The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

How to PvP Effectively as Shield Tech (Explanation on new Style, and Videos)

Moardace

Hey guys, here is a video I uploaded. I talk about the 2 main specs in pvp right now as a shield tech, then talk about my slight alteration of how to play one of this specs.

I then go into a voidstar match and show you first hand some tips and my style first hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z1nJk_xuic

Let me know what you think, I really think this will be the dominate way to play as shield tech in PVP.

First of all your specced as a pyrotech...not shieldtech. And your wasting a ton of DPS by using IGC instead of CGC since you're not even really specced down the shieldtech tree.

I can understand why you use IGC for the guard ability, but if you really like guarding and using a dps spec look at the carolina parakeet build it will probably suit your playstyle more.

Overall i'd say your tactics are alright.

Happy Hunting!

Edited by Linechronic

I had planned on attempting something similar once my respecs reset.

If you are using IGC I'd really suggest Ion Overload and Neural Overload. Being a viable tank without Jet Charge I can buy, but I really think you're going to be hurting without an on demand snare since you don't have a movement speed increase.

Just food for thought.

Edit: Also we're at almost exactly the same Valor. Granted it is in the 40's so I'm not raging that hard, but you got so much luckier on bags it isn't even funny. I've got pants, a gun, and 10000 relics. So while you're playing just bear in mind that I hate you, just a little tiny bit, and that you might owe the RNG gods a goat sacrifice or something.

Edited by chainsawsamurai

Not a fan of running Pyro with IGC. I do switch to IGC if the situation calls for it (like if I get the ball and waiting in front of a fire pit), but I will switch back.

Also, if you're coordinated with your group enough. You can set up aoe on the guarded healer and his tank (carbonite into DFA). This will do an extreme amount of damage to the tank, then just swap over and kill him off with a cc on the healer or continue to pressure the healer and use the shared damage to finish the tank.

First of all your specced as a pyrotech...not shieldtech. And your wasting a ton of DPS by using IGC instead of CGC since you're not even really specced down the shieldtech tree.

I can understand why you use IGC for the guard ability, but if you really like guarding and using a dps spec look at the carolina parakeet build it will probably suit your playstyle more.

Overall i'd say your tactics are alright.

Happy Hunting!

Did you even watch my video or listen to me talk?

The dps you lose is a dot that ticks for 400ish, and crits for 6-800ish. Everything else, including your other dot remains the same.

compared to gaining 10% damage reductions of energy, weapons, kinetic attacks.

5% damage reductions on all damage

15% increased shield chance

and some damage (about 200 when it procs)

and the ability to gaurd..

This is exactly the post I have been looking for. I am running Pyrotech right now, and am frustrated with the lack of medals I have been getting. I can put up some huge damage, and carry teams, especially when I have a healer.

I've gotten 300k in a couple of matches, and a majority of that damage is single target, given Death From Above obviously adds a good amount.

My frustration is that I feel like I have to swap cylinders either in the beginning of the match, or in the middle, in order to pick up the 3-4 defensive medals. This will take me to a total of 6-9 medals, as opposed to the 4 (i believe it could be 5-6) medals that I can achieve when I am using the appropriate cylinder.

Because of this I am tempted to swap over to the hybrid (shield tech focus) spec from now on, but it seems lame that this should be necessary. I am also playing a jedi shadow and am curious if I am going to have to do the same thing with her.

Carbon Copy

40 Powertech

Ven Zallow

You'll find that the damage is less, but your alot more beefy, you live longer and because of that the damage you do is more...in a sense.

You'll still be hitting 3k rail shots and 3-4k TD's. Just won't have such a spammble dot, and you'll miss out on some 6-800 crits from time to time.

If Ion Gas Cyclinder didn't let you use gaurd ether, I would still probbaly use it over CGC because of the pure suvivbility increase from it.

Dude, I really enjoyed your video. I get about 25K in protection just from taunts, but I still have been missing the abitlity to use Guard. I'm going to test it out and see if it fits my playstyle.

And I must say like another guy said before me, I envy your luck on getting gear