Quests, everything = too easy = boring

al_giordino

You sound like a hardcore type of mmo player friend.

Please ignore all the other bioware drone posts.

Unfortunately the game is developed for the casual audience, basically all you need to beat solo quest content is to smash 1,2,3,4.

Content gets much more difficult at raids in hard mode and nightmare mode.

* But if your looking for a challenging solo experience.

* Your going to have to wait, till a new mmo is released.

Personally I am looking forward to try GW2 and still waiting for Lineage 3.

Sigh. Yes OP, ignore the"bioware drone" posts, and instead listen to the "gross exaggeration anti-TOR and pro-GW2" posts. :rolleyes:

Edited by Tarka

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sigh. Yes OP, ignore the"bioware drone" posts, and instead listen to the "gross exaggeration anti-TOR and pro-GW2" posts. :rolleyes:

Well sadly the game he is looking for, is not this one.

* Read his post

If he said this game has "Challenging solo content", I would not post anything.

Edited by Valperion

In North America, well yes.

In Europe and Asia, well no.

Would it not be amazing if they tried to satisfy both audiences at the same time

Would it not be amazing to consider the entirety of the population and not just assume that if one person finds certain circumstances easy, then it applies to the entire game?

Well sadly the game he is looking for, is not this one.

* Read his post

If he said this game is "Amazing", I would not post anything.

Thing is, the OP has not given any examples of why he thinks things are easy. He's just made generic statements and not provided any facts.

For example: the OP could be fighting 4 x "weak" mobs at level 10, and assumes that the entire game is that easy. The fact is that combat encounters in TOR are subtley different to other MMO's. Maybe that is the mistake that the OP is making.

Edited by Tarka

Would it not be amazing to consider the entirety of the population and not just assume that if one person finds certain circumstances easy, then it applies to the entire game?

The game is already focused on the casual audience.

* What is wrong to make the game a bit more challenging.

* It takes a average casual player to hit lv50 within 1 month.

- Yeah that includes the cut scenes.

I don't think that the game should be harder, just have harder content modes available for those that wish it.

I like a good challenge, and I can agree that things could be a bit more difficult. However I won't sit here and argue about a point that is irrelevant, when you are the smaller group, and it's about $$$$, they are always going to go for the bigger group.

Thing is, the OP has not given any examples of why he thinks things are easy. He's just made generic statements and not provided any facts.

For example: the OP could be fighting 4 x "weak" mobs at level 10, and assumes that the entire game is that easy. The fact is that combat encounters in TOR are subtley different to other MMO's. Maybe that is the mistake that the OP is making.

Well then you got a point.

But he would have to answer that question.

I thought, he was talking about progression in general.

He paid for the game as much as you did.

What is wrong if he wants the game to be a bit more challenging.

* Maybe can implement a difficulty setting in the future?

Not everyone wants to hold biowares hand through the whole game.

Again, take my Demon Soul's analogy: Is it reasonable for someone to buy the game and then complain that it's way too hard? After all, those people paid for the game just like everyone else.

No, it's up to the consumer to do some research before purchasing a product. If you want to play a hard game, then study the game reviews a bit before making your purchase. I don't think that's too much to ask for.

The game is already focused on the casual audience.

* What is wrong to make the game a bit more challenging.

* It takes a average casual player to hit lv50 within 1 month.

- Yeah that includes the cut scenes.

• Want Challenge? Go fight several elite mobs or a Champion at the same level as them.
  • Want more Challenge? Do the above without buffs.
  • Want even MORE challenge? Do it without your companion.
  • Want even MORE challenge? Do it below the required level.
  • Want more challenge? Go and solo a Flashpoint or Operation.

The bottom line is this: This isn't a single player game whereby the company already has all the money they can get from a customer. It is therefore NOT good for business to make the leveling process so goddamn hard that it turns people away.

Now, let's make one thing clear, I'm all for a certain degree of challenge. BUT, where it's appropriate. And making the leveling process TOO challenging isn't appropriate.

I've had a few moments where I've said "wow!"

I've had a few moments where I've said "that was cool."

I've had a few moments where I've said "well, that was kind of lame."

I've had a few moments where I've said "HOLY <BLEEP>! THAT WAS AWESOME!"

Far from boring. Boring is standing in a main city waiting for queues for PvP or PvE content and watching an entire gaming community dwindle to nothing more than a room with a ton of people in it doing nothing more than trolling each other.

Again, take my Demon Soul's analogy: Is it reasonable for someone to buy the game and then complain that it's way too hard? After all, those people paid for the game just like everyone else.

No, it's up to the consumer to do some research before purchasing a product. If you want to play a hard game, then study the game reviews a bit before making your purchase. I don't think that's too much to ask for.

That is why I am suggesting a "difficulty setting".

Like for example "Normal / Hard / Nightmare mode".

* For operations.

and

"Normal / Hard mode"

* For flashpoints.

Well then you got a point.

But he would have to answer that question.

I thought, he was talking about progression in general.

Exactly my point, you know what they say about assumptions don't you ;)

Until the OP gives details of specific encounters or scenarios in the game what he considers "easy" then really his generic statements are worthless both to us, and to the devs who might be reading his comments.

That is why I am suggesting a "difficulty setting".

Like for example "Normal / Hard / Nightmare mode".

* For operations.

and

"Normal / Hard mode"

* For flashpoints.

