rudeness

arathans

maybe i just come from another time of old school mmo players (started back in UO days) but the level of rudeness in this game while questing is far from what ive experienced in any game before.

i cant count how many times ive been clearing an area to get to a chest or quest item just to have someone run through and ninja it while im in mid-fight. This isnt a new thing and has happened for as long as ive been playing mmos but these days it happens just all the time, rather then just once in a while.

i just wish people would be more courteous to other players but thats not going to happen.

/rant

I can see the annoyance, but mostly from what i've seen the game is designed in a way that often, your not losing out, either the quest item stays there, or generally respawns fast enough, and for all the other player knew, you might not have needed the item and may have simply been killing for the xp or bonus missions etc.

gatherable objects however are different, and generally if you snooze you lose, I think alot of people can say they've waited a few seconds for someone to fight the enemies next to the object so you can go get it, yes it's a bit of a **** move, but it sure is funny :)

maybe i just come from another time of old school mmo players (started back in UO days) but the level of rudeness in this game while questing is far from what ive experienced in any game before.

i cant count how many times ive been clearing an area to get to a chest or quest item just to have someone run through and ninja it while im in mid-fight. This isnt a new thing and has happened for as long as ive been playing mmos but these days it happens just all the time, rather then just once in a while.

i just wish people would be more courteous to other players but thats not going to happen.

/rant

No its the teenagers and people who had wow as their first MMO, and yes brother I miss the days of someone taking something I was going after then murdering them in cold blood and taking everything.. its a shame this game isnt that way.

I can see the annoyance, but mostly from what i've seen the game is designed in a way that often, your not losing out, either the quest item stays there, or generally respawns fast enough, and for all the other player knew, you might not have needed the item and may have simply been killing for the xp or bonus missions etc.

gatherable objects however are different, and generally if you snooze you lose, I think alot of people can say they've waited a few seconds for someone to fight the enemies next to the object so you can go get it, yes it's a bit of a **** move, but it sure is funny :)

^^^ carebear

I know of one sub they lost to rudeness: My brother's friend played for like 15 min and asked a question when a bunch of star wars nerds jumped him in chat. He logged off and unsubbed.

Either its star wars nerds or Gen Y kiddies or both. Wait after Jan 21 those kiddies will be back in school, learning self esteem and entitlement.

so far on my server ppl have been really nice, there have been a few times when ppl ninja quest item but other than that if you where the person to clear out the area most players will back off and let u grab the item. but i can see where u r coming from.

I've had this happen a lot, and make it a point, if I see someone else clearing a room, let them grab the quest item first, and trying to make sure everyone in my group (if I'm in one) does the same.

It's the basic kindergarten skill of "wait your turn."

This happened to me yesterday, but I'm the vengeful sort and spent the next hour following the guy around and taking any and all objectives that I could.

But yeah, on one end of the scale this community can be one of the finest, but alot of people make it look like one of the worse. Just a matter of luck I suppose.

I've already abandoned one so called RP server for another, due to rudeness.

Not just what the OP talks of (which is rife but then having seen it in WoW and other MMOs the past few years, I now expect it.

But OOC immaturity, the quality of conversation in guild chat barely above 12 year olds in the playground, AT BEST.

At its worst, it was a guild leader who thinks he can treat everyone like mud OOC because it's a "hardcore military guild", when in truth he clearly has as much military experience as an embittered army cadet who gets picked on by his squad and CO.

It was literally abuse and bullying of guild mates OOC - appalling behaviour.

OP, like you I started IN UO, then SWG - it was a different world then.

One where there wasn't a PC in the bedroom of every whiny "I want I want I want" teenager on the planet.

Our kind are an endangered species - this is the Age of the XBox-kiddie generation.

The fact is, MMO players as a population are becoming more rude, more selfish, less mature, and really quite

It's no wonder they spend all their time on the computer. If they set foot outside and actually inteacted with other people face to face, they would get instant feedback of their behaviour: usually in my day, a smack in the mouth - and after a couple they get the message and do something about themselves rather than be rewarded for their behaviour, which is how it works in today's society.

