The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Which PT tree is better for PvE levelling?

Morticoccus

I've been going advanced prototype so far but at level 23 the damage I can dish out just seems to be dropping fast when compared to the health/armor of the enemy.

So should I respec pyro? I mean, most of the damage that actually kills stuff seems to come from my elemental damage abilities, so...

Then there's tanking, but honestly I've not enjoyed PvE tanking in any game I've played so far.

Yes, Pyro does awesome damage, if you want straight DPS then put in your Combustible and just go straight up the pyro tree grabbing everything that does damage. I have no idea how much DPS I actually do right now but I destroy everything I touch

Just make sure you keep Mako around to keep you alive :p

I use prototype for leveling and I've watched myself drop strong/elite mobs as fast if not faster then a full DPS merc. Of course you need Mako out and geared to stay alive, Blizz could tank for you but too much downtime in between fight.

The rotation I used at that level was Explosive Dart > Flame Thrower > Retractable Blade > Flame burst with railshot tossed in here and there.

Edited by SpiderRevenge

I think the usefulness of the pyro tree drops after getting the explosive fireball dot ability (forget name, 3rd tier). After getting that ability I went for retractable blade in prototype tree and the dmg between those dots + the combustible canister (if you perked into flameburst proc) is very very good dmg. Better than fully investing into pyro tree imo.

I think the usefulness of the pyro tree drops after getting the explosive fireball dot ability (forget name, 3rd tier). After getting that ability I went for retractable blade in prototype tree and the dmg between those dots + the combustible canister (if you perked into flameburst proc) is very very good dmg. Better than fully investing into pyro tree imo.

This is completely incorrect. Pyro blooms after getting Prototype Particle Accelerator in the 4th tier, and really comes into its own as a hard hitting DPS spec after filling out the 5th tier.

This is completely incorrect. Pyro blooms after getting Prototype Particle Accelerator in the 4th tier, and really comes into its own as a hard hitting DPS spec after filling out the 5th tier.

Would a Pyro leveling build be pretty much the same as the raiding dps build listed on SithWarrior?

I just switched over at level 23, and I'm excited about it.

Would a Pyro leveling build be pretty much the same as the raiding dps build listed on SithWarrior?

I just switched over at level 23, and I'm excited about it.

4/6/31 is the prototypical Pyro build. You'll hit a bit of a lull in your late 20's and early 30's, but that's true of most archetypes.

Only lv 33 at the moment..

Advanced prototype seems to be less damage but less.downtime than Pyro due to the passive heat venting. It also seems to have slightly better aoe than Pyro. But if you enjoy killing things fast.. sadly Pyro is the only way to go.

Until you get to 30 it doesn't matter what tree you have your talents in, there's not enough talents to make a real difference.

I leveled almost exclusively as a shield tech + Mako the entire game, never once found a challenge I couldn't easily beat or kite while my heat vented.

If you like dps, you have to be a pyrotech. AP is crap.

Edited by Virindi_UO

So far the only build I havn't tried is shield tech...

While I agree that the builds generally bloom late (As do most builds in this game, level 36 hidden strike I'm looking at you.) I think the one I had most fun with so far is AP, even though it takes longer to kill stuff you don't overheat all the time.

I'm leveling great as shield tech. Any standard enemies still drop in just a couple rounds of abilities (flamethrower then 1-2 flame sweeps) and strongs only take a couple rocket punches and a rail shot more, with rocket punch cooldown being reset constantly from shield absorbs. With Mako, I never have to stop to regain health or drop heat.