Erm......the game has that. Fill a spot with a companion or two.

Plus, at level 50, there are "hard" versions of the previous instances. I think Operations also have a hard mode too (though I can't be certain).

Please don't jump to the conclusion that I'm some sort of "fanboy". After all, I've been heavily critical of Bioware over the last 2 years or so. But the fact remains that just blurting out how things are "easy" is pointless unless that person has evidence to prove it.

Edited by Tarka

Nobody talks about this but I think this issue is part of the lack of a real "wow" and "excitement" factor as people go about the worlds, leveling, questing and what not.

I mean, there's never really any challenge. Most people I talk to are usually above level for wherever their at. When I take quests at the minimum level they become available to me, they are still extremely easy.

The best moments I've had in video gaming over the past 20+ years is when I face a big challenge and squeak through with a glorious victory, barely escaping death. The last moments of this exciting battle/experience are usually tense as you try to defeat whatever the challenge is while not dying.

In SWTOR, when death is hardly in the realm of possibility unless I make a mistake and aggro two groups of mobs, or fall off a cliff, a lot of the excitement I typically experience with PC gaming is lost.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are this:

As many threads as I see saying this game is too easy, then compare to all the threads I've seen saying it's too hard, that leads me to believe that BioWare has struck the middle quite successfully.

Nothing needs to change. For those that like a more difficult challenge (such as myself), there are hard modes...

Edited by JeramieCrowe

Plus, at level 50, there are "hard" versions of the previous instances. I think Operations also have a hard mode too (though I can't be certain).

Yes, Operations have Standard, Hard and Nightmare.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

• Want Challenge? Go fight several elite mobs or a Champion at the same level as them.
  • Want more Challenge? Do the above without buffs.
  • Want even MORE challenge? Do it without your companion.
  • Want even MORE challenge? Do it below the required level.
  • Want more challenge? Go and solo a Flashpoint or Operation.

The bottom line is this: This isn't a single player game whereby the company already has all the money they can get from a customer. It is therefore NOT good for business to make the leveling process so gosh darn hard that it turns people away.

Now, let's make one thing clear, I'm all for a certain degree of challenge. BUT, where it's appropriate. And making the leveling process TOO challenging isn't appropriate.

Swtor, is both mixture of a singleplayer game and mmo.

* If you didn't notice that yet.

Your challenging list is also quite funny to be honest.

* Want more challenge? Go and solo a Flashpoint or Operation. <--- LOL

* Nice logic you got there.

A "difficulty" option for solo content would be more than enough.

Edited by Valperion

Please don't jump to the conclusion that I'm some sort of "fanboy". After all, I've been heavily critical of Bioware over the last 2 years or so. But the fact remains that just blurting out how things are "easy" is pointless unless that person has evidence to prove it.

Don't be rediculous tarka, adjusting the way you approach combat isn't altering the difficulty settings.

"If you use 50% of your abilities, it's harder."

or...

"I will close my eyes during the combat, that will make it harder!"

That crap doesn't fly, who wants to use 1/4 of the content given to you simply to make it harder.

Can't I have all my abilities and a more difficult setting?

The point is not that everything should be easier or more difficult.

It should be an option for people that like a bigger challenge without having to sacrifice content to do so.

Edited by djsmileey

Swtor, is both mixture of a singleplayer game and mmo.

* If you didn't notice that yet.

Your challenging list is also quite funny to be honest.

* Want more challenge? Go and solo a Flashpoint or Operation. <--- LOL

* Nice logic you got there.

A "difficulty" option would be more than enough.

Obviously I wasn't specific enough, I was talking about "offline" single player type games that have no actual subscription cost.

What's not logical about trying to solo a flashpoint if you think things are too easy?

Or is that perhaps a little *too* challenging? ;)

My point is that suggesting people solo a flashpoint is really no funnier than someone just throwing out random statements like how the game is too easy.

Edited by Tarka

We are talking about solo content...

Implementing a difficulty setting in solo content.

Not just the Operations and the Flashpoints.

How many mmos so far have adjustable difficulty for the solo content? Was this ever an expectation that people actually had?

I personally wouldn't mind if it was added, but this was never something that was promised or expected to my knowledge.

We are talking about solo content...

Implementing a difficulty setting in solo content.

Not just the Operations and the Flashpoints.

The game has that too:

1) Don't solo with a companion.

2) Solo even more mobs at once.

3) Don't use buffs.

4) Go and solo multiple "Elite" mobs or Champions. They often drop rewards.

Let's get down to the bottom of this situation shall we?

One person thinks that the game is easy, they obviously want more challenge. But they aren't content with the fact that the game has different ways to offer challenge, thus catering for different levels of skill.

This reminds me of the "Raiding vs group content" arguments.

Edited by Tarka

The solo pve is incredibly easy:

1) everyone gets companions (healbot)

2) its very easy to over-level the content

3) 1 min CCs on most classes remove the largest threat completely in most encounters.

4) good Gear and mods are incredibly easy to acquire while levelling

5) money is plentiful and meaningless

You put in the time you get the same result as anyone else.

Its hilarious to me when people brag about how good they are in pve group chat as if they are doing something that 100000 other players couldn't do.

While I would like to see a dark souls style of PVE it would probably turn off a lot of casuals who just want to mindless button mash to progress (which I am guilty of).

Edited by FIGHTorFIGHT