The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

How does your mobility actually work?

Jazzlok

I'm sorry if I appear ignorant, I've actually had the game for some time but I've spent so much time re-rolling classes I haven't actually managed to get much experience in the mid-to-late game.

My question is this; how do Powertechs become so mobile? I know they use a lot more instant cast abilities but I'm interested in what kind of gap closers they have. Unfortunately my knowledge on the subject is weak, and none of my friends really know anything about Powertechs either.

See, I've been re-rolling so much because I feel that I'm... missing something. I enjoyed Commando/Merc, but I felt a bit too static and not dynamic. I enjoyed my Operative, but I didn't feel it had enough melee abilities and I couldn't control fights too well (even looking through all the talents and abilities to level 50 I felt disappointed) - I also didn't like being in such close range yet feeling so small and squishy, like I didn't belong there. I really enjoyed Sniper/Gunslinger, but once again I felt quite static - I'm not saying that I don't enjoy long-range shooting but the class didn't flow as well as I'd like.

I've asked about the effective range of the Powertech on this forum before, but now I'm asking how you get into that range. Do you have a charge/leap ability? Can you pull targets towards you? Will I be spending most of my time struggling to get into range, or when I see a group of enemies can I jet-pack into the middle of them and unleash flamethrowers?

It's just demoralising when I see a group of enemies far away as a melee character and I think "Damn, I have to run all the way...". I'd be ecstatic if you had a 20+yard ability where you could jump towards a mob. I just want my combat to flow well, where I don't have to constantly concern myself with where I set up in cover or how I move over to the next mob quickly.

Thanks for any answers you can give, what range of gap-closers does the PT get? The JK (and by extension I assume the SW) get a leap ability in the first few levels... I want that xD

You know, I just went back and watched the Bounty Hunter progression video (something I haven't done for aaggggeeesss) and it shows a lasso/pull move and a jetpack charge/leap move.

So those exist, can someone tell me what levels you get them and what cooldowns they have? I assume they're the only gap-closers, since two is quite generous anyway ^^

Well, we have Grapple which is on a 45 sec cd (35 sec with talents) and Jet Charge (shield tech only) on 15 sec cd. Beside all that, we have abilities with variety of attack range making us versatile fighters (still recommend to be in melee range for full damage, after all we're a melee class). Comparing to SWs, our charge is not a base ability but a talent which quite sucks (only ST and crossover hybrid builds can use it). At early level, you will be helpless since you have absolutely no gap closer (grapple at 22, jet charge at 30). However, this game is not about 1v1, you have guard and taunt which can turn the tides of battle, and the class gets significant better as you level.