The biggest problem with TOR is the lack of any sort of community impact on the game.

VioletZero

While you could definitely argue that community feedback makes or breaks a lot of internal decisions, I am talking specifically about what this game is about.

The game seems to make a very dedicated effort to making sure that the community has NO effect on how the game plays beyond the bare minimum. Like it seems to detest the idea of letting them take the game in its own direction.

This is the kind of thing that makes me long for the old days when I was playing a few korean MMOs. And those games sucked. But they left one lasting impression, and that is how the community drove the game.

That's why you make an MMO in the first place. To see where it goes. BioWare, I've noticed, seems rather obsessed with the idea of making sure as much as possible goes according to plan. Including how the community expands and develops. It always has to go the way you want it to or else things will change.

Instead of trying to control the community, lay the groundwork for the community to have its stake in the game. Let people build and develop this MMO around them. Let each server form its own personality and even gameplay.

Do you agree with this? Post your thoughts.

Like it seems to detest the idea of letting them take the game in its own direction.

Because it is still Biowares game?

Taking feedback on board is one thing, letting the community dictate the direction of the game is completely different.

The genre has been around since 1997 and your just now figuring this out ....

Actually OP has a point. Not all companies only follow their own direction, many many games companies have their game evolve over time based on community feedback. That's why gaming forums exist, like this one.

I think your worries are unfounded though, game is only just launched, it's too early to say whether Bioware will ignore feedback and stick stubbornly to failed ideas.

The genre has been around since 1997 and your just now figuring this out ....

I've seen games that make good use of the MMO aspect. EVE Online and Star Wars Galaxies are perfect examples. They let the community essentially build the game around them.

I was giving the benefit of the doubt. That maybe BioWare would actually let the community build at least one part of the game. So that the MMO aspect isn't -completely- wasted like it was in WoW.

The MMO aspect in this game really feels like the video game version of 3D in movies. Completely unnecessary and only an excuse to charge extra. Not something that the game actually uses for anything special.

Edited by VioletZero

Actually OP has a point. Not all companies only follow their own direction, many many games companies have their game evolve over time based on community feedback. That's why gaming forums exist, like this one.

This is a different sub-genre than sandbox

That's like buying an FPS and asking why they didn't follow their own direction and put perspective in the third person

This is a different sub-genre than sandbox

That's like buying an FPS and asking why they didn't follow their own direction and put perspective in the third person

I'd only ask that if it got in the way of the game.

This is the case here. The MMO aspect is just an excuse to charge 15 dollars a month. That's all it is. Because you could have made it a regular MORPG with hubs instead of persistent world and it would have made little difference.