Building on other's work

Agammamon

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

LFD is for the lazy plain and simple and never belongs in another MMO again.

Or the people that don't want to waste their time spamming "LF1M heals then GTG" for 45 minutes.

There's a difference between lazy and not wanting to waste time.

WoW's community was trash well before those features were added. It wasn't the features that screwed up the "community". It was the community that did it.

Dual Spec has nothing to do with lazy, nor really does dungeon finder. Convenience, sure. But not laziness or mental challenges.

That game, and this one, are both faceroll easy to play, and neither of them really contain any challenges.

I was there from vanilla...from the day it launched in fact. And yes these features ruined the community...not only gameplay wise...but the feeling of community itself. Before dungeon finder you had to talk to people...find out if they are ready and/or attuned for a certain objective and such...then talk gear (and then came gearscore *gasp*) etc etc.

Same with dual spec...the fact that you gave that to people made them less interested to go outside their own little circle and look for someone to fill another role...yeah they could switch before but since it came at a cost at least it encouraged you to try something else.

People like to disguise laziness as convenience but it is what it is... The fact that they are not challenging enough is the devs own fault since they listen to what the whiny "i cant beat this encounter so nerf it" crowd says.

I was there from vanilla...from the day it launched in fact. And yes these features ruined the community...not only gameplay wise...but the feeling of community itself. Before dungeon finder you had to talk to people...find out if they are ready and/or attuned for a certain objective and such...then talk gear (and then came gearscore *gasp*) etc etc.

Same with dual spec...the fact that you gave that to people made them less interested to go outside their own little circle and look for someone to fill another role...yeah they could switch before but since it came at a cost at least it encouraged you to try something else.

People like to disguise laziness as convenience but it is what it is... The fact that they are not challenging enough is the devs own fault since they listen to what the whiny "i cant beat this encounter so nerf it" crowd says.

It's a slow burn, little things pecking away at the larger unit as a whole. It makes it so that you can't point to one feature that causes the deterioration of community, but rather the sum of the constituent parts. And since it's people we are talking about, behavior follows game changes, which follow behavior, which follow... etc.

Thanks :D though it really does pain me to say what I'm saying, because I my expectations for the game are way off from the actual product.

Same here. Years of so-called "video game" development has led to a launch that shows us about 5% "game" and 95% "video". It's unfortunate.

I came in round about BC or thereabouts. No LFG, no Dual Spec. I never much used LFG cause I had friends in my guild. Used the heck out of Dual Spec though... cause I had friends in my guild. Some people can be kinda insular and only really want to play with people they know, and trust. Personally, I *hate* pugs with a passion. I'm much rather do things with friends than not do them at all. In fact, if I wasn't with a good group of people now, I doubt I'd be playing this game.

Challenging content is one thing. Allowing flexibility for a player is completely another. Say I want to run a FP with my friends. However, my friends are a tank, another healer, and another tank. If we had DS, I could swap to DPS, and one of the tanks could as well. There, we have a 4 person group that can take on all comers.

Without it... things take forever to die as we throw 2 tanks and 2 healers at content balanced for T/H/DPS/DPS.

... Allowing flexibility for a player is completely another. Say I want to run a FP with my friends.

I played LoTRO several years ago, when they introduced the Warden and Rune-keeper classes. Now, I'm not saying that LoTRO does everything right (though I think they do a lot of things spot-on) but I want to mention that the Rune-keeper class utilizes a type of "new thing" in combat that I was speaking about. You slowly attune yourself through spells to either heal or DPS--you do this in combat, and you suffer penalties for switching attunement mid-stream. I actually thought it was quite innovative and a fun mechanic--no dual specs, no spamming LFG for DPS or heals, and no keeping 3 sets of gear in the bank.

With enough innovation, and player feedback, you could really spice up combat and even allow each class to take on multiple roles through attunement, stances, etc. I don't believe we can throw out the trinity just yet, but one could certainly come up with better ways to satisfy the various needs of a group. In fact, one of the most widely loved flashpoints in the game requires no dedicated healer or tank.

I played LoTRO several years ago, when they introduced the Warden and Rune-keeper classes. Now, I'm not saying that LoTRO does everything right (though I think they do a lot of things spot-on) but I want to mention that the Rune-keeper class utilizes a type of "new thing" in combat that I was speaking about. You slowly attune yourself through spells to either heal or DPS--you do this in combat, and you suffer penalties for switching attunement mid-stream. I actually thought it was quite innovative and a fun mechanic--no dual specs, no spamming LFG for DPS or heals, and no keeping 3 sets of gear in the bank.

With enough innovation, and player feedback, you could really spice up combat and even allow each class to take on multiple roles through attunement, stances, etc. I don't believe we can throw out the trinity just yet, but one could certainly come up with better ways to satisfy the various needs of a group. In fact, one of the most widely loved flashpoints in the game requires no dedicated healer or tank.

That actually sounds pretty darn cool.

And you're talking about Essellesselsellesesles yes?