leveling with bodyguard @ high level?

ArchonSaar

I started leveling bodyguard spec from level 10 so I can't compare dps vs healing for leveling. I used Gault as soon as I could then switched to Torian because I think he is cool. At no point in my leveling did it feel slow or that I lacked any dps. I didn't really use any rotation, but I used death from above any time I could and I would cc lesser mobs with explosive dart and rail shot them.

I think your drop in damage will make you hate it because you CANNOT just sit back and heal your DPS, you have to DPS and heal.

If you do. Galt is the way to go IMO. FYI, I leveled to my mid 30's as full Heals and ended up respecing to where I still have tracer missile and the rest in heals. I think it works well, but I did that because I still need to DPS and tracer missile helps a lot.

Straight Bodyguard leveling for me. Gault is my first choice and most commonly used companion. I never really got into blizz. Skadge is a decent choice too. But as others have said, you can not sit back and heal your companion...especially on harder mobs.

Between space missions, a few PVP groups and questing, I could do a level every few hours while in the 40s.

just tried it and maaaan, it's so much better! Went 24 bodyguard and dumped 4 in arsenal and i don't regret it...I kill elites just as fast, but much safer. Was swarmed by 2 golds + 1 silver and a couple of trash, and didn't die, without using the 60 sec cc.

Well, that and the fact that Torian is top geared helps. He dishes out 7k damage in no time :)

Leveled 10-50 as bodyguard, zero issues, still managed to level faster than anyone in my guild. Played with gault til torian, torian til blizz, then did the rest of my leveling with the little Jawa tank. Had zero issues with any class quests, 2+ heroics, or elites/champions solo. I never found my damage lacking, being able to keep a kolto shell on blizz while I dps my face off is beautiful, and I have real heals in case of emergencies.

Torian and Gault when geared are damage dealing monsters. I tend to open up a weak pack with Death from above, and by the time I'm done bursting down the healthiest survivor, they usually have the rest dead on the ground. I like Torian slightly more because he leaps up into melee keeping me out of any AoE headed his way.

At 38 or 39 I went to Hoth and once I saw the quest with Blizz in the cage I kept doing that questline until I got Blizz. He is a ranged tank class and so I went Bodyguard spec again. I've really enjoyed it honestly, it takes a bit longer to kill non-elites because you have a healer and tank combo.. but let me tell you I have had absolutely no problem soloing any elite mob that comes along. Keeping Blizz healed is very easy and I use my rapid shots, fusion missile, powershot, and that channeled cast one, cant remember the name. I've actually really enjoyed it. I never get even close to dying. Also for smaller packs I open with death from above and they are usually dead or close to it before blizz even gets there. Fusion missile does a ton of dmg, and that exploding knockback missile is also nice if you can get them grouped up.

The next companion you get after blizz is a melee tank and most people say he's better to use than Blizz, and he probably is, but I'll keep using Blizz till 50 because he's do damn cute.

Leveled 10-50 as bodyguard, zero issues, still managed to level faster than anyone in my guild. Played with gault til torian, torian til blizz, then did the rest of my leveling with the little Jawa tank. Had zero issues with any class quests, 2+ heroics, or elites/champions solo. I never found my damage lacking, being able to keep a kolto shell on blizz while I dps my face off is beautiful, and I have real heals in case of emergencies.

I did the same works very very well.

The only problem i had was the 'number one with a bullet' quest (but that quest might be bugged)

It's not so bad but your companions will need the best possible gear to make leveling as a healer not horrible... You can check out some hybrid arsenal/bodyguard specs if you want to do a bit more damage, but I just went straight bodyguard. Even as a healer your damage isn't horrible, if you know when to go all out and dps and when to heal

Use Gault for normal quests and Blizz or Skadge for heroic quests

What I did was get myself some level 40 pvp gear, and as I started replacing it (around 43-44) I gave the old pieces to blizz. Swap in some shield/defense mods and he's g2g... was able to solo some of the 4heroic quests by myself

Also it's much easier to find groups for flashpoints/heroic quests as a healer :D

Edited by Sabsy

I leveled from level 32-50 as Bodyguard. If I could do anything different I'd probably pick up Arsenal up to Muzzle Fluting very early, then continue in Bodyguard spec. You'll want Muzzle Fluting, Supercharged Gas, Critical Efficiency and Empowered Scans. That way you can still do damage, cover healing (which boosts SCG stacks), and then pop SCG for 10 seconds of free powershots. It'll really help you grind through long fights, and it'll make damage dealing/healing very heat efficient.

yes, dont go full bodyguard while leveling, it isnt worth it. You need the first 18 points up to Critical Efficiency if you want to pass as a healer, anything else is optional.

You could even argue that the first 2 tiers in Arsenal help you more with healing then Kolto Shell / Reactive Armor. And it will certainly make your life easier while questing.

I am a full body guard spec. I am level 50 even before heading to corellia and I have outfitted Blizz. We make a great team, just low dps and I have to pitch in alot. Because of the respec costs and my epic gear all medic or healer spec I am sticking full BG, but if I had to do things again I would be a hybid merc and pick up tracer for questing.