Marauders and Companions, oh my!

Blitegrave

You can get through a few mob groups easily without stopping. Having Jaesa around is much more fun than *** Quin or this annoying Twi'lek slave. The other two options.. yeah, what are they? The Lieutenant doesn't deal damage and Broonmark can't tank. Thanks for two useless companions (except them being my slaves and do all the crafting work :p). And if there's a perfect companion for a real Sith, it's Jaesa. She LOVES chaos. So, what more than damage and a fellow that admires you is needed?

Yeah but then if I get to the end of a quest and have to fight a high end gold with massive health its harder with Jaesa, Vette or Pierce etc. Its happened to me before where I tried to fight one of these with Vette and it was a pain in the backside. Whereas with Quinn your ready for anything. I know its the cool thing to not use Quinn, but no matter what anyone says it sure is a damn load easier to use him, and I just want to get to 50 so I am not gimping myself along the way.

Edited by VALDOMINOR

Lets take a sequence of five mob groups, all same level as you, one strong three trash.

This would represent the journey to the second last fight in the class quest on corellia, or if youve got through those, pretty much life at 50 on Ilum doing anything.

Using Vette, I kill a group, channel rage for maybe 3 seconds to et health back, go to the next group.

With quinn, you just kill one group, run to the next, no channel rage.

I kill each group at least 10 seconds faster with vette.

who has the most efficient time spent killing those 5 groups of mobs.

quinn = pvp

jaessa or vette = pve

Lets take a sequence of five mob groups, all same level as you, one strong three trash.

This would represent the journey to the second last fight in the class quest on corellia, or if youve got through those, pretty much life at 50 on Ilum doing anything.

Using Vette, I kill a group, channel rage for maybe 3 seconds to et health back, go to the next group.

With quinn, you just kill one group, run to the next, no channel rage.

I kill each group at least 10 seconds faster with vette.

who has the most efficient time spent killing those 5 groups of mobs.

If you have DPS issues without Vette i feel bad for you son.

I've got 99 problems with Quinn but DPS ain't one.

If you have DPS issues without Vette i feel bad for you son.

I've got 99 problems with Quinn but DPS ain't one.

Not sure where you got dps issues from the post you quoted.

Its a simple, logical fact.

If you have quinn as a healer bot, and I have vette as a dps companion, I kill faster than you.

That doesnt mean I have dps issues, it means vette + me dps is, and always will be, greater than quinn + me dps.

My point was, the argument that because you dont have to channel rage the theory quinn is more efficient is a fallacy at higher level. The mobs go down so much faster using a dps companion, that even allowing a couple of seconds top up health of channel hatred you are still faster/more efficient with the dps than with quinn.

It keeps being repeated in this forum that you have to use quinn to do content, its wrong, and its unfair on people reading it trying to learn the class.

Gear up any of the companions, they will do the job they are designed for and allow you to do the PvE content in this game relatively easily, which you use is down to personal preference really.

I kept Jaesa's gear updated after every planet via spare comms or GTN and was plowing through mobs with ease. It started getting slower late into Voss and then in Corellia cause for some reason, strong mobs there seem to hit like a truck which led to more time spent on Channel Hatred but that's small price to pay when other side of the spectrum is running around with that piece of **** wannabe posh boy scout.

Hell, even the infamous

Lord Draagh in Corellia

turned out to be a simple matter of popping defensive cds and nuking him down in a couple of seconds.

Oh and to whoever said that Quinn is better for pvp - if you're talking about Ilum then I'd like to share the story when i was solo questing there and got ganked by 2 people who were later joined by another 2. Guess what. Jaesa actually soloed one (it was a Guardian sp I can't imagine him having any gear above blue but still) while I soloed the other and got killed by those 2 that joined later.

So yeah, don't underestimate double dps combo. It requires correct usage of defensive tools and gets hard when you're nearing 50 but definately can be done and has its perks.

Edited by gibmachine

So sick and tired of all the "you NEED Quinn to do ANYTHING" posts.

Leveled 1 - 50 without pulling him out once. In fact, he's still in the same gear that he comes with.

1 ~ 32 = Vette

32 ~ 45 = Jaesa

I stopped using Jaesa because I had her affection max'd at that point. I started using other companions to get their affection up, Broonmark was next for me, tanks are really underrated for warriors on the whole IMO. Jaesa's and Vette's DPS is no joke either, keep up on their gear and you'll be shredding through mobs so fast that you wont need/miss Quinn at all.

@OP: Use whoever you like best, you can do 1~50 with whichever companion you want.

are you saying that a companion pwned a player....LOLOLOOOLLLLLL!!!!!!!!LMAOOOOLLOLOLOL HAHAHAHAHAHAHA LOLCAKE xD!!!!!!!

Hard to believe but yeah, she did. He must've had green questing gear or something while she was almost full in lvl 48+ epics (purple, artifact iirc) but still it was fun to watch.

Edited by gibmachine

1. Quinn makes things easy. You can be lazy.

2. Quinn is not actually faster. The stacked AOEs from Vette cut down a lot of time, if you are Annihilation spec. If you are Rage, then your AOE should be sufficient for just about anything you want to AOE.

3. Quinn is not for PvP. Quinn does not have exceptional defenses, and he dies very, very fast. Broonmark is a decent choice because he can take all your duplicate champ gear. Vette is solid for the range spam spam spam spam and she has medium armor. Jaesa has light armor, making her easy as hell to destroy, but her AOE snare is useful.

I've found that vette is better for weak large packs and Quinn is better for longer fights with elites. Vette does rediculous damage and if your anni spec you need her for those larger pulls as you don't have time to make the most use of your self heals.

But in all other situations, Quinn all the way.

As carnage spec, I used Vette until I got Pierce in the mid 30s, and used Pierce all the way to 50. I started gearing Quinn a week or two ago and now he is my best geared companion (with Pierce being a close second). I still prefer Pierce but I'm starting to see why Quinn is so popular.

• 3 weeks later...

As a marauder, you're semi-squishy and rely on a specific rotation of abilities to maximize your dps and survivability. If you fail at making situational choices during combat, or can't handle hitting more than 5 different buttons per fight, maybe you should play something a bit easier.

Playing a marauder, I've not used Quinn past Nar Shadda simply because I kill much faster with a dps companion. I have an easier time with harder fights by burning down the mobs as fast as possible instead of having a half-*** healer with crap dps trying to keep me alive. We're not tanks. Our job to kill things as quickly as possible, not try and outlast them. You want everything around you dead before cloak of pain drops, and you simply can't do that as effectively with Quinn.

With the exception of the 2-man and 4-man heroics on Voss, Belsavis, and Ilum I was able to solo all the content with Jaesa, who was equally geared for her level. As I mentioned earlier, Marauders rely on killing as fast as possible and effectively using our defensive clickies when things get rough.

IMO Quinn is a big, heavy crutch. Try and drop that crutch as soon as you can.

I used Vette until I got Quinn.

I used Quinn until I got Jasea.

I used Jasea until I got Broonmark.

I currently use Broonmark when solo and Jasea when in a group.

If I didn't use Vette for Treasure Hunting crewskill missions (the +5 critical brings in the $$$$), I would have kept using Vette until I got Broonmark.

Edited by Quiet