The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Trouble deciding on a leveling build

FrostTrooper

So I'm trying to figure out what direction to go in, build wise, for leveling. I'm currently 29 and have bounced around from a few different builds. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to build my character. I mostly play solo, but do team occasionally.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Does ST prove to be more efficient than Pyro for leveling? Currently level 30 myself, full pyro. Damage is alright, nothing fancy. Would it be quicker going full ST to start (creating less recup time) and doing less overall damage?

The advantage in shieldtech is that it can begin to outlast and kill things that a full pyro can't because mako just couldn't keep up. Also once it gets 2 points in flame shield the rocket punch spam begins. My PVE rotation was at times literally: Rocket punch, flame burst, Rocket punch, explosive dart, Rocket punch, unload, Rocket punch, etc. There is a great amount of damage potential in constant rocket punches.

I agree with what Shivus posted.

I have only played as Shield Tech (and only use Mako as companion: I tank, she heals, probably slower on most mobs I guess, but I never die, even on multiple elites etc., just plod along), so I cannot say anything about Pyro' builds.

But, one difference seems obvious to me: as Shield Tech you will find groups as a tank (for Heroic +2 / +4 quests & Flashpoints) whereas you will be going for a DPS slot as a Pyro'.

I don't think one is better than the other, but it does make a difference in what you'll be doing (my role, as tank, is making sure I keep aggro' on the main target, and then try to get aggro' on as many others as I can, while doing some damage, of course. And, often - but not always - I decide the order in which we will take down the mobs, and which will be cc-ed, and I mark them). Whereas as DPS I imagine you mainly will be blasting as much as you can while trying not to peel things off onto you.

All this is only for boss fights and such, not trash mobs - but I mean no disrespect to thos trash mobs, what is the politically correct term for trash mobs?

Just saying that so you should also choose your build according to how you feel about being the tank vs. DPSing and which better suits you.

I played AP until 40, and i found it okay for regular questing.

The FT with 5 stacks is great when you can position yourself so your cone hits multiple mobs.

But since 40 i have used a pure pyro build, which hits much harder, and is much more mobile and you can kite bosses with ease.

So dispite missing the FT at times, i haven't looked back since 40 and i plan on using a full pyro build at 50, or experiment with the small alterations to the pyro build.

I leveled to 33 as ST and it was about what you would expect; safe and slow. I'm a 35 Pyro now, and there's absolutely no way I'd ever go back to ST for leveling. I have no idea what leveling as Pyro would be like before 33, but I don't think the spec would be much good without PPA (18 points.)

If I had to start from scratch, I'd probably level as ST until 27 then switch over to Pyro.

I leveled to 40 with a full ST build and it was a blast, though starting from around level 35 it did get a lot slower because mob health would really spike. At 40 I switched to a full Pyro build and never looked back since then.

But I guess you really need a lot of points in the tree for Pyro to shine, Shieldtech is awesome from the start pretty much.

Right now, running with Mako and ST I do really well. Sometimes mobs live longer than they probably should because I don't hit as hard, but I don't die very often. I just hit 30 and I'm considering a Pyro build to up my damage.

Do you always run with Mako as your companion for the heals?