Glad I got that off my chest - and don't bother arguing or trolling this post, chances are you're the very people I talk about, so your opinion means nothing to me anyhow. It's my final say on the matter from my personal viewpoint and NOBODY will convince me otherwise, I have my own ears and eyes and they work just fine, thankyou.

I've already abandoned one so called RP server for another, due to rudeness.

Not just what the OP talks of (which is rife but then having seen it in WoW and other MMOs the past few years, I now expect it.

But OOC immaturity, the quality of conversation in guild chat barely above 12 year olds in the playground, AT BEST.

At its worst, it was a guild leader who thinks he can treat everyone like mud OOC because it's a "hardcore military guild", when in truth he clearly has as much military experience as an embittered army cadet who gets picked on by his squad and CO.

It was literally abuse and bullying of guild mates OOC - appalling behaviour.

OP, like you I started IN UO, then SWG - it was a different world then.

One where there wasn't a PC in the bedroom of every whiny "I want I want I want" teenager on the planet.

Our kind are an endangered species - this is the Age of the XBox-kiddie generation.

The fact is, MMO players as a population are becoming more rude, more selfish, less mature, and really quite

It's no wonder they spend all their time on the computer. If they set foot outside and actually inteacted with other people face to face, they would get instant feedback of their behaviour: usually in my day, a smack in the mouth - and after a couple they get the message and do something about themselves rather than be rewarded for their behaviour, which is how it works in today's society.

Glad I got that off my chest - and don't bother arguing or trolling this post, chances are you're the very people I talk about, so your opinion means nothing to me anyhow. It's my final say on the matter from my personal viewpoint and NOBODY will convince me otherwise, I have my own ears and eyes and they work just fine, thankyou.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Fully agree, and btw this type of player exists in ever genre of game out there. This age of kiddie console "me me me!" players lack any morale compass, and figure that the internet is anonymous they can get away with anything while they look out for number 1. Goes to show what kind of civilization we'll have as these greedy SOBs get older.

It could be rudeness, but for me i never rule out just plain ignorance. Some people may not even be paying attention to other players when they ""ninja"" something while you are killing everything around that object. Some people are just trying to push through content and just not paying attention.

That being said there are just plain rude and unhelpful people but that is just the way it is, would be better IMO if you could not have more than two toons on a server then people would be more accountable. We have legacy but that can be hidden

Yeah, I beta I accidentally looted something someone else was trying get. I tried to apologize, but he was an. . . let's just say he was less than gracious.

I understand the frustration, having had it myself many times since, but anyone can make an honest mistake. The trick is isolating the honest mistakes from patterns of behavior and "Oh, I'm sorry. . . honest (chucklesnortloser)."

Couldn't have said it better myself. Fully agree, and btw this type of player exists in ever genre of game out there. This age of kiddie console "me me me!" players lack any morale compass, and figure that the internet is anonymous they can get away with anything while they look out for number 1. Goes to show what kind of civilization we'll have as these greedy SOBs get older.

I definitely agree with this. It's hard to find a good gaming group that has the right level of maturity.

lol yes it is annoying but I don't do it and I think it rubs off. If everyone gets the mentality that it happened to them so they are going to do it too then it just gets worse.

However I love to mess with people that do this to me

I was going for an object and a person tried to beat me there and get it. I got it but knew they were going to be a problem if I had to fight mobs to get the next one... So for the next object there was a droid there that I sliced it to stun... they thought I was in combat and tried to sneak past and get it... I got the objective and then stealthed which in turn freed the droid who attacked them lol I was laughing that whole area!

Greetings!

While we do understand that folks can become frustrated with the community at times, threads that focus on the community itself are not on topic for General Discussion. We ask that threads made in General Discussion center on Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. Since this thread is not about the game, we're closing it for being off-topic. Thanks for understanding!