The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Multi-target threat issues or game mechanics? I'm not sure.

Manjiyomi_Jun

Let me start by saying that I am not sure if this is an issue with me or just a boss mechanic acting as intended. I am going to get a little specific in this post but will touch on a broader tanking question by the end.

I was doing Mandalorian Raiders last night. During the first boss, I was constantly losing the attention of the first boss. I say "attention" because, again, I am not sure if this is me or if he just does this normally. I would have him kited away from the group and every few seconds he would turn away from me and run towards my group, who was on the other side of the room fighting the dogs. He would do this right about the time my taunt would come off cooldown, so I could grab him back. It seems strange that this would happen but I rarely every loss single target threat except on this guy. On the final boss, I was able to hold aggro on both him and both turrets by him, so this confused me.

We made it to the second boss and I spent most of the fight grabbing up people who lost aggro on me. It seems that multitarget boss fights are tough for me, even when I have dps focusing down my target. The main issue I have run into is there being virtually 0 room for error. If I switch targets or am not attacking the focus target 100% of the time, he leaves. This is especially frustrating when the Sith Warrior uses force push. It knocks me down is a basically guaranteed that he goes elsewhere.

I am not complaining. I love an uphill battle. I just want to know how I need to adjust to make this work. I use a 1:1 Hammershot ratio in between each attack. Should be be doing 1:2 or 1:3 hammer shot to ability ratio for high threat? Should I open with a ton of moves, then blow recharge cells and use my 1:1 after threat has been established? I use Stockstrike everytime it is up. I keep Ion Pulse's debuff up with itself or explosive surge. I use explosive surge about every other attack when in a group fight and Sticky Grenade when it's up. Would Ion Pulse be worth integrating?

Thanks for any feedback I get from this. Feel free to ask me anything about my play style(gear,rotation,etc). I love tanking and wanna step my game up to meet the ridiculously awesome challenges that flashpoints bring.

tl;dr: take your Ritalin and read it.

It is the one with the dogs, but I am tanking the guy.

Both will drop aggro (dogs & boss), just save taunt for when he gets froggy.

It might be an ability he has, that randomly targets another person, does X thing to them, and supposed to return to top threat. However, if that is the case it fails. So assume it's an aggro dump, and taunt him.

Yeah I had this issue the first few times i tanked it. What we did in the end was take the dogs all the way out to the other end, you can take them or the boss all the way down to the entrance.

That way when the aggro drops you have DAYS to get it back, even if your taunt is down.