with no addons.

Okay.. so it would be okay if everything that I was going to see during my time on one planet loaded all at once. But no... we have loading screens literally in places that don't even load anything new. I've seen loading screens that load AFTER I've started running around in the area that I'm supposed to be loading. Loading screens upon loading screens---even when I alt-tab and come back into the game--I mean that wasn't even in the beta. :confused: Edited by Traumahawk

I did a comparison of the loading times for Rift and SWToR.

Computer specs i7 Quad Core 940 @ 2.93ghz, 6gig of Ram on a Win7 64 Bit with Dx11 and a GTX 460, with a 10mb connection.

I blew up my 295, I loved that card :(

Both on the same machine, literally one after another.

Started recording at the moment I hit the splash screen ended the moment I entered the game.

I think the video shows a marked difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Oxj-6n69uw

Cliffnotes.

Rift Load time 25 secs

SWTOR Load time: 1m 28 secs

Can this not be improved, drastically, because this isn't just the loading from the patcher, this is on every zone. The load times just seem really long all the time.

FYI "the players" who blindly defend this game are going to find a fault in this and insult you and tell you to go back to Rift.

Or they will just insult you. :D