Jedi Romance options

Captain_Science

So if you're a male Jedi, you'll get some female companions with whom you can forge a romantic relationship (and similarly females get male ones but my character is a dude so enough about that).

It's against the Jedi code to fall in love, and in fact, on Tython there's a quest where you have to blow the whistle on 2 padawans who are too intimate.

My question is, does it mess up your lightside alignment or anything to pursue a romantic relationship with one of your companions if you're a Jedi?

To put it in perspective, I think you get 150 ds points or so for that one-time thing of proposing or accepting marriage- maybe 50 dsp at a time for kissing or black-screening or whatnot. That kind of pales in comparison to the amount of ls points you rack up on quests and dialog options if you choose to otherwise be a do-gooder. My 30th level knight flirts or otherwise forges relationships whenever she gets a chance, and is still Light 3+.

Also, as far as I can tell right now, things are modular enough that outside of quest dialog, your ls/ds alignment doesn't have a huge impact on your story.

Edited by Meira_Arirai

Last time i checked jedi couldn't be romantically involved. And i'm not refering to the episode II-III, in the initial quest of the jedi there's one where your masters point you that jedi can't be involved because it's a sin and you can go to the dark side and bla bla blah.

So, if you're a jedi and the game has logic you can't be married or loved or... whatever.

I think we're confusing the proscriptive and descriptive versions of the word "cannot".

Jedi cannot-proscriptive (i.e. it's not allowed by the arbiters of moral authority in the mainstream Order at this point in the timeline) have exclusive, possessive romantic relationships.

However, your Jedi can-descriptive (as in, it is possible both from a game mechanics perspective and totally workable in the story) pursue a romantic relationship with one of your crew members. You will not be drummed out of the order, and you will not grow yellow eyes, wrinkles, or nasty teeth overnight because of it.

I think we're confusing the proscriptive and descriptive versions of the word "cannot".

Jedi cannot-proscriptive (i.e. it's not allowed by the arbiters of moral authority in the mainstream Order at this point in the timeline) have exclusive, possessive romantic relationships..

Or non-exclusive :cool:

But it's curious because one of the protagonists, certain jedi woman will have in the future a son with somebody without name that will be... an spy for the Republic?

From a STORY PoV, (as in, not real life or real morals) this has always confused me. The Jedi are 'ok' with casual non commital relationships but against dedicated monogamous 'soulmate' type ones. Surely the 'essence' of serial (or single) non commital relationships (ie, everything except love) is selfishness or egocentricity? Doesn't seem to gel to me with what I imagine (from the movies not the books) Jedi to represent.

From a STORY PoV, (as in, not real life or real morals) this has always confused me. The Jedi are 'ok' with casual non commital relationships but against dedicated monogamous 'soulmate' type ones. Surely the 'essence' of serial (or single) non commital relationships (ie, everything except love) is selfishness or egocentricity? Doesn't seem to gel to me with what I imagine (from the movies not the books) Jedi to represent.

It's all in how you frame it.

Basically, traditional Jedi would uphold that they are married to the Order, to the light side of the Force, or whatever. To commit to something else would be selfish, egocentric, and unfaithful.

The Force (or the head writer at Bioware) seems to feel differently: having love and passions for things outside of the Force can inspire one to greatness if handled with wisdom and maturity, or be the short road to ruin if personal passions lead to choices that are not in the best interests of all lifeforms at hand.

What you do in this interpretation of the universe aren't so important as how and why you do it.

Also, there were several Jedi who disagreed with this and refused to adhere to that belief:

Nejaa Halcyon who during the Clone wars sat on the council had a secret wife and child. But it said that he always thought Yoda knew of their existance.

But he was a member of the Corellian Jedi's who all felt it was ok to marry, regardless of how the council felt about marriages.

But I agree with you. Raising up Jedi to say "Casual flings are fine with other people, just don't get attached to them" makes the who order seem "shallow" some how. :p

So:

You can be a jedi involved with anyone that it's not a jedi... wait a minute... Amidala wasn't a jedi... aaahhh, ok. You can have sex with the universe IF it's not your soulmate... or jedi.

That's the best part of Star Trek, you can sleep with he, she or it or s/he or anything without problems :eek:

BTW.. what species was Yoda?