Help me understand orange gear please

Fozziwig

Got a few questions about orange quality gear.

I have an orange quality lightsaber, and when I went to the PvP vendor on Fleet (I'm Empire), he had several orange lighsabers for sale that required higher level. When I moused over them, they showed mods in them, and the higher level items looked superior to mine. So, the questions:

-are there different levels of orange gear?

-similarly, should I be looking to occasionally exchange my orange gear?

-do they come with mods, or are those stats I saw with my mods?

-are all types of equipment (chest, legs, waist, etc) available in orange?

-are all types of equipment available in orange at all levels after 10? I'm level 19 and have only chest and saber, so I'm wondering what else I can get.

Thank you for the replies!

Got a few questions about orange quality gear.

I have an orange quality lightsaber, and when I went to the PvP vendor on Fleet (I'm Empire), he had several orange lighsabers for sale that required higher level. When I moused over them, they showed mods in them, and the higher level items looked superior to mine. So, the questions:

-are there different levels of orange gear?

-similarly, should I be looking to occasionally exchange my orange gear?

-do they come with mods, or are those stats I saw with my mods?

-are all types of equipment (chest, legs, waist, etc) available in orange?

-are all types of equipment available in orange at all levels after 10? I'm level 19 and have only chest and saber, so I'm wondering what else I can get.

Thank you for the replies!

All orange gear is the same as far as 'level' is concerned.

The mods you add to the gear determine the stats, including armor rating and damage rating. The Light/Medium/Heavy armor rating does matter as they modify the armor rating of the mod you put in.

The only reason you'd need to exchange the orange gear is if you want a different look

All armor slots and weapons are available. (relics, ears etc are not)

I dont know what level you can start seeing other parts drop but I'm pretty sure they exist fairly early on.

No. Orange gear has the exact same base stats. For instance, light armor orange has an armor rating of 7 regardless of it's name. However, when I add an armor plating mod to the plating slot, the armor rating jumps a significant amount. The other mods I place into the gear will add to the stat boosts. Mods can be switched out for higher level mods, which increases the gears stats and required level. Thus, a person can use the orange gear they get at the beginning of the game, all the way to end game as long as they keep updating the mods that are inside. The PvP gear you're looking at has high level mods already equipped, thus the higher stats and level requirement. Put the same mods into the orange gear you get in the early parts of the game, and it will have the same stats.

Ah! So I buy the higher level orange gear and I basically get better mods!

Can't I just buy the mods?

Yeah, the pre-inserted mods are great. You can even remove them and put them into whatever other orange gear you want (it costs a fee to remove mods).

Cool!

So where can I get more orange gear? I just got my ship but I only have the chest and saber. Is it quests, planetary commendations, PvP commendations?

Quests (usually class quests or planetary bonus series) is one way.

Another is Flashpoints

Also of course from Commendation vendors.

Quests (usually class quests or planetary bonus series) is one way.

Another is Flashpoints

Also of course from Commendation vendors.

I'm only seeing weapons at commendation vendors on dromund Kass, do they have them on higher level planets?

I'm only seeing weapons at commendation vendors on dromund Kass, do they have them on higher level planets?

They do. Some have pants, some have boots, some have head. Belts seem to only come as world drops (at least, I've never seen one as a craft, vendor, or reward). I've never seen a pair of orange wrists, but I imagine they have to exist. Probably another rare drop.

orange quality is the custom quality. these items are statless except for the few normal stuff. once two of these has nothing on them they're practically the same.

you can change it for superiour blue gear during your leveling. but you may consider keeping it until you get purple quality items (Artifact or if you played WoW... ''Epic''.), which are technically superiour to the blue quality. an average custom item is blue quality.

it is not always true however, you can get extremely good purple quality item modifications for your custom quality item that will make it superiour. however, DO consider that some artifact items will also have customization slots with default extremely good augments. this is the point where you can say goodbye to custom quality and definitly switch to purple. remember that if you putted some extremely good augmentations on your custom gear you want to put on your artifact customizable gear, you can pay a credit fee to remove them.

I have gotten Orange gear off of everything.... I have gotten them off of standard mobs, silver elite mobs, gold elite mobs, world bosses, Quest rewards, 2 and 4 man heroics, flashpoints, loot boxes that are lying around, normal vendors, comm vendors, and pvp vendors.

you can probably get them from other places but i cant remember all of them.