MMORPG.com's hard look at crafting

Nanfoodle

Click HERE!

This makes me very sad as I am now making level 45 items in cybertech and really looking forward to being an end game crafter. After reading this and other post in the "crews skills" forums I wonder how long till almost everyone changes to biochem? Any other hard core crafters starting to wonder what BW plans on doing about this? Its sad but this is the most fun I have had crafting EVER!

Another irk is why I can only post 50 items on the AH. I make 4 different lines of loot. Earings, Armouring, Modification, Droid parts, Making just a few for each class and roll for one level and my AH is capped. This really hurts people who like to craft hard core. I dont want to live in the trade channel.

What do you mean analytical flaws? You dont agree?

How about the fact that SR has already posted that they are going to fix end game gear .... armor mods and set bonuses.

No I didn't read the article, but we all know what is there stinks right now. They are fixing it cause even they know.

How about the fact that SR has already posted that they are going to fix end game gear .... armor mods and set bonuses.

No I didn't read the article, but we all know what is there stinks right now. They are fixing it cause even they know.

Could you link me to this please? I'm very much interested if this is true.

Thats good to hear =-) Anyone have a link to that? I would love to read it myself.

Except for the part it didnt say that they were going to have crafting have higher level goods as much as it was you can remove high items to be placed into an item of your choice.

This helps crafters, because they have the largest variety of custom items available. One of the reasons that people say demand for orange items is lower at the high end is because the best items have bonuses that can't be transferred.

What do you mean analytical flaws? You dont agree?

There are several, but just as one example, the article talks about the competition from mod vendors for artifice at the end game in terms of hilts, but doesn't mention the lack of competition from vendors for crystals, which apply to a larger audience anyway.

This helps crafters, because they have the largest variety of custom items available. One of the reasons that people say demand for orange items is lower at the high end is because the best items have bonuses that can't be transferred.

I would argue that while you may see a small bump in sales that many people have found or will re acquire items that they liked the look of. After that youre selling them something that in the end they are NOT going to change. Unlike mods, which would be the primary source of cash from trades. However, if players could make said mods and sell them to other players as opposed to them dropping or being traded for commendations.

In the end bichem still becomes better as the items you create will either be needed by other players or you will just use it for the top end buffs it gives.

Dev Tracker is your friend :) ... oh and it wasn't SR ... my bad

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1398252#edit1398252

That doesn't say anything about them fixing crafting. All that says, is that they are going to fix it so that you can take the mods out of the current endgame gear, so that you can put them in the orange gear you like.

I see nothing that addresses the lack of comparable mods being craftable, or any other issue that some believe crafting has at endgame.

There should be bonuses for using a full set of crafted sets and or item modifications. BW does need to make a demand for crafted items.

I would argue that while you may see a small bump in sales that many people have found or will re acquire items that they liked the look of. After that youre selling them something that in the end they are NOT going to change. Unlike mods, which would be the primary source of cash from trades.

Why do people think that mods change more often than items? I may need more of them at once, but I don't keep putting them in unless better ones come out. Moreover, I'm just as likely to pull old mods out of an item and put them into a new one that I get as I am to pass up on buying a new item because I like the look of my old one.

It's a common misconception that the existence of moddable gear early on means that no one will want to change how they look. I have a moddable robe right now that I think is okay, but I would upgrade to a different one that I thought looked better. Of course you don't know what I like, and I don't know what is or will be available, so that is a bigger barrier to trade than the actual game design.

The dev tracker post doesn't address every problem, but it addresses one: the "I would buy this better looking orange from the GTN but I don't want to lose my set bonus on this horrible-looking tier gear" problem. The tier looks are limited, and the custom looks are much more varied, so there's a larger audience for that stuff once they make it so that you aren't downgrading to use it.

Why do people think that mods change more often than items? I may need more of them at once, but I don't keep putting them in unless better ones come out. Moreover, I'm just as likely to pull old mods out of an item and put them into a new one that I get as I am to pass up on buying a new item because I like the look of my old one.

It's a common misconception that the existence of moddable gear early on means that no one will want to change how they look. I have a moddable robe right now that I think is okay, but I would upgrade to a different one that I thought looked better. Of course you don't know what I like, and I don't know what is or will be available, so that is a bigger barrier to trade than the actual game design.

The dev tracker post doesn't address every problem, but it addresses one: the "I would buy this better looking orange from the GTN but I don't want to lose my set bonus on this horrible-looking tier gear" problem. The tier looks are limited, and the custom looks are much more varied, so there's a larger audience for that stuff once they make it so that you aren't downgrading to use it.

That is a huge problem and a heart break for crafters. Wonder if BW will take this into account?

That doesn't say anything about them fixing crafting. All that says, is that they are going to fix it so that you can take the mods out of the current endgame gear, so that you can put them in the orange gear you like.

I see nothing that addresses the lack of comparable mods being craftable, or any other issue that some believe crafting has at endgame.

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out how that was supposed to be about crafting. Just mentions they'll let people switch out more items to customize. Woo.....

I really wish they would put more thought and consideration into crafting ....and not just bioware. Most MMO's fail the crafting game. And honestly, if done well, the crafting game can be a really nice side game (for some ppl it becomes the game) that keeps people interested in a mmo while they await new content at max level or whatever.

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out how that was supposed to be about crafting. Just mentions they'll let people switch out more items to customize. Woo.....

The overwhelming majority of custom items come from crafting. The proposed changes will make custom items more attractive an option to people who do endgame content, because they will be able to take their end-game bonuses and put them into whatever items they want, which was a very significant damper on demand for custom items from that crowd.

Opening up custom items to a previously unserved market increases demand for custom crafted items, and increased demand for custom crafted items is a benefit to the people who craft those items. That is how it is about crafting.

Edited by TrevNYC