Building on other's work

Agammamon

Doesn't it seem like BW failed to capitalize on the lessons learned by experience in other MMO's?

Not about how the gameplay or graphics are - but the stuff around the game, things like UI, graphics settings, dungeon finders, group finders, mail, and auctionhouse functionality.

Its as idf they looked at a 2005 version of WOW and just copied and failed to include the innovations that have come about in the last 5 years.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, This MMO is basically everything we already have with WoW. And wow got some l stuff from EQ but WoW was it's own game. This is exactly copy paste of WoW except with a rough combat system. My jedi knight is already 50 and I really miss WoWs 's smooth combat so much. Can't wait for Pandaria <3 Edited by Sevenpifers

SWTOR is revolutionary. It's really depressing you don't see it.

Only thing revolutionary is the story narrative/writing/presentation and the Crafting aspect is a diamond in the rough.

Everything else was like Bioware played Burning Crusade for a year, and then lived in a bubble since then.

Only thing revolutionary is the story narrative/writing/presentation and the Crafting aspect is a diamond in the rough.

Everything else was like Bioware played Burning Crusade for a year, and then lived in a bubble since then.

I'll give you crafting. That's actually a pretty interesting way of doing it.

Quests dressed up with voiceovers and cutscenes is just that, window dressing. Its pretty, and yeah, it helps limit the grind some, but replayability suffers when you realize that all of the non class quests are the same, and past 25ish or so, the concentration of class questage drops significantly.

They spent too much effort and money making it look pretty without making sure it works.

As I play the game, it just feels as if the developers were out of their league (in terms of MMO design). It's the little things that add up to insurmountable feelings of frustration and anger--little nit picks here and there that having me shaking my head constantly. Beyond all else, Bioware has taken the concept of an amusement park style experience and actually made me feel like I'm questing in McDonald's Playland™. I'm literally KILLED for walking 100yds off the road. And about this heroic gameplay experience-- I'm not feeling it when my $44,000 STAP explodes into pieces from the 15hp bite of a womp rat. Give me a break. It's absolutely not going to have any staying power like this...audiences want more freedom and this is literally a step backward. Edited by Traumahawk

As I play the game, it just feels as if the developers were out of their league (in terms of MMO design). It's the little things that add up to insurmountable feelings of frustration and anger--little nit picks here and there that having me shaking my head constantly. Beyond all else, Bioware has taken the concept of an amusement park style experience and actually made me feel like I'm questing in McDonald's Playland™. I'm literally KILLED for walking 100yds off the road. And about this heroic gameplay experience-- I'm not feeling it when my $44,000 STAP explodes into pieces from the 15hp bite of a womp rat. Give me a break. It's absolutely not going to have any staying power like this...audiences want more freedom and this is literally a step backward.

Spot on.

Quests dressed up with voiceovers and cutscenes is just that, window dressing. Its pretty, and yeah, it helps limit the grind some, but replayability suffers when you realize that all of the non class quests are the same, and past 25ish or so, the concentration of class questage drops significantly.

Yeah I am dreading making a new alt, if I ever do make one.

I really do not want to go through Tattooine again.

Yeah I am dreading making a new alt, if I ever do make one.

I really do not want to go through Tattooine again.

For me its Taris.

Oh god, Taris.

I still have nightmares of that place. Like I'm in a canyon with thousand foot high impenetrable walls, beset on all sides by rakghouls.

Revolutionary in the form of integrating (or even having) a story at the PC level - noting else about it is revolutionary or even evolutionary.

Oh, and another thing - they don't have in-game voice-chat. DDO had that at roll-out.

DDO lol, that game was an epic fail hence the reason it went F2P to claw back customers.

It had Vo sure but was broken, buggy and a real mess.

Also WoW and many other games did not launch wit VOIP.

You people do realize that WoW's work isn't Open Source right? They aren't literally handed all the work it took Blizzard SEVEN YEARS to make and do, they have to start from SCRATCH. Many of you may not know what coding a game entails but not everything is so easy as you may think it is.

Now watch as my comment goes ignored as it brings logic to this horrid cesspool of idiocy.

Yeah, This MMO is basically everything we already have with WoW. And wow got some l stuff from EQ but WoW was it's own game. This is exactly copy paste of WoW except with a rough combat system. My jedi knight is already 50 and I really miss WoWs 's smooth combat so much. Can't wait for Pandaria <3

WoW has smooth combat lol, Toons just hitting each other randomly until one guy dies ROFl.

WoW has even had to add panders now to retain its under 12 year old market, game is just a joke now.

You people do realize that WoW's work isn't Open Source right? They aren't literally handed all the work it took Blizzard SEVEN YEARS to make and do, they have to start from SCRATCH. Many of you may not know what coding a game entails but not everything is so easy as you may think it is.

Now watch as my comment goes ignored as it brings logic to this horrid cesspool of idiocy.

Not logical at all. Sorry. Sure WoW isn't open source, but a lot of the lacking things could have been developed in the 5 years of development time that ToR has had. They've spent over a hundred million dollars on producing this game... and this is honestly the best they could come up with?

I call Shenanigans.

Your point is legitimate, but is it not fair to say that BioWare's work over the last few years has obviously been focused on trivial aspects of the game instead of foundational gameplay systems?

Their *code* is proprietary, but the idea of a dungeon finder is not. If it couldn't be copied simply because someone else has already done it the TOR wouldn't exist at all since it is functionally WOW with a SW skin.

Not logical at all. Sorry. Sure WoW isn't open source, but a lot of the lacking things could have been developed in the 5 years of development time that ToR has had. They've spent over a hundred million dollars on producing this game... and this is honestly the best they could come up with?

I call Shenanigans.

I love it when people talk about hings they know nothing about, makes me lol.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.